Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to know if anyone else has seen a decline in people decorating for halloween and giving out candy in my neighborhood it used to be filled with almost every house doing something now tonight me and my wife took a stroll and there were only 3 house on an entire block

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
My neighborhood has definitely declined in decorations. It used to be about a third of the houses decorated, this year there are a total of ten. I think everyone still gives out candy.

F

·
0 Posts
Yes, definitely. I don't even think people trick or treat in any but a few neighborhoods here in DFW.
I remember walking several streets around my aunt's neighborhood and seeing all kind of cool decorations and getting all kinds of candies. I also remember even going to the local mall on Halloween and it was packed with costumers and trick or treaters young and old. They even had pumpkin carving contests. Now there's hardly anything but club parties and hardcore haunted houses which are mostly just gore scenes.
My boss said there's a neighborhood in Arlington that has a block party but that's about all I know of. But It's just not the same as going to your neighbors' houses and doing it.
Bummer it is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it stinks just dont get it i know times are different then when i was a kid you would still think people would do it for the children .... that was the fun was going house to house oh the times they do change

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
Happily we've always had good participation in the neighborhood, & in fact, we've got new neighbors that have actually put out more decor than just a pumpkin (which is the norm).

Hopefully tomorrow night you'll be pleasantly surprised to find a few more handing out than you thought would :)

·
The Haunting Girl
940 Posts
Yea, my street is still really quiet. In the past I had neighbors who got on board and started decorating when I started. In this neighborhood it's gone from a few houses at least doing something to almost nothing this year. I had one neighbor who wanted me to decorate her yard when I talked to her last spring, but then I noticed her house went up for sale this month. So I couldn't decorate her yard, but a few people from the neighborhood have stopped by telling me how much they are looking forward to seeing my house on the big night.
I really wanted to get a "Haunt Tour" going in my neighborhood, because the area is so small and there are a few really good houses here. However, I noticed two of the houses didn't get decorated this year. I'm not sure what is going to happen, but I am trying to come up with a plan to get my neighbors involved next year and maybe do the "tour" thing. My husband is home this year, so I'll be able to walk the neighborhood and see what people are doing and make a list.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,326 Posts
It seems to come in cycles as the neighborhood kids get "too old" to care about Halloween, and then some move away and new families with younger kids move in. Right now, my neighborhood is in the lots of older kids stage, so not nearly as much decorating as a few years ago. :(

·
Evil Wizard
2,168 Posts
It seems to come in cycles as the neighborhood kids get "too old" to care about Halloween, and then some move away and new families with younger kids move in. Right now, my neighborhood is in the lots of older kids stage, so not nearly as much decorating as a few years ago. :(
Yes, exactly right.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've noticed a Halloween contradiction.

It seems like this year - Halloween was really big this year - like people were really excited for it in general.

But less people decorated in my town.

What's up with that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes, I've noticed the decline in my town. Not many people decorate here anymore and I really only see trick or treaters in town. It doesn't seem as many houses give out candy now.

And usually trick or treating doesn't happen on Halloween in my town anyway, and nowadays it only lasts for 2 hours. I'm sad that kids around here don't get to experience the Halloween I experienced as a kid.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Not in mine! In fact, the city code enforcement guy stopped by yesterday to tell me that he thinks that the "Halloween house" (Yes, that would be ME!!) has inspired some of the neighbors as he's seen a lot more decorations this year... How cool is that!?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey there fellow trick or treaters. I line in Adelaide Australia. Halloween isn't very big down here. It doesn't get dark until just after 8.
But I have a great time. We have just had the tot'ers come through, it is 9::22 here.
I do more than just about anyone here, It gives me a chance tho play with electronics and stuff.

I have just held my first walkthrough. I decked out the inside of my shed (shop to you guys) in black plastic. I had a crank ghost and a monster box in there with a few other decorations.
I will put up a vid on youtube after Sat as I'm having a party tomorrow night.
I was really happy with my monster box. It has 4 pneumatic cylinders, led lights and a MP3 player all controlled by an Arduino.

And wow did I find out a great tip last night. Hot melt glue glows under a black light, that's cool.

Have fun tonight all

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,674 Posts
My neighborhood actually has more people decorating. Maybe my home haunt is influencing them:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts