Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm not sure if you have one but my local Rural King has tons of solid while Styrofoam blocks in their lot free for the taking. They are about 12"x12"x18".I built a couple pedestals from them. When I went there they had 50+. I know white foam isn't the best but I've found burning the grout lines with a solder iron and heat sealing gave a nice finish before dry locking.
We don't have a Rural King either, but we do have a Shipton's Big R and a Tractor Supply which both are pretty much the same thing as Rural King. I will have to go and see if they have any of those blocks of styrofoam or if they usually get them in with some of their shipments. Thanks for the heads up as to another place to get styrofoam from.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Okay, my entry archway is starting to get real. The way that I wanted to do it, and had it drafted out, required a lot of pvc and several 't' and 45' connectors (which add up fast, as most of you know). I just couldn't justify the total cost of this project. AND THEN, a 10' x 10' x 20' carport frame got listed on FB marketplace for $20. It's mine.

Now I can build and attach the facade to the front of the frame, drape black plastic or some other material over the rest. I have some hanging led candles on the way, and I made hanging jack o' lanterns last year, so a few will go inside the enclosure with some fog and creative lighting, and then it will open up to the rest of the driveway. (Also, I'll raise it up a little, hoping to get it in the neighborhood of 12' tall).

Pictures on the project start tomorrow!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I went and got the frame in the rain today. I didn’t grab a before pic, because of the rain but here it is loaded in the back of the Escalade

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm not sure if you have one but my local Rural King has tons of solid while Styrofoam blocks in their lot free for the taking. They are about 12"x12"x18".I built a couple pedestals from them. When I went there they had 50+. I know white foam isn't the best but I've found burning the grout lines with a solder iron and heat sealing gave a nice finish before dry locking.
I have gone to every Tractor dealership and Feed & Grain store in our area searching for the elusive blocks of foam others post about here with absolutely no luck. I'm not sure why, but our area doesn't use them for shipping. A pity though, because so many great things have been made from them. We use white foam for all our stuff because it's free. Over the years it's held up great. And we don't really treat it all that well. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Panels getting assembled. I used a 2x3 on the bottom and 2x2s around the perimeter. I used a layer of door skin material and the foam on top of it. The door skin gives it some rigidity while keeping it lightweight. It also gives me something to glue the foam to

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah, that’s Moose. He is my mini-me. If I’m in the shop, he’s in the shop. A couple of more pics of tonight’s progress.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I hate the fact that I have to work for a living and I really just want to be at home building props. I keep thinking that a couple of days of work on this and I could have it done. I might have to see if I can get a day off this week and just grind it out and have it ready for paint this weekend....

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I hate the fact that I have to work for a living and I really just want to be at home building props. I keep thinking that a couple of days of work on this and I could have it done. I might have to see if I can get a day off this week and just grind it out and have it ready for paint this weekend....
Yeah it sucks when jobs and life things get in the way of working on projects. I wish I had a place to build props for a living or I could work some place that builds props and get paid. Then it wouldn't be so bad when life things occur because then I would be ready for the break from building things all day at work.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yeah it sucks when jobs and life things get in the way of working on projects. I wish I had a place to build props for a living or I could work some place that builds props and get paid. Then it wouldn't be so bad when life things occur because then I would be ready for the break from building things all day at work.
I have a good shop, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't replace my salary with what I would make building props. Plus, I live in a small market and it would require a lot of shipping of props. I have often thought about starting a side business where I would sell small props, or small prop kits with tutorials on how to make them, but that is a lot of work as well.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
Alright guys, My wife told me today that she wants a Harry Potter inspired archway over the doorway over the driveway. My driveway is 24' across so there is plenty of room. I'm thinking something that looks like this the archway over wizarding world (I'll try to post a picture). I will build the facade out of insulation foam board (a lot of it), but what is best to build the frame out of? PVC? Pallets? Lumber? I do need to be able to break it down during the off season, the city wouldn't care much for me leaving it up year round, so I need to be able to build it in such a way that it disassembles.
View attachment 718285

What do you guys suggest?
I have a 24' arch that goes over my driveway but of a different style. Mine was constructed with 3 plywood sections and 2x2 framing, essentially creating a box beam. It was free standing supported on 4x4 A-frame from my kids old swing set. It breaks down into 3 sections. It got the faux stone foam front in 2017.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts