Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has used anything from the HD or Lowes company's to "hard coat" their foam props? I'm going to be building some "stone" walls this year and want to protect them the best way I can, but not bust the bank either. I've used Drylock for my tombstones. It looks really good, but the foam can still be damaged. I don't want to get into resin if I can help it. Very expensive and smelly. I've heard that Hotwire Foam Factory has some stuff, but I have not tested it out. And it seems like its just some type of glue that maybe I can find the equivalent type of product at one of the home department stores. I guess I could always try Drylock and then a couple of coats of Polyurethane but I don't know what that will do to the foam. I'm just really looking for an easy way to make harden foam walls.

Thanks,

~Cheers!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
We just finished a project using Flexseal spray rubber laid over foam and it worked great. The solvent in the rubber didn't attack the foam and the rubber accepts latex and acrylic paints just fine. They sell it at Lowes, Walmart, etc., and it's a little less than $10 a can.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just finished a project using Flexseal spray rubber laid over foam and it worked great. The solvent in the rubber didn't attack the foam and the rubber accepts latex and acrylic paints just fine. They sell it at Lowes, Walmart, etc., and it's a little less than $10 a can.
That's great to hear, but does it make it a "hard" coating? Or does it "flex" when you push on it? And if you do push it does it offer any protection or does it go right back to it correct shape? And do you need to paint the foam first with latex paint or can you spray Flexseal directly onto the foam. And can you paint over the Flexseal.

I know, I know I have a lot of "And's" in that paragraph. :)

Thanks for the response.

~Cheers!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm trying to think of a good comparison for you. The rubber isn't rock hard but it's not soft either. I can tell you that we used it on the chest area of the werewolf we were making that had a lot of soft foam making up the upper chest area, and my two moron German Shepherds were goofing around and knocked it over. The figure fell about four feet and the chest impacted on the edge of some kitchen cabinets and I was sure there was going to be a big groove pressed into the foam. The impact was hard enough that it removed the paint where it hit, but the rubber protected the foam perfectly. Aside from the missing paint there was no indication of the impact. I guess the closest avatar I can think of would be road or roof tar once it cools. It can be flexed, but it takes some effort.

As for painting, I only use Acrylic and Latex, mostly Latex, paint on my props. The paint goes on everything well, and with the gazillion colors available at Lowes or Home Depot, I can get any color I want made up. What I really like is Home Depot has a deal where they'll make you a 1/2 pint batch of whatever color you want as a sample for $2.99! For painting small areas there's no way to beat that deal. Anyway, I've used the Latex paint over the rubber and it works fine, and I've airbrushed the Acrylics over the Latex over the rubber and they all work fine.

I would suggest making a trip to Walmart or Lowes, get a can, and try it out on some spare foam to see if it'll work for you. We're still playing with the stuff to see what else it can do. We filled some balloons up with air, sprayed them with the rubber, and once it dried we popped the balloons and had nice rubber shapes to play with. We were thinking we could do this with those balloons clowns use for making balloon animals as a cheap way to make intestines and other organs... something I'm sure the folks at Rustoleum never thought of. :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
How about a thin-set mortar like this. I haven't tried it as a foam coating but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You could even mix it with some exterior house paint to make a waterproof monster mud-like coating.

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
there are products out there that coat your foam yes ,Rosco foam coat is one and so is the foam factory one , however they are not a hard coat like you want they will break down eventually they are not like a two part epoxy styrofoam coating . You want a hard coating that wont break , the only way to do this is by coating it in either a fibre glass or get the proper spray on coating called envirolastic , this makes it bomb proof pretty much and by the sound of it the bust the bank will not work for these applications nor will it not being stinky or messy . you can use a primer on your foamor somthing first before for the spray on bed liner that may work .

·
Registered
201 Posts
HD Supply sells stuff you can put over foam to make it as hard as stucco. I cant remember what it cost, but I looked and you have one close by you there in Ohio. It also comes in different colors. They should have window trim already covered in it so you can see how hard it is before you buy it. I have seen it before and its really hard, that might be what you're looking for just not sure on price? It will make the foam look like stucco, not sure if that matters or if you can smooth it out any?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wood glue works surprisingly well. It's made for outdoor use, can be bought by the gallon for less than $20 and takes paint. Cheesecloth dipped in it works similarly to Terra's method.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Bart Butlers methods gives you the best result at a super cheap price. Portland cement, Titebond wood glue blue label, and water. Pancake batter consistency. Search out A Haunters Life how to build modular walls episode 7. He sprays his through a hopper gun but you could brush or roll on as well. Super hard coat that protects foam great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is also a product called Synerflex coatings, they are base out of Minneapolis but have distributors elsewhere. It is a troul on method, but a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff is only $50! It will give you the "hard" effect you want and does not stink horribly. I am researching the envirolastic a bit more as it sounds great simply because you can use an air compressor and spray gun to apply. Happy creeping!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't know if this product would work or not? But Lowe's carries a tintable stain product called "Restore". It is a deck restoring product that is applied with a paint roller or brush. It is a fairly thick product that seems to dry hard. I have wanted to try this product for about a year now, but I have not had the opportunity to triy it yet. It cost about $25 a gallon or about $60 for a 3 gallon bucket.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't know if this product would work or not? But Lowe's carries a tintable stain product called "Restore". It is a deck restoring product that is applied with a paint roller or brush. It is a fairly thick product that seems to dry hard. I have wanted to try this product for about a year now, but I have not had the opportunity to triy it yet. It cost about $25 a gallon or about $60 for a 3 gallon bucket.
I picked up a gallon of mistinted "BEHR Premium DeckOver" from Home Depot last year which I used it as a coating for my tombstones. It seemed to hold up pretty well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts