Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking into doing outdoor Harry Potter floating candles and need suggestions on the strongest fishing line to use for the job.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I live in the UK so I don't have dollartree or walmart etc.

Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also: If anyone can help, I need some smaller sized fake pumpkins to hang as well. Going for the full Hogwarts theme.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I made these in 2013, I used 50lb fishing line...only because it was that or 6lb that I had at the time.

It's worked fine each year since.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You should be able to use a light fishing line for this, unless your candles are really heavy. In which case, I would think your issue would be the connection to the ceiling and not the line itself. Fishing line is rated at the point which it breaks. So, 6 lb line will break at about 6 lbs of tension.

If you're looking for really tough line, the higher the pound rating, the stronger it is.

I just realized fishing line in the UK might not be rated in pounds. :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I think I made a post before clarifying that the candles are being hung outside, from the windows so they can take the pressure. Unfortunately, that post didn't get published for some reason? I think the candles will be too heavy for a light fishing line, but I appreciate the feedback. I think I will follow thehoghunter's advice; I really don't want any candles flying off and hitting kids! :eek:

·
Typing Away
3,627 Posts
I use the black braided fishing line on my FCG. So Like bert1913 said it is very strong, I think my is label 30 pound test line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know of heavy duty clear fishing line? Black or color line may ruin the illusion of floating candles ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi from fellow UK Haunter! I used the clear plastic line on a roll for garden strimmers. I have used it for candles and to hang all sorts of things outside it's very strong and nothing has ever fallen down. I get it from Wilkinsons, and its in store now in garden range £4.50 for two x 3m lengths, so does go a long way.:)

strimmer.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
It matters where your candles are hanging (what's behind them when viewed from the front/side). I used what I had on hand, clear fishing line...I believe I sprayed flat black paint onto them for about 6 inches right above where the candle top ends, just to insure any light would not reflect and ruin the illusion. Unfortunately, the HOA replaced the dark brown fence behind the spot where my candles are with a WHITE PVC fence, so I probably have to remove the flat black paint.
You should probably try to get clear fishing line and black to figure out what would work best in your environment. You may even need both...it matters what the background is like, how well lit it will be, etc...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Sharon, thanks for this! I may get some but considering it's wilko's....not totally convinced it'll be strong enough but I'll look into it!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I use Spider Wire fishing line for my boarded up windows and other hanging items. I haven't had an issue with the line breaking or being seen. It's a moss green but so thin you have to look for it. I believe mine is a 10lb (22kg) test. Even in front of the white fence you should be okay.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've also used Spider Wire and it is made of Kevlar and is so thin that it is virtually invisible in all but bright light.

I was running a line about 30 feet across my yard to hang some things from and found an interesting side effect of the line when it is under tension. It sings! There was a light breeze and I kept hearing this eerie sound which turned out to be coming from the Spider Wire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts