Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you may already know tonight we are still under a Harvest Moon. What does that mean exactly?

Wednesday/Thursday night's full moon is known as the harvest moon because it is the closest full moon to the fall equinox, which occurs Sunday and will mark the official start of autumn.

The equinox happens twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall, when the Earth isn't tilted toward the sun or away from it. On those days, the length of day and the length of night are almost exactly the same across the planet.

In celebration I put my Harvest scene on my porch today. When night fell I poured a hot cup of dark roast coffee and a small bowl of Raspberries. I slipped quietly alone into my remote hot tub on the hill above the city in the new country setting. The moon light beamed down on me and was surrounded by the sound of frogs, crickets and the occasion coyote. Bats could be seen snatching up a mid air snack. An owl let out a Hoot in the distant pines. I felt reborn and rejuvenated surrounded by the classic sounds of Halloween all being provided by Mother Nature. I came out so full of Halloween spirit and life not to mention raspberries and caffeine!

Did anyone else take time to soak up this symbol of Fall? If so what did you do?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Actually, it is known as the harvest moon because farmers relied on it to provide extra light needed to let them work into the night to guarantee they could finish the harvest on time.

However, I put a walipini in my garden space this spring, so I don't really expect to have issues of an end-of-season harvest.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
We put out all our decorations yesterday. Finished up just in time to turn everything on, sit on the patio, drink some hot cider, and watched the moon. It was beautiful last night.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
As most of you may already know tonight we are still under a Harvest Moon. What does that mean exactly?

Wednesday/Thursday night's full moon is known as the harvest moon because it is the closest full moon to the fall equinox, which occurs Sunday and will mark the official start of autumn.

The equinox happens twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall, when the Earth isn't tilted toward the sun or away from it. On those days, the length of day and the length of night are almost exactly the same across the planet.

In celebration I put my Harvest scene on my porch today. When night fell I poured a hot cup of dark roast coffee and a small bowl of Raspberries. I slipped quietly alone into my remote hot tub on the hill above the city in the new country setting. The moon light beamed down on me and was surrounded by the sound of frogs, crickets and the occasion coyote. Bats could be seen snatching up a mid air snack. An owl let out a Hoot in the distant pines. I felt reborn and rejuvenated surrounded by the classic sounds of Halloween all being provided by Mother Nature. I came out so full of Halloween spirit and life not to mention raspberries and caffeine!

Did anyone else take time to soak up this symbol of Fall? If so what did you do?
Good Lord, if I could have had that experience I wouldn't hesitate to bask in the pale moon light but and its a big but , I don't have a hot tub or nice private yard or anything else that would make the experience half as lovely....the caffeine, I have the caffeine. Sounds great though. I love the moon, it speaks to me.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I was out on the back decks and took a quick dip in the pool. The water is getting brisk, but I swim until October 1st typically. We also have a lot of natural surroundings at our house, and a great view of the sky. A farm and cornfields sit in back of our home, and you can hear the cacophony of fall insects: the katydids, crickets, grasshoppers, and leafhoppers. It's a private setting as well, although our last home sat on 3 acres of woodland on a mountain. I always enjoy the outdoors, and roam around at night many times. The moon looked great as always. ;)

·
Harbinger of Autumn
1,820 Posts
Thanks for that info and this thread. I did not do anything in particular as I was not aware. I did enjoy the moon, just not ceremoniously. Does it still count if I celebrate a waning gibbous harvest moon tonight? ( I do need another bottle of Jim Beam Cider ((which by the way goes incredibly with fresh apple cider)) :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
I drank a bourbon and coke and took a few puffs of some good stuff, then leaned back in my glider staring at the view of the moon above the city skyline. Pittsburgh truly is a beautiful city at night.
Agreed! I am in New Castle, so i am not far. I love coming to Pittsburgh at night.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
The moon was absolutely stunning the past two nights!!! Our whole neighborhood was lit up so bright. I love soaking in moons like these. You just look up at it, take a deep breath, release and everything just melts away for that quick moment. I have always felt the moon is powerful. This time of year, even more so. The whole Autumn season is powerful and refreshing to me, which is why I love it so!

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
I was a little busy last night and had no time to enjoy the Harvest Moon. I did however get a glance at a different moon as my 6 year old sons towel fell off as he headed to his bedroom after a shower.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love hearing all the things people did! Halloween is truelly in the air now its crisp air, cold mornings and the dew has returned.

·
Registered
546 Posts
what did I do in celebration for the harvest moon?, I got some nice chilled iced tea, pumpkin pie, and sat on my back porch surrounded by my blowmolds and watched the beautiful moon.Gris your celebration must have been really been an experience!!! sounds wonderful.:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts