Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-
I'm looking to get a drill press. The 'reason' is so that I can make my cemetery fence this year. At least, that's what I'm convincing myself of. ;) I know Harbor Freight has some cheap ones- especially this weekend... but I'm not convinced of their quality. I also don't like how small they are- a floor drill press would be great, but out of my price range.

Does anyone have experience with HF's power tools? Will they last, or are they junk?
Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got one you can have if your in the area(las vegas). Central Pnumatic from harbor freight the table top model. But it dosn't spin true..... got me by tell I could afford a better one. But it sucks to be honest. I should of keep takin them back till I got a good one. That might work good for the money.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
My dad has a Delta bench top drill press he uses it a lot for woodowrking and has never had any complaints. I haven't used it a whole lot, but I enjoy the variable speeds.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I have to be honest, Harbor Freight isn't worth it. I've never been happy with their products. My friend has a saying for HF, "they're a great place to get one-project tools". I have to agree, that seems to be about how long their tools last.

I have had a lot of success with Craftsman products purchased at Sears. I have a great Craftsman tablesaw, metersaw, drill press, router, etc. I just look for things on sale -- which means this Memorial Weekend should be great!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured. I normally stick to Craftsman for most my tools- lately been buying Ryobi from Home Depot. They're ok, but not stellar. They work. I get minor things from HF- air hoses and what not. I figured their tools are crap.

Any advice on the SIZE of drill press? It just seems like the 10" ones aren't that big, by the time you put in your material and a drill bit- there's not much room to work with. Do you think a 10" handles most work, or will I really need a floor press?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
6,359 Posts
I have the Craftsman 10" Drill Press and I'm really happy with it. You can open the hood and change the belt timing for different projects. Last fall I used it to drill out over 100 2" soffets for an addition and it's still in great shape. It has no problem drilling through a 4x4 post, either.

The only thing I disagree with is the "laser sight". It wobbles too much to be really accurate, so I just took it off. Figure people have drilled holes for decades without a laser pointer.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
With Harbor Freight product, it seems the more accurate the tool needs to be, the less likely the product is going to be any good.

I have a few tools that I had picked up there that I use all the time, and they're great, but they're a bit more "brute force" kind of tools, compared to precision instruments (I luvs my reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight...it's about 4 years old, and has gone through a lot of material...still going strong - same with an angle grinder).
But both of the rotary tools I've picked up there have been real pieces of......work.
Both found their way into the dustbin within weeks of purchase.
(finally splurged on an actual Dremel...best investment yet)

For a drill press? Spend the extra money, and get a good one...don't bother with HF.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can't beat craftsman or snapon. Plus they come with lifetime warrenty on hand tools. When I started my biz I went to harbor freight and got everything i needed. Then I started making a little money and as the tools broke I replaced them with good ones. But if your not in the postion to make money and build up buy the good one the first time. Cuz it'll cost more to buy junk twice than buy a good one to start.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,392 Posts
I am so glad that you posted this thread. I was thinking about buying one at HF. But, now I will probably go with a Craftsmen if I can find one on sale. Thanks all.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
I have to agree, HarborFreight stuff isn't quality. If you're only looking for one time usage or very light usage, then ok. Orther than that, Sears Craftsman stuff has good quality (at least years ago as all my equipment is 20+ years old, can't say anything about new as I haven't bought any major tools in a long time). Bought most of my tools when they would close a Sear paint & hardware store and I could get the items at 10-75% off. Last one that closed, I was able to buy a bunch of PVC @ 95% off and then the guy at the register game me another 5% off the total bill!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you guys think about the Home Depot and Lowe's brand? Ryobi and... can't remember the Lowe's one they carry...

·
Shadow box dancer
1,392 Posts
Now that I think about it I was kind of skeptical about the smaller table top drill press when I was looking at it at HF. There was just something about them that didn't seem right. It just seemed like everything was bare minimum. Like the spindles on the crank that lowers the plunger. It seemed like the metal was thin for the amount of pressure that needed to be applied. Man I am glad I held off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I to agree that some of HF tools especially the electrical ones are what I condider disposable tooling. Most of the hand tools will get the job done and will last for sometime. I have purchased a table top press at Big Lots and it is not to bad, so you may want to check out one if you have a big lots in your area.

·
6,359 Posts
What do you guys think about the Home Depot and Lowe's brand? Ryobi and... can't remember the Lowe's one they carry...
I've owned a few Delta tools (Lowes) and they're good. Again, it depends on what you're using them for and how often you're going to use them. I started with a Delta mitersaw. It was good, cut true, but didn't really have the reach I needed. So, I got a Craftsman 10" Compound Mitersaw and I like it a lot better. It has added lines on the compass for specialty cuts like 45 degree joints and angled crown molding -- very helpful for remodelling and trim work.

My personal favorite for drills is DeWalt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my part of the country (Omaha Ne ) you can always find good used drill presses on craigslist. You might look there first before going to Sears. Kerep in mind you are buying a used item. Pawn shops are another good place to buy tools.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Ditto on the pawn shops. By day I am a marketing guy at a toy company, but I build furniture/cabinets and houses on the side. I seeded my tools with disposable tools from HF and Northern Tool, but also found some great deals at Pawn Shops.

With Pawn Shops, many or most of them now make 50% or more of their sales on eBay, so you won't get a GREAT deal on anything like you used to get, but still cheaper than new.

Harbor Freight is perfectly fine for tools you won't need to use very often. For instance, I bought a biscuit joiner from them when I wasn't sure if I'd really use one. I bought a router table when I wasn't sure I'd need one...

For long term use, I buy the brands I like. Delta, Makita, Milwaukee and lately I like Rigid as well for things like recip saws.

I highly recommend looking a Grizzly for your shop tool needs.Grizzly.com® -- Home
Grizzly.com® -- Search Results

They have entry level stuff to good stuff to manufacturing quality stuff. I have several things from them including a shaper table. It is very well made.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok guys-
how important is it to have a variable speed drill press that you can change the speeds with a switch/button instead of having to switch the belt to different wheels each time?

Also- how important is it to have variable speed at all? There's a craftsman press that I'm looking at that doesn't have variable speed- seems odd to me.

There's also a Delta drill press that you have to manually adjust the belts to change speeds. In fact, I'm not seeing any drill presses that can change speeds with the flick of a switch. Any input here?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm glad this thread came along as well. I've been thinking about a drill press and considered HF. I think the assessment that light-use tools are OK from them is spot on! I bought an air compressor from them years ago...has never actually worked. But I bought a small welder about 3 years ago and it works great for the limited welding I do from year to year!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The drill press is probably one of the most used tools in my shop. If you can afford and have the space, I would get a floor standing model. Something like this:

Jet Floor-Mount Drill Press

Adjustable speed is important. Look at drill speed charts on the web. Makes a big difference if you are drilling wood vs. metal and the size of the bit that you are using.

Get a set of decent bits while you are at it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts