Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D We always go all out for Halloween. :D

This year we're planning on doing a Harry Potter inspired front porch.

We've been working on making floating candles from the great hall. We're making them from cardboard tubes with hot glue for the dripping wax and then spray painting them. We ordered a ton of LED votive candles which we're going to mount into to the tubes.

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what material we should us to hang them? Black thread would show up during the day and fishing line is kind of shiny and may show up at night. Does anyone know what what the pros use for less visible string?

We were also thinking of adding potions bottles with various colored liquids with chunks of dry ice (out of reach of the trick or treaters). And we've got a short throw projector and we were thinking of projecting Dementors onto the house.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

We'll post photos and video when we're done. Thanks in advance.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,004 Posts
I would just use very fine white or black thread and not worry too much about it showing since in lower light (which I assume you'll have) no one will see the threads. :)

And for ideas - I can't think of a better place to look than Epbot's blog. It's a husband/wife team that also are the Cake Wrecks folks (if you aren't familar - both blogs are wonderful!)

http://www.epbot.com/2016/11/a-new-and-better-way-to-make-floating.html
^including her floating candles tutorial as it's wonderful

http://www.epbot.com/search/label/HarryPotter
^should bring up every post she's done about Harry Potter. Some of it may be regarding the Wizarding World out in Florida, but there's lots of great props and decor she's constructed over the years (they throw a x-mas themed party each year and go all out) so you're bound to get some great ideas for your porch.

For some other ideas located here on Halloween Forum, I know there's a fantastic thread on making baby mandrakes and if you search "Harry Potter" there should be many more ideas on the forum.

And I did remember this one: http://www.eatingbender.com/2013/11/07/order-of-the-phoenix-az-a-harry-potter-party-in-the-desert/
I love the brick "doorway" for the platform at 9 3/4 to get into the party - might see if you could rig up something like that if the trick or treaters wouldn't trip or otherwise have difficulties because that's so cool!

Could also do a similar effect with the bricks, but label it "Diagon Alley" if you want to turn it all dark and creepy inside. Could have a fog machine set up and build a dragon head/neck that just comes into the porch area (with some light up eyes) if you have room. Don't forget all the lovely monsters - Aragog the giant spider, dragons, snakes, Fawkes the Phoenix...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you Frankie's Girl! I am building floating candles out of PVC and could not find a good way to hang them. The link was awesome! i will post pic when I am finished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts