Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

I've begun production on the new Hallowindow animation for 2008 so I thought I'd give you a sneak peek at some of the new imagery. Giant eyeballs, spooky forests and vampires are in the works right now. There's still lots to do. Again, if you are interested in getting a DVD of the animation this year please email me and get on the mailing list for Hallowindow 2008.

check out the still shots here:
Hallowindow 2008

Mark
[email protected]

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went to Hallowindow.com and looked at the '07 video. Very cool. What's the set up behind the windows? It looks like you are projecting the image. Do project on to the window directly or is there a scrim involved?

ScaryTinker

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The set-up behind the window is just a white sheet that I clipped to the window frame. Then I rear projected a reversed video onto the sheet. The projector was running from my laptop that was playing the video file. I borrowed the projector since I don't actually own one.

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
Wow, great idea.

I'm doing a mock window with a scrim effect.
I'm using a small closet that has folding doors. I'm opening the doors and hanging curtains to hide the doors. Then I'm hanging my black material (scrim). Behind that I am hanging a clamp light that is contented to my FX box and a silhouette. I'm putting a CD player in with a CD that is only thunderstorms. So when the thunder sounds, the FX box sends power to the lamp and it flickers to the thunder and lights my silhouette making it look like someone is standing at the window.

That might make a good Hallowindow idea too!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I considered making different versions for different sized windows but it would be too much work. I settled on keeping it 4:3 ratio (TV dimensions) so that it can be used on a TV or a window. I'm assuming that the average window is about those dimensions. But as for tall or wide windows it's hard to say how well it will work. It probably won't look too bad but you will most likely miss some of the action. I wish I had one large solid window in my house but since it's not I had to design the 2007 animation around the divisions in the window ie. making sure there was nothing small right in the middle of the screen. This year I'm not as worried about that and I'm trying to make it work for a wider variety of applications.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'm in!

will you be posting the animation for us to see,
maybe with a watermark (to protect your work, or coarse)

I REALLY cant wait

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll probably have something posted when it's done... probably watermarked or something... But yeah, I'll most likely have a page where you can see a bit of what you'll get on the DVD. I'm pretty stoked on this thing too... I'm really happy you guys are excited about it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The set-up behind the window is just a white sheet that I clipped to the window frame. Then I rear projected a reversed video onto the sheet. The projector was running from my laptop that was playing the video file. I borrowed the projector since I don't actually own one.
What do you mean reversed video?
Will you give instructions with the dvd's?
Count me in for all the editions that you produce!

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To answer a few questions:

A few people have been asking about the 2007 animation. Just to let you know, the DVD will have the full 2007 animation on it as well as the new one from this year. There will also be a couple extras on it that I think you all will dig.

Reversed Video: since I had to project my video from behind that meat I had to flip the video so that the text would read properly from the front.

Instructions: I was hoping to have an instructional step by step on the DVD or at least some basic instructions on how to set it up the way I did on my window.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
So, did I miss something?

How much are you selling these for? They are fantastic! One of the places I will be haunting at this year has a Kids night and what I saw from your earlier versions would be great for that.

So how much for the DVD?

1 - 20 of 480 Posts