Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I consider the smashing of an actual pumpkin an honorable death for a valiant guardian.

As for other destroyed or stolen props, yeah. Oddly enough, a green 60w light bulb stolen from our porch. I guess some kid just couldn't sleep that night knowing someone had a green lightbulb and he didn't.

·
Registered
668 Posts
yes, my blucky got destroyed one year, it made me rethink putting things out early.

·
Banned
535 Posts
When im worried about things getting stolen i get these lil booby trap things from the firework store they have strings on each end and you tie one end to what ever and the other end to what you dont want taken and when it gets pulled it lets off a loud bang. Its very loud considering what it is and can you imagine hearing a loud bang while your trying to be stealthy and swipe something. HEHEHEH :D

Edit: Really works when you use like 10 of them at a time lots of noise! :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,298 Posts
I've been really, really lucky. Not a thing stolen, no pumpkins smashed, no vandalism.

I've had three of my graveyard columns "tested" by kids, I assume. They are cardboard with the shiny white styro and then painted, and they don't quite look like styro, so the kids on their way to school pinched at it and then discovered that it was foam and a tiny corner was broken off of one of them. Oddly enough, the corner was tucked right next to the column, so I found it easily and glued that right back on.

I was a bit upset to have to squish marks in the tops of the columns, but then again, I remember what it's like to be a kid and not able to resist touching/poking things without really thinking about damage. :rolleyes: And you can't even see the marks in the dark anyway. :)

I don't tempt fate, tho. The only things that are out early are the fencing, some cheapy tombstones the high-up/hanging stuff and the floodlights on the garage roofline are changed out. I wouldn't be able to leave the good stuff out when I wasn't right there - I'm too paranoid. ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't take any chances! I set everything up, and tear it down the same day. I've got way too much time, and money wrapped up in my props to have some little punk steal, or destroy them!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
So far I haven't had anything stolen, abused, or vandalized. My graveyard is out a few weeks in advance but the big stuff goes out for our Halloween open house the saturday before then pulled in until Halloween morning when I put it back out. I'm sure as time goes on someone is sure to want to mess with something but besides scaring some ToT's that is also one of the reason I am always out dressed as one of the "props". hehe

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
When im worried about things getting stolen i get these lil booby trap things from the firework store they have strings on each end and you tie one end to what ever and the other end to what you dont want taken and when it gets pulled it lets off a loud bang. Its very loud considering what it is and can you imagine hearing a loud bang while your trying to be stealthy and swipe something. HEHEHEH :D

I'm laughing just picturing the poor sap that got "Popped"!
I have some of those things and thought of doing that, but never have. I've been lucky and nothing was ever taken.
Two years ago someone tried to topple one of my wooden cemetery columns. They didn't know it was held upright by a 2 X 4 buried about 3 feet in the ground (hidden inside). All they could do was make it lean a little. I now use 4 X 4's inside to shore them up. Nobody moved 'em last year!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Smashing pumpkins is all part of the spirit!

I had a girl try to steal a strobe light last year. But she caught my eye as she was going in.

This year will be an interesting one being that it is on a saturday. I think I might just go sit out on the lawn until midnight with a beer in one hand and the paintball gun in the other.

·
The Great Crazy
42,937 Posts

I like that idea!!!!:D

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,113 Posts
Last year was just a static display of some of our items as well had just bought a house moved into town from out in the county where we had lived in a small, everyone watches out for each other community. So last year was sort of a test, nothing was touched and the large pnuematic items and electrical stuff was placed on the night before Halloween, however, about midnight on Halloween, everything came in. This year is our full blown display with new columns, corpsed skellies, tombstones, etc. Everthing will go up about two weeks ahead and the larger pnuematics and props will go out on Friday night/Saturday morn.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've had actual props destroyed and a couple of years ago a major prop was stolen, how do you explain the 150 lb demon to your parents? Oh well, just build a new one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A couple of years ago I had a couple tombstones stolen...I made new ones to replace them. I was concerned last year and was pleased to see that all was well the entire month. Of course the extra fencing I put around may have helped LOL.

·
Registered
630 Posts
150 lb demon?

gosh..
Yeah I add a stack of cinder bocks on the base before putting it out they took everything demons blocks everything LOL

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have had a serious problem with the damage and theft. 5 static dummies were stolen early the morning before the big day and after the Trick or Treat and the party someone shot the rear window out of a car I had decorated. I haven't decorated for 2 years and have either given away or sold everything but a wreath I made for my door this year. So sad, the little ones loved it, and so did I. But I can't afford to replace everything. Plus for me it wasn't the same after that, the joy was gone, I did one more display (much smaller) but it just wasn't there for me.

This year it will just be some "Martha Stewart" type decorations

Just a little advice I got from my neighbor who is a Harris County Sherrif's Deputy. Make a report no matter how small the theft or damage. If you do eventually your neighborhood will get a better police presence. If you don't then they (the cops) think everything is cool.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts