Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to cast my own hands. I can never find any that work for my situation so I figure I can just cast my own.

What are the best/easiest methods to do it? I've cast before using plaster of paris for the neg and then just pouring in liquid latex. But I want to know if there are easier ways, tips, etc...

·
Registered
591 Posts
there is an insructable about it I don't remember the exact link but if you type hand casting into google it will show it.or just go to the website: insructable (s).com

·
Registered
543 Posts
Are you saying you want to make multiples of the hand?

If so, you probably want to use resin rather than plaster of paris in the alginate. You will have to seal the plaster so extensively you will likely lose detail for the next mold.

Depending on the quality of finished product you want, you could make a silicone or latex two-part mold.

You may be better off using silicone to begin with if you want multiples. Smooth-on has a lifecasting silicone:
Body Double® Lifecasting Silicone Rubber | Smooth-On, Inc.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
We made casts of ourselves in a sculpture class... we painted liquid latex on and then did a plaster mold around it to keep the shape when you made a copy...

i've also heard dragon skin works very well, but i dont know where to get it or if it works on skin...

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am working on a new skull mold that uses a hydrostone skull. I separated the skull in two with clay. Then covered the skull with plastic wrap and then applied a ¼” shell of clay. Then I covered that with a spreadable plastic shell. Removed the shell, then clay and wrap. Then, apply the release, put shell back on pour in silicone to fill the negative space. Repeat on the second half. Replace the word skull with hand and you will have a very durable mold of your hand. DeathDealer is right about the detail loss with plaster. But be careful, some resins are destroyed by water. I have yet to see if this really works. I am in mid mold right now but this is how you make a flexible mold and mother mold for casting. After this process is complete you can cast your hand in what ever medium you want. I am taking pictures of my progress, I can post if you want. Maybe see if this really works for me before you try! I wish us both luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts