Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I'm so sorry that the weather damaged your fencing. It is a great archway too. I hope you will be able to make repairs and resurrect it. Wind is not our friend. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Egads, so sorry to see that!! I would hate any state that did that to my hard work too! And the poor letters, gah. I'm just really sorry to see it. Do it justice, and bring it back - don't get discouraged. I'm rooting for you!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
Wow! Hate to see that. Wind is the worst thing we can have as haunters in most cases. Be glad it's now though and not 4 weeks from tonight. You'll have time to repair and fix the problem. Good thoughts coming your way. That's a nice looking fence/columns you have there. Is that a Cadillac hearse I see in your garage!?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I hate it for you. Sucks to see that happen to all your hard work. I would definitely re-build and luckily you still have time!

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
OMG, I thought you were going to tell us that someone ran their car into your yard and fence. The wind? Hold on Toto! That wicked witchy wind did some number on you. Looks like things just got knocked over so hopefully not too bad to fix. The columns and fence look great (albeit when standing more so) BTW.

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Don't feel too bad. It happend to me too! We had a bad storm with high winds, and it destroyed my crypt! However, I was able to salvage it after work today! :) I hope you can do the same!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow! Hate to see that. Wind is the worst thing we can have as haunters in most cases. Be glad it's now though and not 4 weeks from tonight. You'll have time to repair and fix the problem. Good thoughts coming your way. That's a nice looking fence/columns you have there. Is that a Cadillac hearse I see in your garage!?

I am wondering the same about that car in your garage :)
Very sorry to hear about the damage done.

·
crossfit zombie
7,610 Posts
Don't feel too bad. It happend to me too! We had a bad storm with high winds, and it destroyed my crypt! However, I was able to salvage it after work today! :) I hope you can do the same!

My masoleum is made out of wood pretty heavy around 50lbs or so and the wind moved it last year.If it would have turned over it would have destroyed alot of props.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Can't see the hearse clearly enough but, I'm guessing from 67-72 cadi. Do hate to see what happened to the fencing but, if you pile dirt up around the pillars and add goblins to the scene like they did it, then you really don't have to go to the trouble of redoing them. Just a thought. What we put up, in time mother nature will take down, so go with it. :p

Good luck with things and please post more pics.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Awww man, that is so sad. Yep, that wind we had yesterday was intense! I don't know if you were around here in 2007 but on Halloween, we had the same winds and I had a sidewalk haunt. Which is why we now have a garage haunt. :p

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Oh Dear..this is most unfortunate. If haunters do have nightmares, I suspect most of them would involve gale force winds and torrential downpours during the month of October.

It is difficult to make large props such as mausoleums and cemetary columns light enough that they are easy to dismantle and store, yet sufficiently sturdy that they do not go winging their way off into the next county should the wind rise anything above a gentle breeze.

As some have said, at least you have time to effect repairs. However, I suspect that you could probably do without the extra work right now.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the words of support, everyone! I know we all have weather issues from time to time, and honestly, I have modified the columns every year to add strength to keep them from tumbling, but Ma' Nature just throws a curveball every year. Maybe I'll take my wife's advice and just make them out of brick and leave them up permanently! :D

Alucard, that sucks with the mausoleum!! I'm glad mine didn't come down, but also not surprised, as that thing is built like a tank! The day that comes down from the wind...well, then it must've been a tornado and my house would probably be gone, too.

And yes, everyone, that is a beautiful '77 Cadillac Hearse in our garage! Her name is Rose:

Once again, thanks for the encouragement! The columns are rebuilt, with added internal rebar. the arch may have to wait a bit...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts