Halloween Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
For anyone following this build or trying to build their own witch....here is some tech!
I tried to put gloves/hands on her and found that having her arms pivot right at the stick is no good!
It distorts the glove bad as the arm moves up and down when stirring and makes it impossible to curl her fingers around stick. I figured that the natural movement of a stick in my hand has the pivoting happening at the wrist not inside fingers. So I added a piece of aluminum flat bar from stick through palm of glove just at base of fingers to the arm pipe. I slotted the end of arm pipe to allow up and down movement and the slot is wide enough to allow just the right amount of twisting of wrist while stirring. Now I have realistic motion.... just need to add wire etc inside glove to hold fingers curled around stir stick.... see pix and video of this for more details....
View attachment 720362 View attachment 720363 Gloves on witch test with wrists pivoting
I may have to try something like this for the stationary hand on my stirring witch. I put a cap from a spary paint can into her hand I cut a hole in the cap so that the stick could move up and down inside the cap. Her hand stays pretty stationary it's the stick that moves in her hand. I'm not overly thrilled with that set up, but it's been working thus far. But what you did with yours might work better. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I may have to try something like this for the stationary hand on my stirring witch. I put a cap from a spary paint can into her hand I cut a hole in the cap so that the stick could move up and down inside the cap. Her hand stays pretty stationary it's the stick that moves in her hand. I'm not overly thrilled with that set up, but it's been working thus far. But what you did with yours might work better. Thanks for the idea.
No problem - use this idea if it helps you out... that's great ... glad to share!

Welcome to the forum 🦇🧟‍♀️🧙🏻‍♀️🎃

I love your prop. I hope to build my own soon. I will be keeping this thread handy as a reference
Thanks - keep watching here as I will keep updating as I get closer to completion.
I slotted the wooden stick and have the aluminum through slot so I can adjust the Ange to best match the angle of her arm so wrist moves equally above and below straight out. I think this gives most natural looking movement. I tried a couple different things before I settled on this version. Fortunately only wasted time!
But I am very happy with the end result. "Trial and error engineering!"

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I bought a 400 watt fog machine for this Stirring Witch Cauldron prop as I figured it was small enough to fit.
After trying it with the 3 swirling green lights.... I was so impressed by the effect of the fog that I removed two of the lights. So now I have just the one light farthest from witch and it is angled towards her so it lights fog and her face. A side benefit is that inside of cauldron is not as lit up and won't draw as much attention to mechanism and wires. I plan to paint inside and out side of cauldron flat black so that too will help make internals disappear. I will need to cover fog machine and bag timer if rain is predicted Halloween night....?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well... my 400W fogger was fine in the garage but as soon as I tried it outside it was a FAIL...!
Not what I wanted for this and she will be out at front door on Halloween which isn't always a calm night.

Here is my experience so far....
Bought a 1000w fogger from Home Depot as I was reluctant to bother with the 400W ones. (and I was right!)
After looking into hoses for running it to cauldron I figured why not just get the 400W and put it right inside cauldron.
Simple and discreet looking. I tested it inside garage and thought it would work ok. I also purchased the fog timer control so it would automatically keep fogging small bursts on regular intervals which would always have fog coming out of cauldron. In garage it fogged the whole garage out... so in a closed in area... maybe?
Then I took it outside! It was a little bit of a breeze but not crazy windy at all.
The 400W fogger couldn't do it at all! It put out a fog but the fog was blown away instantly and when I turned the timer setting down to replenish the fog more often it just kept going out on "re-heat". Total fail!!! Unless totally calm and Absolutely NO wind or air movement. -what are the chances of that on Halloween?

So back to 1000Watt Fogger now and I was going to buy a 2.5" shop vac hose to transfer fog to cauldron as 1000W machine is way bigger and won't fit inside with everything else in there.
At Canadian Tire the shop vac hose was $37. for an 8' length - Crazy!!!
Home Depot has it for $36. for 20' length but store here doesn't stock it.... argh!
Digging through my junk pile I came across an old exhaust rubber flex hose from the garage that they used to pump exhaust out through a hole in garage door when testing the cars. 3" and perfect length... and FREE
The 1000W is much better! It still cycles into "re-heat" mode but I can find a setting on timer that is satisfactory!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That looks cool. I wonder what it would look like if you ran the hose through a cooler full of ice or frozen bottles of water.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I think it might add the “mad scientist “ look as the fog cascades over side of cauldron instead of rising up.
I like the idea.... but I have more ideas than time as I need to finish up my stuff soon because we are having a Halloween party the weekend before Halloween. Time flies!!!!!
Glad I started right after last Halloween making these props.
There is always next year......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
At this late in the game.... I wonder if just putting a few ice cubes inside hose would make any difference.
I might try that..... for the cost of a bag of ice cubes?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I was just thinking you could get a styrofoam cooler, cut a hole on each end, run the hose through and put some frozen water bottles or ice inside. Biggest thing would be figuring out how to disguise the cooler.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks for the suggestion! I see what you are saying.... might do something? Easy enough too!
Not sure I would get much heat or cool transfer through the rubber hose in only the length of a cooler?
I must have watched every u tube video on fog chillers and it seems the hot ticket is either aluminum pipe (better conductivity) spiralled in a garbage can full of ice or a cooler with fog actually passing through a layer of ice directly.
The other concern is as I am in Canada.. it can be cold on Halloween!
Even almost down to freezing some years. One year there was snow!
Will the chiller do anything when air temp is that close to ice temp?
Then some add salt to ice to make it cooler again.....
One thing I have learned is it’s never as easy as one might think.....
Everything takes twice as long as it should?
Glad I don’t do this as a business.....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion! I see what you are saying.... might do something? Easy enough too!
Not sure I would get much heat or cool transfer through the rubber hose in only the length of a cooler?
I must have watched every u tube video on fog chillers and it seems the hot ticket is either aluminum pipe (better conductivity) spiralled in a garbage can full of ice or a cooler with fog actually passing through a layer of ice directly.
The other concern is as I am in Canada.. it can be cold on Halloween!
Even almost down to freezing some years. One year there was snow!
Will the chiller do anything when air temp is that close to ice temp?
Then some add salt to ice to make it cooler again.....
One thing I have learned is it’s never as easy as one might think.....
Everything takes twice as long as it should?
Glad I don’t do this as a business.....
That is true. Things that sound easy are not always as easy as they sound. What you have going on right now still looks awesome and maybe with your cooler temps at night it will look even more awesome. The cool nights may make the fog hang just a bit lower and thicker all on it's own.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
My opinion is keep the fog as is: warm and rising. It's supposed to be over coals, correct? Things heated that are liquid make rising stream, not falling fog. It is and looks more convincing to the subconscious the way you have it, I think. I like it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
My opinion is keep the fog as is: warm and rising. It's supposed to be over coals, correct? Things heated that are liquid make rising stream, not falling fog. It is and looks more convincing to the subconscious the way you have it, I think. I like it!
Thanks! I am tending to agree with you and it is easier as I don’t have to make anything more or store more things.... running out of space already!
I pondered the chiller idea as I thought it would help with the fog dissipating as fast outside. The 1000watt fog machine has lots of fog. Way quicker heat up than 400watt

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
For a cauldron prop, you may be better off with an ultrasonic mister rather than a traditional fog machine. It does not produce huge clouds of fog but it does creat fog continuously. Here is one place that sells the mister systems:

I think these mister units are great for indoors as there are no winds to deal with and no residue etc.
But I am not sure if they are capable of putting out enough mist for an outdoor prop...?
Anyone have a different story?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I LOVE your witch so much!!!!!!! Fantastic!!!!!
Thanks. very much!!! She has gone through several changes to get to this point. A LOT of experimenting with stuff to get the best look and movement.
I will post a video of her in the final setup at some time..... haven't finished the little things yet.
I picked up a black crow at Michaels to put on top of the stick she stirs with. Adds a bit to her....

41 - 59 of 59 Posts