Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have had our share of exploring all the possibilities for hanging scene-setter throughout the years ranging from various kinds of putty to staples. At the end of Halloween, we are left with staple holes that we need to cover then paint over or smudge spots from the putty that we have to touch up, both being a major pain in the butt.
We started decorating for our party mid-August and it finally hit me, what if we instead of putting the putty directly to the wall we place masking tape then the putty over the tape so it never touches the walls?!! We are currently in the process fo doing so and it is working!! Sure it's more work laying out tape then putty over, but at the end of Halloween I'm hoping peeling the tape will be a sinch and leave us with fewer paint touch-ups. We are also adding velcro command strips for extra support to the corners. I'm curious if anyone else has attempted this or if there's even a simpler solution.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Sounds like a great idea for indoors.

The blue tape does come in different levels of adhesiveness so people should check out the specifics of what they are buying. For the most part my experience with it (during remodeling/construction at our home where it got used in different circumstances) was that most of the time it came off cleanly. Did however run into one version where that wasn't the case but don't recall how long it was used.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Although painter's tape is supposed to come off of painted surfaces relatively easy and without damage that is not always the case after it has been left on the surfaces for too long. I made the mistake of not removing some painter's tape for a couple of months and when I went to remove it it pulled the paint off. The sticky stuff got stickier over time.
Removable peel and stick contact paper or wall paper or decals might be a better solution.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I need to hang a scene setter without a wall in my garage. I am thinking about attaching a long metal pipe with elbows from the ceiling and attaching the scene setter to that with poster putty. This will allow it to hang down, then I plan on laying down another long metal pipe on the floor and attaching the bottom of the scene setter to that to keep it taunt. I don't want to use PVC because I know it'll bow in the middle. Has anyone tried something like this?

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
There are two kinds of PVC. One is very malleable and we use that for our frost cloth plant protection hoops over winter where we need to gently bend the pvc into an upside down U-shape. The other kind, think Schedule 40 (and costs a bit more than the other kind), is very stiff. I use that type for fence posts and sign poles. I have no doubt the Schedule 40 would work as a good pole and you could repurpose it in the future. Also might make a good, solid form to roll up your scene setters on for storage.

Here's another idea however. To weigh the bottom down you could tape up a portion of the bottom (wrap it towards the back and fix with tape) to form a small channel. Either run some thin pvc through it, dowel rods, cording, lengths of stiff cardboard. You could also skip the channel being it's indoors and you won't get much movement anyway, and tape drapery weights onto the back of the scene setter spaced out along the bottom edge (do a search for drapery weights at a fabric store like Joann's).

·
Registered
79 Posts
My thought was to leave the metal pipe up all year. I didn't realize there were 2 types of PVC pipe. I really like the channel or pocket idea. I might be able to snag an empty cardboard upholstery fabric roll from Joann's to roll up the scene setter when not in use. They are wider and would be easier to roll up than a skinny PVC pipe. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Good luck with Joann’s on getting the fabric roll. Hope you get luckier than me. I tried one year at my local store and they said they save them for people who buy a large swath of fabric and roll their purchase up on that for them. I thought of carpeting stores too but never pursued that angle.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
One other thing I did for some scene setter that I was using on our fence in order to add a forest setting there was to use clear duct tape covering the upper edge. Kind of throws off being able to easily roll it up later but does provide a sturdy edge for hanging on to the fence boards. I applied it to the back side so the tape wasn’t visible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts