Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbourhood is not high traffic Halloween (although since I moved here the numbers have increased dramatically ;) A friend who helps at the haunt every year suggested using someone else's home as the haunt where there are more TOTs. Yeah, right. Not only would I have to haul everything back and forth but what about those late night decorating sessions or those ten hour prop building/set up days leading up to Halloween? I don't think anyone would want me slipping onto their property in the middle of the night to fix a prop or test lighting effects. Nor would I want to travel back and forth as the haunt evolves.

My friends help with the actual haunt but I do all the design, shopping, decorating, set up and tear down myself. That's the way I work. My ideas evolve as I go along and to articulate to someone else would not only be difficult but more time consuming than if I just did it myself. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm creating until it's finished. How do you explain that to someone else? Sometimes I let my fellow haunters do menial tasks like buying extra $1 Store items on their way over Halloween night, helping with cobwebbing or setting up the fog machine. And I always rely on them to bring extra candy because I typically forget about the 'treating' part of Halloween. But essentially it's all me. I even prefer doing the tear down by myself so I can store things away the way I want.

How about you? What is your working style when it comes to designing and setting up your haunt?

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
We put up a several-thousand-square-foot haunted maze made up of more than a hundred 4'x8' wooden panels.

It takes almost an entire month to set up and decorate.

We usually have a BBQ on the first two days and enlist volunteers to help us out with setting up as many wall panels as we can get done.

The rest of the month, the four of us (me, my wife, and my two teenage/adult sons) finish the wall panels, lighting, power, pneumatic hoses, decorating, painting, prop setup and testing, etc.

Throughout the year, I'm the primary designer and builder of new props, but my family members do pitch in (welding, painting, etc.).

There's absolutely no way I could do it alone. I'm glad that their all as insane as I am.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lone wolf !!! Even being the VP of an MC when it comes to my scares it's all me but pack scares can be devastating !

image.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts