Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched on the forum for haunt walls and there are alot of different ways to build haunt walls. Prior to moving my haunt out of our garage at our previous home, I used pallets as I could get them from work and they worked out great. This will be my 2nd year at the new home and last year we only did a yard display to see how the display was received in our new neighborhood. We got a good response so this year I wanted to up the game a bit. My thought are to make a candy room at the walkway to the front of my home. I am going to use a 10x10 pop up tent and would like to take walls and attach them to the tent frames. Has anyone tried this before and if so, how did you attach your walls to the frames. I am looking to use plywood panels most likely to add durability and weight to the tent. Thanks in advance to any and all suggestions.

1,568 Posts
We've used pop ups in the past, many years ago. Our first venture was using office clips (binder clips) and black plastic. Basically clipped the plastic to the supports with the binder clips... worked well for a one night thing.

Moved on to using spray adhesive to marry weed block cloth to LONG plastic scene setters. Again used binder clips to attach to the metal supports and legs.The weed block was cheap and added needed weight to the plastic to keep it from blowing around so bad, and kept it light weight enough not to damage the pop up supports. Good for one night maybe more if the wind isn't bad.

Last incarnation was taking the weed block/scenes putting some grommets in, then building some 2x2 wood frames large enough to fit just inside the legs of the pop up and just resting on the ground to keep weight low. Using the ball bunges we attached the weedblock/scenes to the wood frame AND then to the metal supports and legs of the pop up (through the grommets). Really kept the wind at bay, kept the weight down, and made for ease settiig up and compact enough for storage.

No matter what pop ups never did better then one night... wind. rain and the added weight of walls would have it's way too often. We switched gears got ourselves a couple of Harbor Freight Carport buildings with walls. They are 10X20, sturdier then pop ups. The earlier carnations of our walls still work with these buildings PLUS the roof can take the added weight of things hanging down from above. I got a couple of Habour Freight truck cargo nets attached them to the peak, stretched to the wall supports and was able to hang things like jute rope, pool noodles fake chains, fairy lights... you get the idea. Want the outside to look different then plain white or yellowish tarp you can do the weed block trick and spray adhesive a scene setter to it. Or if arttistic enough paint a scene of fabric and hang that. Yes they are harder to get up but they will in general take more abuse then any pop up I've used in the past. Only heavy snow or tree branches falling on them has take them out. When I used pop ups every season there was some kind of damage to it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the carport canopy. I'm in Florida so the only natural disaster I have to worry about is a hurricane since it's hurricane season still. Would you have any pictures of your tent setup you could share? I would like to see how it looks so I can see how well it will look.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I second the Carport or Portable garage. Popup shelters/Party Tents always seem to be a crap shoot and lucky to get a season out of them. I tried the party tent and collapsed under the rain. Went to a CarPort and would never look back except maybe to the portable garage route, which I'm playing this year with as got a Harbor Freight one after Halloween. Like fact the are fairly cheap and now sell replacement covers for them. Downsides for me as its 3 ft shorter than my 10x20 would say it would take a little bit longer to setup the frame as more to it, but the way mine is modified with additional supports should be actually quicker.

For my the Carport was to light as coverings were white, I first started putting the top and sides on and then tarp overthat. Over the past few years started putting black plastic over the whole thing but did not use the shelter sidewalls just the roof. The 6 leg shelter always had a lot of blow in so at first I used fence posts in the middle to help but eventually built PVC framing to go at each half point roof and sides and put in a bottom rail along with framing for a back wall. Works great but its a lot of parts and taping the ends on takes a while and a lot of work.

My thinking is the portable garage will be the same structure with a lot less parts, the cover is still to light. Not sure how this will work as not meant for it, it will probably crack and peel but thinking about painting the whole thing with probably a dark brown need it dark but that way give it more of a cave feeling. If it doesn't work I just replace the covers these ones are pretty cheap, not like the prices shelter logic wants, but they do have nicer cover and is dark inside where the Harbor freight one has a lot of light coming through.

1,568 Posts
This is from the year we did an alien theme in 2018. We were just starting set up and dang if I never got to finished photos.

Plant Tree Window Tarpaulin Shade

Before anyone asks the front of the "ship" is a wood frame with painted cloth stretched over and stapled to the wood. It's light weight, one person can carry one panel easily. You can see the carport in back has black plastic over the walls to darken it.

Textile Mesh Wall Grass Wire fencing

Here's the cargo net added to the peak. Half the carport was an extension of the "ship", sleeping pods, the back half was a "cargo" bay if hanging stuff.
Water Mesh Line Wire fencing Shade

Wood Architecture Sky Biome Electricity

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pictures. It gives me an idea of how this type of canopy could work well for me. I will definitely be looking into this to start getting ready for this Halloween. Question, did you have more than one room under the canopy of was it setup more as a walk through?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I second the Carport or Portable garage. Popup shelters/Party Tents always seem to be a crap shoot and lucky to get a season out of them. I tried the party tent and collapsed under the rain. Went to a CarPort and would never look back except maybe to the portable garage route, which I'm playing this year with as got a Harbor Freight one after Halloween. Like fact the are fairly cheap and now sell replacement covers for them. Downsides for me as its 3 ft shorter than my 10x20 would say it would take a little bit longer to setup the frame as more to it, but the way mine is modified with additional supports should be actually quicker.

For my the Carport was to light as coverings were white, I first started putting the top and sides on and then tarp overthat. Over the past few years started putting black plastic over the whole thing but did not use the shelter sidewalls just the roof. The 6 leg shelter always had a lot of blow in so at first I used fence posts in the middle to help but eventually built PVC framing to go at each half point roof and sides and put in a bottom rail along with framing for a back wall. Works great but its a lot of parts and taping the ends on takes a while and a lot of work.

My thinking is the portable garage will be the same structure with a lot less parts, the cover is still to light. Not sure how this will work as not meant for it, it will probably crack and peel but thinking about painting the whole thing with probably a dark brown need it dark but that way give it more of a cave feeling. If it doesn't work I just replace the covers these ones are pretty cheap, not like the prices shelter logic wants, but they do have nicer cover and is dark inside where the Harbor freight one has a lot of light coming through.
I used my 10x10 pop-up twice. Once in 2019 and once in 2020. It seems to have worked well for me but I am leaning towards a larger carport canopy to have something a bit larger as well as hopefully a bit sturdier. I have attached a picture from 2019 when I used the canopy for a circus theme and again in 2020 where I used it to section off areas for animatronics for an outdoor haunt due to COVID at that time.

Attachments

1,568 Posts
Our set up was a walk through. The Alien Theme I shared photos had the wood and cloth "ship" as the ship's bridge. Walk through a sheet of black plastic to the front half of the carport to the alien sleeping pod room, this room was about 10x10. Walk through a second black plastic sheet to the cargo area with all it's hanging vines, pool noodles and garbage bag "human pelts" , this was the remaining 10 x 10 of our 10x20 carport. Unseen in my photos was a last "room" , a 10x10 pop up that held our black light "dot" room. Instead of plain dots we made a stencil of an typical alien face and using florescent paint made alien head "dots" on second hand black bed sheets. Hung using office clips on the supports of the pop up tent. Also not shown is in 2016 & 17 we had Carn-evil theme and a second carport set up using just the back wall to hold the "creepy" midway games we had, revamped those games in 2018 in to alien carn-evil games.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our set up was a walk through. The Alien Theme I shared photos had the wood and cloth "ship" as the ship's bridge. Walk through a sheet of black plastic to the front half of the carport to the alien sleeping pod room, this room was about 10x10. Walk through a second black plastic sheet to the cargo area with all it's hanging vines, pool noodles and garbage bag "human pelts" , this was the remaining 10 x 10 of our 10x20 carport. Unseen in my photos was a last "room" , a 10x10 pop up that held our black light "dot" room. Instead of plain dots we made a stencil of an typical alien face and using florescent paint made alien head "dots" on second hand black bed sheets. Hung using office clips on the supports of the pop up tent. Also not shown is in 2016 & 17 we had Carn-evil theme and a second carport set up using just the back wall to hold the "creepy" midway games we had, revamped those games in 2018 in to alien carn-evil games.
Thank you for sharing. I really liked the idea of using the 10x20 as a walk thru with the 2 rooms. I run a Carnival type setup and will now start to brainstorm how to setup this year's haunt similar to your setup with the 10x20 and having 2 rooms.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Howdy! We've been doing a walkthrough for our front half for about 10 years now. When we first started, we used styrofoam panels covered with scene setter backdrops. It was flimsy and looked awful. About 8 years ago, I decided we'd go with plywood panels. Painted in the Haunted Mansion wallpaper design. For the central walls (we do 2-way traffic through the main tent), the back is covered with MDF faux brick panels (also 4x8 sheets). These things are HEAVY! It takes 2 of us to move the panels out for set-up. The way I suspended these is with 2 shackles each, bolted through the top of the panels and then attached to a piece of plumbers strap (galvanized) via a turnbuckle. The weight of the panels will cause the center pole of your carport to sag, so the turnbuckles will allow you to adjust the hang. I also built a track at the bottom to keep the edges of the panels A) out of any rain runoff, and B) set in a straight line. I used a 2x2 lattice cap and baseboard trim to make this a "take down" for storage purposes. To keep the edges of the panels aligned, I used 2 sticks of chair rail trim and 3 Chicago bolts per. This also covers any gaps due to sag. You'll have about a 6-7" gap at the top of your panels this way, but it gives you tons of space to hide your electrical. I use a long piece of fabric draped over the top rail to cover this. Make sure you anchor your posts! I bolted mine to the driveway and used guy lines away from the foot traffic area.
Photograph Purple Picture frame Black Textile

Plant Building Sky Shade Road surface

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy! We've been doing a walkthrough for our front half for about 10 years now. When we first started, we used styrofoam panels covered with scene setter backdrops. It was flimsy and looked awful. About 8 years ago, I decided we'd go with plywood panels. Painted in the Haunted Mansion wallpaper design. For the central walls (we do 2-way traffic through the main tent), the back is covered with MDF faux brick panels (also 4x8 sheets). These things are HEAVY! It takes 2 of us to move the panels out for set-up. The way I suspended these is with 2 shackles each, bolted through the top of the panels and then attached to a piece of plumbers strap (galvanized) via a turnbuckle. The weight of the panels will cause the center pole of your carport to sag, so the turnbuckles will allow you to adjust the hang. I also built a track at the bottom to keep the edges of the panels A) out of any rain runoff, and B) set in a straight line. I used a 2x2 lattice cap and baseboard trim to make this a "take down" for storage purposes. To keep the edges of the panels aligned, I used 2 sticks of chair rail trim and 3 Chicago bolts per. This also covers any gaps due to sag. You'll have about a 6-7" gap at the top of your panels this way, but it gives you tons of space to hide your electrical. I use a long piece of fabric draped over the top rail to cover this. Make sure you anchor your posts! I bolted mine to the driveway and used guy lines away from the foot traffic area. View attachment 758712
View attachment 758713
That looks great. By any chance would you have any pictures of the way the walls are hanging on the tent? I am really looking at using plywood even though it is expensive right now. I think it would hold up over time better for me and storage shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any pics of the hardware. Wish I did. It's all packed away right now. They definitely hold up much better than what I had up before. Make sure you weatherproof them. I primed and painted all of the plywood prior to adding the MDF brick, then I edge painted the brick.

Edited to add; I used plywood subflooring. It's cheaper than the others and the stuff I picked up was treated against bugs/rot. The primer stuck right to it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are carports with black fabric. Though many are mesh screen rather than solid.

Here is a pop-up one, though pop-ups are not getting good comments here. https://www.sears.com/aplusbuy-07ctpset012csw2006-instahibit-10x20ft-pop-up-canopy-top/p-A098419742

Here is a link to just solid black side panels for $105. Caravan Canopy Domain 20x10 Foot Carport Tent Sidewalls, Black (Sidewalls Only) The following seems to be a link to the rest of the canopy, but in white. So, I assume the mfg offers it in black also.

-Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts