Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching through the forum for some time now, but cannot seem to find a good tutorial on how to build haunt walls. I did find the link through the monster list for the 2x4 walls with plywood, but I'm not sure that is along the lines of what I'd like. It seems like I see a lot of posts about 'how' to make the walls, but no real pictures or anything of the walls themselves. There are two methods I've been trying to find more information on. One of them was a PVC frame that you can make and hang some 6mil plastic from to make walls. The other is using a 2x2 and OSB board to make walls. I really am leaning toward the latter of these two, but my question for it is how do you brace the wall and keep it from tipping over? Obviously I don't want a wall that can be run into and knocked over. Thanks for your help!

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I would go with rigid to keep from having them damaged by accident or intent. Securing them would depend on where you want to set them up. If your wanting to cover walls you don't want scared up by fasteners, I suggest a connective flooring between the walls as in a corridor, and bracing between the tops.

If your intending to have them free standing I would suggest installing a type of hinged L brace similar to an artists easel that can be folded for storage, and weight the footing brace.

Hope I gave you some ideas. :D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
7/16 osb plywood framed by 2x2x8 furring strips along the edges & "+" in the center.
We make 4x8 & 6x6 panels. We have used 1/8 4x8 hardboard instead of osb as well, to make the same same sized panels. They are lighter & cheaper then the osb panels. But, tend to warp a bit if not properly supported. The panels are painted with a coat of Exterior latex paint, to protect them from the elements.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Im leaning toward the 2x2 route, is it possible to wallpaper the OSB and tear it up/dirty it up to make it look more like an interior wall?

·
Registered
638 Posts
possible, yes. make sure you apply the wallpaper to the "smooth" side of the osb (oriented strand board for those who arent sure what it is). if you try to adhere it to the more rough side you may have issues with it staying put. if you plan on doing both sides, a skim coat of drywall mud or 10 min with a belt sander should smooth it out enough for wall paper to take.

-dk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies! We are doing the haunt in a different location from last year so this will be the first year we will have actual walls for the haunt. Last year majority of it was outside and we just drove 2x2's into the ground and ran black plastic on them to make walls. This year we are using an old house with part of the exterior, the house itself actually has a tight enough structure to where we wont really need dividers inside, outside of the house we will be building some walls to make more of a maze for them to work their way out of.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How about some super-detailed plans on how to build not just walls but an entire dark attraction?

Download the JB Corn Books!

They are 100% free and some of the best haunt construction books ever!

JBCorn Books

:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent resource Haunter112, there is some really good info on wall building in Book1. Lots of different window framing ideas and such. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
OMG, 4X 8 foam boards is the ONLY way to go. Use spray paint to do great fade in and out on it. They are so light, easy to store...and can be reused/painted different every year.
Use scene setters at $6 for a huge roll of the nice "stone block" look works great and for the money cant be beat!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I dabble in the creative arts and can assure with wallpaper paste or Elmer's glue, you can adhere ANYTHING! Slap it on the OSB and on the backside of your paper, lay the paper on and slap on another layer of glue/paste if needed. Mine has stuck pretty darn hard to plastic, glass, counter tops, floors, furniture and clothing and shoes! When dry, it becomes very rigid. If you want to go a cheaper route, you can lay down a layer of craft paper and paint or stencil on that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know professional haunts who used 4X8 sheets of massonite (this is 3/16 particle board that is smooth and fire rated). This backed by 2X2 framing and all painted black. This would seem to be the best compromise between strength and storablility.

Massonite is used as underlayment before you put down flooring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts