Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to carve a Frankenstein Pumpkin for Lil Ghouliette and was wondering if any one had carved the funkin pumpkins with a dremmel tool and what tip would be best ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was at Home Depot the other day, looking in the Halloween section. They actually have a Halloween-specific Dremmel now. Not sure if it's any different. I didn't look at it closely.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have used a dremel 4000 one year. you can use any of them just perfer a slower speed. The one Mr_Synical was referring to, is a low speed battery powered one. As a haunter I personally wouldnt waste my money on it but not everyone is a DIY.

Since Funkins are soft you can use almost anything.

If you're just cutting then use cutters like:
The Pumpkin dremel uses a High speed cutting bit "100 High Speed Cutter "

I found the "561 MultiPurpose Cutting Bit" to be pretty good at cutting foan holes.

if you are adding some thin lines use an engraver bit.

I do recommend getting a spare one to practice and test bits to get the desired speed and control.
But

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,218 Posts
Yes, I have. You need this : dremel flex shaft- much easier to control the small intricate carvings. Battery operated? not as powerful as plug in. Don't waste your money. You need the bit that looks closest to a small drill bit. you can look on my pinterest board link below under the dremel made me do it board.

shopping.jpeg

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
We use one all the time. We use Rotozip-type bits. They look like this:

You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot. They go in like a drill bit, but they also work like a saw blade when you move to the sides. Best cutting tool there is.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As noted the flex shaft works great as holding the main tool with slippery pumpkin hands is tricky.

My preferred tool last couple of years however is a jig saw. This is the cat's you know what for cutting off the top and any bigger/course work. For fine detail I made a tool out of fatter grip xacto style handle and a 6" piece of old scroll saw blade. Cuts very fast/easy with absolute precision.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Never use a Dremel to try to clean your kid's teeth,they won't like it! Yes,i was desperate to see his teeth look un-scummy. (He would not brush! )
He said it got "Hot".. probably did.

Reactions: Abunai

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dremel is great for detail work or if you're doing one of those 'shading' pumpkins. For bigger or straight cuts I go to my jigsaw. I'm an all power tool pumpkin carver. :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use my dremel for the funkins and the foamies from Michaels. I was using the bit that stonykins suggested (1/32") and I broke two of them (one is less than 5 minutes). I will be looking for a better bit, perhaps the Rotozip-type bits. I grabbed 4 funkins from Joanns, including the giant ones :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts