Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old camera I used for taking pictures of my haunt is about dead. I'd love to know what you use, and please show examples!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have quite a few cameras and its not the size of the camera it's how you use it ;) Some cameras obviously have better capabilities with iso but If you use a tripod drag your shutter you can get great photos. Taking your camera off auto is really the trick. :) I love the feel of a nikon because it fits in my hands better. I just like it. Having said that I have used Sony and Canon as well. Pricing and feel really is what will determine what you want. What camera did you have?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree. I have been an amateur photographer since I was 13 and got my first Minolta SRT-101 and got on the yearbook staff. I try not to use a flash, but if I do, I use slow sync to expose the scene and then fill with flash. You really have to understand exposure. Ine trick is to use the sunset. Don't shoot in the dark, shoot 30 mins after sunset to use some of the remaining skylight. You can use a phone if you know what you are doing and have manual control of the photo app.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I need to shoot in the dark to really get the lighting.
Then you are going to need a tripod and play with a longer exposure and try to not blowout the lights while using those lights to expose the scene so you get some of that too. An advanced trick is to use software, or a mode in many cameras called HDR for "high dynamic range" It takes multiple shots at different exposures and combines them. Some scenes are impossible to shoot without this if the difference between light and dark is too great and you want detail in both.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That helps. I have never really done photography seriously despite my father having been really into it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use an old Sony H1. It's not the easiest camera to use, but when I bought it, it had some of the best images in its price range. You can look at the pictures in my gallery here to see how it takes pictures.

To take good pictures with nice color saturation, you will need a tripod and a camera capable of doing a long exposure. Ideally, the camera will allow you to adjust the exposure setting for, at least, several seconds. When I take photos of low-light decorations (HW, Xmas, etc.), I will take 4 - 6 pictures of the same scene, but at different exposure times. I do this because what looks good on the viewfinder isn't always the same once you view it on the computer.

I would also suggest spending some time on a camera review site and looking at the different models in your price range. A good site will have sample pictures to look at, like https://www.dpreview.com. Things to look for are accurate color reproduction and color banding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding).

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I use a Nikon D3200 which is entry level DSLR with a couple lenses...As others mentioned, slowing down the shutter speed and using a tripod works well for no flash photos....I didn't get the remote option so I just set the timer function so my finger pushing the button doesn't jiggle the camera causing blurry pictures....Also anything moving in the picture frame will blur using this technique....Here's a few of my examples:

This is my favorite pic I've taken so far with that technique (and a 300mm lense)....The harvest moon...Only had about 5 minutes to get it before it completely rose over the ridge.....

I wouldn't say you need a DSLR for great pictures but I never took a camera off auto mode until I got one.....Even now I just keep my phone in auto mode....That being said, I've seen some pretty incredible pictures taken with an iphone....I never would have guessed that's how they were taken.....ZR

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just upgraded to my first DSLR. I got the Canon Rebel T7i. So far I really like it. I went with a rebel because my photography professor said they were a good beginners camera.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts