Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my first scratch build prop, a crypt entrance to hide a projector. I have a very small haunt space so had to be dual functioning.

I have flickering candle lights that i shall be adding later today, but wondering if anyone has used fibre optics pushed through foam to added a mystical look?

if so is it easy to do it?

thanks

c9761ec4-ee73-4c3b-9938-160ba2044689.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
It can be fairly simple, but can be very time consuming depending on your design. Basically you're running the fiber from the foam to a light source. Bundle the fibers with zip-ties and put them very close to your light. You can add a turning color wheel between the fibers and the lamp to cause them to change color or bundle cables to a dedicated colored light. For the best effect, you're going to want a super bright light source like super bright LEDS. If you use a small intense bright halogen, you'll need a fan to keep the lamp cool. The ends of the fibers need to be cut clean and even or you'll loose a lot of the light. This pic is of the sign light source on my circus wagon. This is about as complicated as it gets. I'm including it just for reference in how the system is set up. IMG_20150917_164734.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fantastic, just the sort of image i was looking for, i was hoping to do it with a wheel that had some black patches so it almost twinkled, over here in the UK getting decent Halloween stuff is near impossible unless willing to spend a lot, so hoping this will add to my effect :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts