Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all love Halloween but I'm sure there are parts of set up that drive us all crazy.

This is my pet peeve: Every year, I painstakingly check every set of lights before putting them up. After spending a couple of hours yesterday high on a ladder, neck and back stiff, I plug them in to see the effect. And there is one section, in the middle of a string, that's out! Happens every year with one or more set of those mini-lights. They only give you a couple of replacement bulbs but if you don't change all the burnt out ones right away, it stresses the whole string and the strings linked to them. Then you risk ALL of them burning out. :mad:

I'm sick and tired of replacing them every year. Never mind having to replace them after I've put them up.

That's my Haunt pet peeve. What's yours?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pet peeve: neighbors who don't join in. Sure, it's a free country, no one says that you have to give out candy. Certainly, you don't have to create a blow-out haunt. But I'm lonely out here.

Not really a pet peeve -- more like a big grizzly bear upset: my skull broke. A fox skull that I found in the back yard, carefully boiled for 1 1/2 hours to get the dried bits off, soaked in bleach water to kill any remaining germs and make it pretty and white. Fimo clay patches for some missing cranium bits. My first attempt at making LED eyes from scratch. Months of thinking about the body, then building it out of PVC pipe. Sewing burlap tubes so that they would fit the long legs and snakey neck. This weekend, the burlap was soaked in monster mud and applied. And it looked good. I left it to dry. Sometime during the night, Foxy fell off the table and the skull shattered. :(

The skull was wrapped in plastic to protect it from the monster mud, keeping all of the pieces together and more-or-less in the correct place. I'm hoping I can glue enough together to make a base for a paper mache skull.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That would be very annoying with the light strings. Since switching to LED I don't have that problem as much.

My peeve---You find Halloween items on Craigslist that are a decent price & the seller never responds even though you contacted them within a few hours of the post.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,579 Posts
Hrm..probably the rain, combined with heat and humidity, the fact it never is cold on the big day and is hot/muggy and or raining.

If weather wasnt the issue, then not ever having enough plugs or extension cords on hand and batteries.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My peeve(s) - cellphone screens being used as flashlights! Constant off-topic talking (the first two are also implied at the movie theatre)! Being Rushed through a haunt. Disrespectful spectator commentary. Vandalism!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I second the outlet thing. Every year I cringe as I try to arrange and figure out what to plug in where. No outlets in front either. So it becomes a game of trying to divvy up the things that I need to plug in evenly amongst extension cords. Anyone know how many motor driven props you can safely run into an average circuit? I actually look for battery operated items as opposed to rewiring them to plug in. Sure I spend a small fortune in batteries but at least I feel safer. I've added even more this year so I'm thinking of unplugging everything inside. My water heater is electric so we'll all have to shower in the am and I'm sure my fridge will be fine for a few hours LOL.

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
The kid who viciously bangs on my prized Alder door instead of pushing the lit doorbell button.

The kid who receives his full to king sized candy bar then looks at me and whines "is that all?"

Usually the same kid.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hmmmm, besides trying to figure out how I hooked up all the electricity in the past, it has to be the parents who let their kids manhandle the props. Can't tell you how many things have been broken or scratched up. The first year I had the cocoon guy hanging from the basketball goal some kid was using him as a boxing bag, and there's his mom just watching. The following year, hung him from a tree in the graveyard. See, old dogs can learn new tricks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pet peeve, Watching groups of people go through my haunt and only the first person in the group looking up and around,the rest of the kids are interlocked and looking down like a conga line. Other pet peeve, when visiting other haunts,I just love being yelled at to "get out!".... I paid good money to come through your haunt and that's the best you can do? "Get out!" No thanks, Dan

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pet peeve, Watching groups of people go through my haunt and only the first person in the group looking up and around,the rest of the kids are interlocked and looking down like a conga line. Other pet peeve, when visiting other haunts,I just love being yelled at to "get out!".... I paid good money to come through your haunt and that's the best you can do? "Get out!" No thanks, Dan
They told you to "Get out?" Are you serious? That's terrible.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Hypercritical neighbours. The Witch looks too fat. The Vampire is too pale. The Werewolfs eyes are out of alignment. Seriously. That stuff wears thin.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Kids who go through a second or third time and tell everyone what is going to happen.

Kids breaking my props.

The parents who stand out front and make comments about how it is too scary to take the little ones through. HELLLOOO.......Haunted House, NOT Chucky Cheese. There are plenty of other houses to take the little ones.

ds6191...why were they telling you to get out? Was it just you or everyone? How rude.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the actors in the rooms, after the scare or the scare, they scream at you to get out! That is the scare, the actors screaming at you very loudly to get out. Pretty
lame right.One of the first things I tell my actors is to not scream at the people going through. Dan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
25 Participants
SaraB!
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing