Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on how everyone incorporates or don’t incorporate grass for your yard haunt. Leave it? Cover it? Mixture of both?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,688 Posts
I stop mowing about a month before and put up the fencing. Looks great if the yard is a bit neglected looking but also helps hide some of the stakes/rebar stuff. . We don't get lots of leaf drop around my area, but if I did, I'd make mounds of them on the grave areas in our graveyard.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I mow it as short as I can get it and make sure its raked 1 week prior to putting out my yard display. I do this because I have to walk in my display everynite to bring in all my led lights and anything else I dont want getting damp,wet or stolen. Also, I dont really like having wet shoes and socks every nite.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
Right now I'm debating on cutting out foam dino prints that I can anchor to our lawn with frost cloth fabric clips so that it will smother the grass underneath and show up as dino footprints. Not sure how my husband would feel about that or how long it would take to get the effect I want. The lawn guys recently feed the grass and it looks so nice right now.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
Sometime I think we can over think things. It's been a few hours since posting and just realized I don't have to really kill the grass and instead just paint the foam footprints an earthen color and use the frost cloth staples to anchor in to the ground as is. Duh!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Right now I'm debating on cutting out foam dino prints that I can anchor to our lawn with frost cloth fabric clips so that it will smother the grass underneath and show up as dino footprints. Not sure how my husband would feel about that or how long it would take to get the effect I want. The lawn guys recently feed the grass and it looks so nice right now.
I wouldn't get between a man and his lawn. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't get between a man and his lawn. :)
Lol. That’s how I feel. My 15 year old son has got our grass looking great. I’m scared to screw it up now! 😂

·
The Haunting Girl
853 Posts
I have to wait until my landlord gives the okay put things in the yard. The grass grows like crazy in our front yard and we don't want it getting too long and overgrown. Since I do a cemetery theme the grass can be left alone as it's already expected. I do end up with a few yellow/brown spots every year from the props sitting on the grass for too long, but the lawn always seems to recover so it hasn't been an issue. I also joke that I'm aerating the lawn with all the rebar and landscape pins I drive into the ground every year.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sometime I think we can over think things. It's been a few hours since posting and just realized I don't have to really kill the grass and instead just paint the foam footprints an earthen color and use the frost cloth staples to anchor in to the ground as is. Duh!
Regardless how you go about it, I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. 🦕

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
524 Posts
I mow it as short as I can get it and make sure its raked 1 week prior to putting out my yard display. I do this because I have to walk in my display everynite to bring in all my led lights and anything else I dont want getting damp,wet or stolen. Also, I dont really like having wet shoes and socks every nite.
Also cut mine as short as possible right before setup, then let it grow through October. Leaves and other natural debris become part of the scene and are used to hide cords, bases, flatforms and other items you don't want seen.

I had grape Vines that got cut back every fall, would weave them through the display to give it an overgrown look. Great for supporting webbing.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Mow a few days before setup and let it grow the rest of the month. Helps to hide cords too. I even import tall dry grass and dried reeds and "plant" them in little tubes all over the yard for an even more overgrown look. I go to a nearby field with a machete and cut a bunch of them. I import my leaves too because we don't have any trees lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Tiny shaded intown front yard so I don’t really have grass. The one year I decided to try to grow a lawn, I put down sod in the late spring and it rained every freaking day all summer. The roots rotted, grass was dead and smelly by October. Pirate theme that year - I built a shallow pond and piled up the rotted sod around the sides. It was awesome. Definitely got my money’s worth out of that sod.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I let mine grow long for a month or so then mow it short leaving long areas that I use as grave mounds. Cheap an effective.
Also cheap and easy is collecting a trashcan full of the fall leaves and twigs and letting them mulch for a couple of weeks and then spreading them on the edge of our path and sidewalk.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
We normally cut ours a little early, like within the week if Halloween and let it get slightly high, but since we pay for lawn service and my husband loves his plush, green grass there’s no hurting the yard.

Like @Restless Acres said, don’t get between a man and his yard.

·
Registered
868 Posts
We don't have a lawn out front so much as a collection of mosses and weeds scattered among grassy spots that approximate a lawn. We mow it all down just before getting ready to put out our stuff, but like many we don't mow it afterward. Our front yard is a graveyard, and to us, the lawn is as much a prop as the tombstones and mausoleums. We will put down bark chips to approximate recently filled graves. We use leaves to hide stakes and cords. We work with the lawn whether it's totally dead because we're in a drought, or overgrown because it's raining.

The one thing we don't ever do is keep it manicured the rest of the year. We mow it, we keep it respectable, but we don't have a Better Homes and Garden lawn. We don't take very good care of it because come Halloween, we want it to look exactly the way it looks, over grown and neglected. Some say you have to sacrifice for your art. We sacrifice our lawn for the sake of our haunt. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts