Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have had some 30 Latex mask and many latex props. But I didnt always take the best care of them and sure enough they show signs of age and was a great way to throw away $25-50. Here are some care tips for storing you latex props and masks for next year.

1) Clean your latex! If its dirty, rained on or worn, you have to clean it before storage. Take a damp towel and give it a wipe down and dry it with a clean towel.

2) If its a mask that you wore, you have to clean the inside. especially around the forehead and mouth areas.

3) Make sure it doesnt have any creases or folds. Your local wig shops of halloween stores sell foam heads...typically $5. Its a good idea to put one inside your mask for storage. If the head is to small for the mask, wrap a old but clean towel around the head.

4) Powder it. Inside and out. Use cornstarch. Baby powder works too but use talc-free as it can irritate your lungs if you breath it in.

5) Bag it and Box it. I like to use trash bags, they dont let light through and UV rays will damage latex like it damages human skin. Put it in a box to keep it from getting crushed in the attic, closet or basement. Light, oxygen and other things in the air will cause latex to corrode like aluminum does, before you know it, you will have unwanted holes in your props.

6) Store it. Keep it somewhere it wont get over heated or become moldy. Damp basements and hot attics arent good. If your basement is damp, bag the box as well. If your attic gets very hot, keep your boxed up props and masks under a blanket.

This should keep your pricey latex scary stuff looking new for many years to come.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a $55 slasher mask that it only took 4 years for holes to rott completely through the latex. Alot of masks also have thin spots where air collected while the prop/ mask was being made. These spots are especially vulnerable to rotting out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks so much for the tips! I have bought a lot of latex props, most this year, and I never realized how fragile they were! Do you know, are those rubbermaid tubs good for storing the props?

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Thanks for the tips SickInTheHead. A good reminder for all who have latex masks. I'm looking at a few of them right now that will need to get put away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the tips! I have bought a lot of latex props, most this year, and I never realized how fragile they were! Do you know, are those rubbermaid tubs good for storing the props?
Those rubbermaid tubs are great for it. Thats what I use. I powder them, bag em and put them in there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was just going to do a search on this topic. I had to fix a few props for cracks ( liq. latex). I lost a few masks that melted. I usually keep them in the rafters in the garage. This year I will be bringing a few of the expensive props in the house. I did notice one thing, the better made props dont go bad right away. But Im not taking any chances.

WARNING: There will be monsters under the beds this year.

Later

1 - 7 of 7 Posts