Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a side job making Hallowen props for a customer and they would like a bleeding tombstone. I checked out mourning cemetery's how to and it looks relatively easy but i only worry about constructing the plexiglass boxes to store the liquid. Has anyone made one of these? Do you have any tips that may make this a little easier for me?

Thanks in Advance!

Nick

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Hey ig Nick,
I would think any type of enclosed base or maybe cut a plastic storage tub down to size/height. Just something to contain the liquid. As for cheap pumps, check out HarborFreight over in Arlington Hts.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was either going to check there or a fish store for used aquarium pumps. I could probably pick one up for next to nothing if i'm lucky.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Hi Nick.
what are the approx dimensions or required volume of your reservoir?

A plexiglass tank wouldn't be difficult to make using aquarium sealant if your measurements are crucial.
There are commercially available plastic tanks if your requirements are not exact.

Savic fauna boxes come in a variety of capacities and are readily available from your local pet store...
This link may give you a little more info. (I'm sure they would be available in the USA too).

Aquatics Online Catalogue : Plastic Aquariums, Tanks & Bowls

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked with a local hardware store last night and a 24"x24" piece of plexiglass is about $10. I need the box to be able to hold about a gallon of liquid. The aqurium silicone is for sure the way to go. Does anyone know if you have to score the plexiglass when you glue it together? Never built a box to hold water before so i want to make sure i do this correctly.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
you shouldn't have to score the plexiglass. The aquarium sealant is pretty strong stuff and should hold ok when it's cured, although it might be a good idea to degrease the edges of the plexiglass to ensure good adhesion. work in a well ventilated area, as the fumes from aquarium sealant can be quite acrid.
As a rough guide, (and if I've done the maths correctly) a tank approx 10" x 5" x 5" should give a capacity of nearly 2 US gallons. of course, you can alter or interchange these dimensions to fit your prop

Assemble the sides and base of the tank using sealant and tape to hold the pieces in position, and then, when that's dry, run a bead of sealant along all the inside edges, smoothing it along with your finger.
Ensure that the sealant is fully cured before filling to test. (you might want to test it outdoors..
just in case).
If any slight leakage is evident, mark with a marker pen on the exterior surface, and apply more sealant as necessary. (the tank must be thoroughly dry before applying sealant).

Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts