Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my daughter told me she wanted a Harry Potter Party for her 9th birthday I was pretty excited. Been working on theme ideas for a couple months. Here are some pre-party pictures:

harry potter party 2014 INVITES.jpg
The invites- Pre printed off the internet and we added glitter

harry potter party 2014 001 hedwig in cage.jpg
Hedwig in his cage

harry potter party 2014 002 HW sign.jpg
Platform 9 3/4 sign- will hang above the brick wall entry way I made

harry potter party 2014 003 food signs.jpg
Food signs- Will actually be all Italian food, but we are improvising with signs

harry potter party 2014 004 snitch truffles.jpg
Golden Snitch tray made from Ferrora Rocher Candy and wings

harry potter party 2014 005 memory tray game.jpg
Memory Tray Game with all things related to the Harry Potter Books (eyeball, Patronus Deer, camera, key, cauldron, owl, withc hat, train, dragon in an egg, goblet of fire, castle, trophy, etc)

harry potter party 2014 007 potion bottles 2.jpg
Had loads of fun making the potion bottles with my daughter today! Will save for Halloween and use in my witch scene.

harry potter party 2014 008 potion bottles 3.jpg

harry potter party 2014 009 potion bottles 4.jpg

harry potter party 2014 010 potion bottles 5.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Your daughter is going to have an awesome party. She is a lucky little girl.:) I am sure you will have a blast too 3 PP.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Can't wait. I would love to be there! BE sure to share photos of the event with us!

Would you share what you used for desserts/food. Love the golden snitch idea!

I am going to have a party in October for kids that will be a witches, warlock, wizard or gypsy fortune teller event. I think I will do my hallway in Harry Potter with the hanging candles. Would love to have a food area for wizards and witches.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sharing a few detail shots here.

hp platform at night.jpg
What Harry Potter Party would be complete without the Platform 9 and 3/4 entry?

hp butterbeer table.jpg
Served Butter beer- Was yummy!

hp bbb bags.jpg
Bertie Bott's Beans in take home burlap bags form Michaels

hp wands.jpg
Wands we made from oversize chopsticks, hot glue and other embellishments

hp dinner table.jpg
Dinner was served in our outdoor "Great Hall" with floating lanterns above (dollar tree!)

hp dinner party.jpg

hp witches at dinner.jpg

hp great hall at night.jpg

hp lanterns.jpg

hp night fireplace.jpg

hp ollivanders.jpg
Ollivander's Wand Shop where we made wands. (The kids played with them the entire party)

hp olliv close.jpg

hp olliv wands shop.jpg

hp oliv beads.jpg

hp olliv at night better.jpg

hp myrtle.jpg
Also a must have: Moaning Myrtle in the loo

hp bird cages.jpg
Take home favors were Michaels bird cages, with their names inside (also used to determine who sat where at dinner time)

hp snitch tree.jpg
Snitch Tree

hp snitch close.jpg

Guests came in costume but for those who did not, we had extra available. EVERY kid wanted a hat or a robe- it was GREAT! They all went into this magical world during the party and really got into their "parts" without any coercion from me. It was amazing.

hp potion shelf.jpg
Daughter and I had fun making labels (HP themed of course) for the potions shelf

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When guests first arrived, they were sorted into their houses via a color changing magic potion drink. A couple drops of food coloring in bottom of cup helped to determine whether they got Gryffindor = RED; Hufflepuff= YELLOW; Slytherin= GREEN; Ravenclaw= BLUE.

After that we went to the wand shop to pick wands and decorate if they wanted to. They kept these things throughout the night, and really got into playing "wizards". These were large chopsticks I got at our local DAISO (A Japanese dollar store, basically).

Next was Snape's Potions Class, where we used a book some other mom had made I found online. A potions class handbook- it was awesome because she had all the potions already named with HP related ingredients and all I had to do was print it up. They were standard kitchen science experiments with a HP flair. Dancing Unicorn Milk and Exploding Filibusters were their faves.

After Potions, they played a memory tray game (with all HP related times), so I could get dinner on the table (Italian, easy, pasta, etc). It was fun when they all got to yell out how the item was relevant in the book or movie after we were counting up who got the most items on their lists. It is amazing how much 9 year olds know about HP!

They loved eating in THE GREAT HALL, with silver platters, and yummy butter beer. (First time many of them had it!) The floating lanterns from Dollar Tree were my favorite thing!

They had some free time on our swingset and all pretended to be wizards. Every single kid wore a robe or a hat and carried their wands. They were casting spells, pointing wands, and flying on the broomsticks I had set out for decorations. It was AWESOME :)

After dinner, they watched Harry Potter #1 in "The Common Room" --- our little cottage in our backyard.

I am exhausted but it was SO worth it. I am so stoked my 9 year old daughter LOVES HArry Potter so I could pull down so much of my Halloween stuff in MAY :)

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Fantastic party, props and kids. Love it all.

We don't have a Michaels--there is one about an hour away. I love the small birdcages. Were they expensive?

If your friend Pins her potions book or allows it to be shared, but sure to let us know. This sounds like a lot of fun.

They will always remember this party. Do you go all out every year? This will be hard to beat or even equal!

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
I would have loved to have been there too, even if i had to wear an invisible cloak! While I wasn't there, I will always remember your daughter's party. Super job 3PP.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts