Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put in at work for October weekends off this year. There's a decent chance I'll get it. Originally, I was thinking it'd allow more chances to visit some local professional haunts/events this year (if there are any - thanks, covid). Then it occurred to me: Why not lend my time as an actor in a pro-haunt? I dunno. I'd still want October 31st off to tend the door here at the house. I don't know how any of it works.

So, just wondering if anybody has any advice on the subject. I'd be fine just as a bit zombie or whatever. Do they typically let just any schmo walk-on and frighten people? I'd sign a waver. I'm getting too old to do any serious sprints or acrobatics, though.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I'd hope there is no such thing as 'too old' when it comes to haunt actors. One of my biggest complaints about pro haunts is the large number of teenage and very young adult actors. Sorry Skippy, but a ghoul who looks like his mommy drove him to the haunt that day doesn't exactly inspire terror... but full points for trying.

1,288 Posts
I've known a few pro haunters... Age typically means nothing there are always parts for everyone. If not the actual scaring, there is tickets, costuming, make-up, security. Yes there are too many young actors but it's usually cause they have more free time and are willing to work for free or school credit or pizza and soda. Then there are haunt "owners" who have no where to leave their kids on haunting nights so they round up their kids and all their friends and put them to "work" in the haunt cause the only job underage persons can do is "act" Can't have them running the ticket booth, concessions or security. And really you want a 13 year old applying your make-up no matter how talented they are?

One of the biggest pro haunts owners we knew ended up having to start doing background checks, after he learned from a newspaper reporter that one of his actors lied on his forms about having a sexual predator record. All haunts have some type of required pre-season training, some hold auditions. Your best bet is you find out who's running your local haunts and find out what they require to work for them cause each is a little different.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Stinkerbell n Frog Prince. Excellent points as to why there are typically so many youth often doing the $-haunts. What you brought up about all the other mundane haunt stuff is a concern. It must be a nightmare in and of itself putting something like that together. I just want to show up and growl "Brains!" while shambling toward people.
Makes sense that they'd want to vet the volunteers at least some.
I'll look around the few places I frequent locally that might post something looking for haunt actors when we get another few months toward October.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts