Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for Halloween Haunt ideas/illusions to create for next to nothing?

Have a look at my POV video (all miniature sets, working FX) and if you like any of the illusions/sequences, drop me a line...you can create any of the scenes in this video for almost nothing...easy as heck to put together...all I would ask is that you film the final results, so I can see them (we do not have access to a place to create this attraction full scale, and I would LOVE to see some of the scenes/illusions created in full scale!...:)

Actual 'on ride' video portion starts after the documentary/queue section, around the 3:13 mark)

Many Thanks, and Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, annamarykahn...;)

Yes, every sequence seen in the video is a miniature set, with fully functioning FX (all of which could be created MUCH easier in full scale), made from stuff around my apartment, for next to nothing...you can see some 'Behind the Scenes' photos via the Imgur Gallery link below, and here's a short vid showing the Living Hallway of the Dead set, in normal lighting...

Do you plan on making an actual Haunt this year?
Any chance you like any of the scenes enough to want to create them for your Haunt?...;)

Imgur Gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/yrYXm

Living Hallway of the Dead (Miniature set)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Wow! That is very impressive!

I have a couple of questions:
At 4:23 on the video you get on the doom buggy and it looks to be moving. How was that accomplished and how far does it move? Do you go down a long hallway with projection on either side, or do it just stop at one room and projections are scrolled sideways to give the illusion of movement (think the boat ride on Willy Wonka)?

The elevator ceiling projection is very cool btw.Add some shakes to the elevator floor and you'll really nail down the look of moving.

Victor

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks, victor-eyd....

The 4:23 mark in the vid is one of two points where I was forced to use actual, existing footage of another dark ride (I attempted to make a miniature 'cart entry/exit' sequence, but it was just too obviously a miniature, so I resorted to swiping some footage from a German themepark, Europa Park, as I figured it would be less conspicuous than one from the USA most folks would know...I them created the scene where the elevator doors open to 'match' the Europa Park look of the 'doombuggies'...the ride in question is called 'Geisterschloss', a somewhat cheesy rip off of the Haunted Mansion...;)

The elevator ceiling projection is simply my PC monitor, playing footage I found (stock/royalty free) of an elevator ride, color tinted blue/green to match the look of my 'ride', with lightning/hands footage I created superimposed on top of it...I just 'swung the camera up' as if it was on a ceiling...the PC monitor was framed with an empty cardboard box. This effect would be very easy to do in real life, just a rotating room (which is turned from one side to another, where visitors exit) which has a large monitor for a 'ceiling'...as the room is rotated, it is 'shaken' to give the feeling of movement as the 'shocks' occur...the illusion of upwards motion would be created by the visitors imaginations...;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
WOW. Sitting here watching it with my 7-year-old daughter, and we were wondering where that ride is. Something was... different, but we didn't know it wasn't real until we watched your follow up video! I guess I should have read your first post instead of just jumping to the 3:13 part of the video, but I'm a red meat kind of guy. That is amazing! Great job!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think by using a lot of your props, but projecting them onto a rear projection screen, with an additional effect of a sideways panning movement to the whole video, it could be possible to recreate the illusion of traveling down a corridor with room being displayed to you on either side. If you think about it, HM is just that, but your doombuggy moves from vignette to vignette, and the props are static. There's always a blackout break between settings, which can also be accomplished by a simple black image recording of a few seconds or so.

An ideal setup would be using a two car garage and creating an enclosed cube you enter from one side. Three, even four (from the ceiling) projections, would show these settings as you "move" down the ride. You would need short throw projectors to achieve this look, but I believe with some work it can be done.

Looks great either way

Victor

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW. Sitting here watching it with my 7-year-old daughter, and we were wondering where that ride is. Something was... different, but we didn't know it wasn't real until we watched your follow up video! I guess I should have read your first post instead of just jumping to the 3:13 part of the video, but I'm a red meat kind of guy. That is amazing! Great job!
Very cool that you momentarily thought it was 'full scale' (that's my ultimate wish w/ the whole project, actually...well, THAT...and that someone will want to create the thing in full scale, of course...;)

Many thanks, and thank you and your daughter for watching!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think by using a lot of your props, but projecting them onto a rear projection screen, with an additional effect of a sideways panning movement to the whole video, it could be possible to recreate the illusion of traveling down a corridor with room being displayed to you on either side. If you think about it, HM is just that, but your doombuggy moves from vignette to vignette, and the props are static. There's always a blackout break between settings, which can also be accomplished by a simple black image recording of a few seconds or so.

An ideal setup would be using a two car garage and creating an enclosed cube you enter from one side. Three, even four (from the ceiling) projections, would show these settings as you "move" down the ride. You would need short throw projectors to achieve this look, but I believe with some work it can be done.

Looks great either way

Victor
You guys are all too kind, and I really appreciate your watching and commenting here...thank you.

RE the projections...yeah, that would likely work, but to be honest, the idea of each scene/vignette actually existing, IE as a real animated scene, is what appeals most to me...I can see it all so clearly in my head, it's a shame I don't have access to the funds and space to make the danged thing, as I could do it all myself, NP, given the fact that I know EXACTLY how to create each bit, with little to no $ spent (the majority of cost would be applied to the building/structure, and a track system, in my opinion)...

·
Registered
244 Posts
My daughter also wanted me to point out that you spelled 'Dark' wrong. She has yet to learn about artistic license in school. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
This is what I'm talking about. Three projectors is probably overkill- Projector 2 could easily do the job. But you get the gist of this immersive ride using the miniatures created and filmed

The occupants would go through curtains mounted in the rear. Once inside the "room" the music and dialogue would play out and the video would begin.

I think it would be entirely possible to create all of the sections of HM in miniature and project it in a side scrolling effect, giving the occupants the illusion of being inside a ride. For a better example of this, the Willy Wonka boat ride

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi, I saw this on Reddit a few weeks ago and began madly pinning to Pinterest. It took a while before I realised it was all in miniature!

I love the ghost children jumping on the bed - the method to create the scene using a see-saw/teeter-totter was so elegant and simple.

Obviously a labour of love, congratulations!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, I saw this on Reddit a few weeks ago and began madly pinning to Pinterest. It took a while before I realised it was all in miniature!

I love the ghost children jumping on the bed - the method to create the scene using a see-saw/teeter-totter was so elegant and simple.

Obviously a labour of love, congratulations!
Hey...;)

Not sure if I responded to this (if I did not, my apologies, the email alerting me to your nice note here was in a spam folder) but I just wanted to make sure you knew how much I appreciated your comments....thank you so much...

Glad you also appreciated the simplicity of the FX, I love making stuff and creating an effect that looks great but is easy to duplicate, in case someone someday actually enjoys my ideas enough to create some full scale...(fingers crossed...;)

Thanks Again...

-K

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My daughter also wanted me to point out that you spelled 'Dark' wrong. She has yet to learn about artistic license in school. :)
LOL....please tell her that the spelling was 'on purpose', (as you surmised) to indicate that the name 'Daark' is meant to be Germanic and mysterious...;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts