Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Planning my lights show for this year. I will be having mostly animated singing lights but will be adding a cemetery to the corner just to keep a bit of creepy in the air.

The one song I am concentrating on is the original version of Grim Grinning Ghosts, I am a Disney nut. At the end of the song you have the part "hurry back, hurry back. Don't forget to bring your death certificates..."

I was thinking of have a hanging body over the cemetery that wouldn't be to visible with it's lights but at the end when this line comes up light up the body with a green light.

One, what do you think? Would that work or any one have more suggestions? If going with this any recommendations on how to make the prop?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Sounds like a winner to me! I'm a huge Disney fan as well, and LOVE the Haunted Mansion and Grim Grinning Ghosts!
As for the build, it depends how creepy you want to go... you could have a skeleton, which implies they've been hanging there a VERY long time. Easy build. Or, you go for a full body dummy. We built one a while ago, which we have used as our "Electric Chair Man" (although we are in the process of refurbishing him into a Puking Pirate). Definitely more complex AND heavier, so if you go this route, make sure whatever noose you have will be strong enough to hold him. if you ARE going to to it that way, PLEASE make sure none of the ToTs can get at it, though. If the noose is strong enough to hold a full size dummy, it's probably strong enough to hold a ToT. Don't want any accidents! :(
The dummy build was interesting. Basically, I dressed up in expendable jeans and a shirt, and my son wrapped me completely in duct tape. (Yes... duct tape!). While it sounds silly, the resulting dummy has an extremely realistic body shape and size. Afterwards, he just cut me out of the whole thing, and we taped it back up and stuffed it with old news paper. Sorry I don't have a video of the build.. it would have been damn entertaining. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I didn't think about using a skeleton. Definitely an option.

On the noose I was going to make a fake loop. Basically wrap the cord up the length, then just hook the bitter end back so it sits in place but will pull loose with any weight. The body would be held by a harness so the weight won't be all on the thinner neck.

The tree is fairly big so I can make sure the rope is fairly far up to protect the kiddies.

Jim

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I try to avoid hanging body props as a general rule and for a multitude of reasons. What I think would be cool would be to take a Wally skeleton and have it standing up with it's arm extended, and make a "dead" body in a suit standing in front of the skeleton handing it a death certificate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts