Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I've been working on a hangman for this year and I'm stumped on the neck.

I'd like the head to move around when the hangman kicks and I can't for the life of me think of a way to connect the head to accomplish this. I'd like the head to move like a human head (i.e. Tilt back and forth, tilt side to side and rotate left and right but not spin all the way around).

I've already built the body and kicking mechanism out of slotted steel so a bolt on option would be best. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
720 Posts
Suggestions:

A medium duty spring for the neck
Two small motors
Light duty steel cables

Set up the motors with pulleys or wheels and attach the cables to the outside diameter of the wheel, to act like a piston's crankshaft. With one motor, attach the cable to the back of the head. The other motor, attach the cable to the side of the head. Set each motor with different speeds, and as they rotate, the head will wiggle randomly as the cables pull them sideways against the spring neck.

·
Registered
880 Posts
What about mounting it on a wheel caster? You won't get tilt but it would rotate and nod. It would require that you add stops to limit the motion but it should be an easy, cheap and quick build.
I used one for the base of my 3 axis butler which is controlled by servos. You can view the thread here - http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/95325-servo-driven-animated-butler.html
The motion from the motor making the legs kick will give plenty of motion to the head.
I've got a hangman on the to do list for next year and I think I'll add this to the design. Thanks for triggering the thought process.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Another idea.

BIG ASS MOTOR inside the torso, with a horribly off-balance counterweight. Head on a spring. Whole body violently shakes, and head bobbles loosely and randomly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts