Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and new to being a home haunter as well. So I apologize if there is a thread about this already.

I created a cemetery yard display with some nice lighting. I want to take some awesome photos of my display, but I'm struggling with the camera settings. (I'm no pro photographer!)

Can anyone help me out with what settings to use as far as the shutter speed and aperture go? I am using a Nikon Coolpix P900 with a tripod and a timer... I know you're supposed to use a low shutter speed and a larger aperture, but I was messing around with that and it wasn't really working well. The color in my photos wasn't what I was hoping for.
Any help would be appreciated so I can get some nice shots before Halloween is over and I take down all my work!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am adding a link to another thread that I hope will help. My personal experience with this is very limited so wont be much help there. Others will eventually chime in but it being this close to the big day for them I'm sure most of them are out doing last min tweaks to their haunts.
Here is the link to the other thread hope it is useful to you. :)
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/145395-nighttime-dark-camera-setting-help.html

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am not familiar with the Coolpix line ( have a D300s) but if your color isnt right..can you adjust the white balance on that camera? The type of lighting shows up different on the camera sensor than it does to our eyes.
If using the tripod you do not have to use a large aperture..a smaller one ( f/8 ,f/7.1) will give you more depth of field.
Remember that if you let the camera make the decisions, it will always try to expose an image to a mid tone because that is 'correct exposure' to it. ( snow looks grey, dark things to light) You have to override it to get the effect you want ( snow needs to be white, add a stop or two exposure..black cat needs to be black , dial in some negative exposure

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm no pro either and have a lowly Canon SD960 point and shoot. If it helps, I've played around with Night Mode, ISO 3200 and the Manual/P settings and the settings I found most true to life were using the long exposure setting at 1 second @ ISO 200. This seemed to be best compromise between capturing enough light and having a noise-free image. A tripod is a must. I'd even recommend using the timer function so the camera is even less disturbed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts