Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, even after complaining that we had a whopping 27 days to prep for this year after losing power to the haunted house, we still pulled it off last night! First, here's a video tour of our haunt (Mercy Glen Hospital) - it was similar to last year except we added an actor in the body parts room, a half-body table in the operating room, and got rid of our flesh eating zombies in favor of a stack of garbage cans (which elicited screams EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!! Cheapest/best prop ever!!!!).

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/wookiemouse/Halloween 2011/?action=view&current=HauntedHouse.mp4

Next up - the VORTEX TUNNEL! I am beyond proud of this thing, we started set up at 9 AM that morning, had it up and running by 6:30 PM and ran it till 9:30 PM with absolutely no blips. My dad built this thing in his backyard, by himself, for under $500. It comes apart in sections and is easy to store. Definitely a massive hit, we had a nonstop stream of folks going through it all night, the kids especially loved it! We totally lucked out too - the cold front came through our area late Thursday, and the winds died off literally HOURS before setup.

In the daylight:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/wookiemouse/Halloween 2011/?action=view&current=Title1-Chapter3-2.mp4

At night:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/wookiemouse/Halloween 2011/?action=view&current=Title1-Chapter4-3.mp4

Well, that's it for us this year, I can't wait to see everyone's posts on Monday!

Stacy

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Loved the movies Stacy and your Dad and you did a great job with the haunted house and the vortex tunnel! I've seen someof the instructions on how to make the tunnel and your Dad made his look so simple and clean. Send congrats his way. I was amazed at how large the hospital seemed. The actors did a great job too scarying the kids. Where did you set it up? A garage doesn't seem large enough. Thanks again for the videos. I think you'll have a terrific halloween turnout.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! The haunt is actually in an old barn. We don't have the traditional TOT in our neighborhood - all the homes are on acreage, with no sidewalks or streetlights, so the HOA sets up a "Fall Festival" in the neighborhood park on the last Saturday of the month. They have a costume contest and kid events, then TOTing down the main path in the park where families set up "booths" to give out candy, and it all ends at the haunted house. They had only run the house one year when we took it over in 2008 - we rebuilt it and added on every year since then. We had done large haunts at our old house before moving here, and having the HOA approach us - and offer to let us use the barn AND reimburse us for all expenses! - totally a dream come true. :)

My dad is a bored retiree, and one of those people who you can't tell "You can't build that!" because that will set him off to accomplish it. We saw the vortex on a Halloween special on tv last year and thought it would be a great attraction to keep folks busy before the haunt opened at 8 PM. My husband and I had planned on doing it ourselves until my dad showed up in the spring with half of it built already....I wasn't about to spoil his fun. Now I just have to come up with something to top that next year!

Stacy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts