Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Took inspiration from many.... like "Cyclone Jack". etc. and wanted to build a stirring witch for this year.
It is coming along fairly good and I am glad I started last winter as it has taken a while to get her the way I want.
I got a small 5 rpm gear motor for the head movement and a wiper motor on 5V for stirring arm.
This is nothing new but I figured some might like to see my take on it...

·
Registered
310 Posts
That thing is cool. Thank you for sharing it. I'm not going to have time to do any animated props this year. I got one done last year, and I'm taking on a massive archway project between now and Halloween, so if any animation gets added it will be store bought.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It isn't finished yet... still need to complete her hands. I have creepy long green gloves for her now.
With the green rotating lights in cauldron the fog machine will pump out of cauldron giving a great boiling effect. Also planning to add some spray foam around top of cauldron for effect and paint green barrel black etc.
Some kind of burning coals effect under it if I get time...... Plus sounds of witch cackling and witch voices.
In the short videos and pictures you can see details... as I figured some will be interested in the "how it works".
If you look closely at the head movement videos, you will see that I have equal length arms on motor and link.
This gives me only half the travel but causes her head to stay up longer and just dip down for a look.
This I think is much more natural than just having the head constantly moving up and down.
And no fancy controller....just some accidental discovery! If you are looking close enough you will pick up that the first short video without the head, the arm pushed the other way. It is dependent on the head being heavier than the back lever arm to work the way it is now. Hope that makes sense...?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That thing is cool. Thank you for sharing it. I'm not going to have time to do any animated props this year. I got one done last year, and I'm taking on a massive archway project between now and Halloween, so if any animation gets added it will be store bought.
Thanks ... I think some of the details in the stuff we build might be lost on the kids.... but the parents and other builders appreciate it for all the time it takes and the creativity involved.
I was recently in Spirit Halloween and was in awe of the 7' Crouchy the Clown animatronic - now it was big $$$

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more note: The witch shoes were originally women 4" tall high heel shoes from Value Village for $9.
I hacked off the heel and drilled a hole in it which was a pain with all the steel reinforcing in shoe.
But this gave me the look of very pointy toes curled up in front. The hole is for the pin that is inside PVC leg that mounts on steel plate she is standing on to hold her up. I went with 1/8" steel for the base because I had it and after I paint it to match my concrete step it will disappear....

·
Registered
310 Posts
I did some 'hot coals' last year using the great stuff and orange lights (I used two strands, one solid and one that dimmed and brightened), some light coats of spray paint and they were awesome. Lots of tutorial on here on how to do it. I mixed some dollar store skulls into mine for effect that was lost on most people, but the people that noticed thought it was awesome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great work. I also live in Canada and have been looking for a small gear motor like the one you used for the head. Would you have a link to where I can purchase it?...Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a source for the "deer motor" in Canada as Kindy's don't ship to Canada or price would be too high.....
A place called Haunted House Creations in Scarborough On. see link for them here:https://www.hauntedhousecreations.com/motors/
I didn't order that as some say they are limited on torque and if prop is too heavy they don't have enough power.

The one I used is this:https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072B8463P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has lots of torque and is maybe overkill for a witches head... but cost was comparable... and it runs fairly quiet.
maybe not as quiet as deer motor...?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The gear motor from amazon didn't come with any hub or arm so I made that from a piece of aluminum by drilling a perfect sized hole and attaching it with a set screw.... worked out fairly straight. didn't have to be perfect.

you could use a small U-bolt that they repair cable etc with and attach arm with it as well.
Put U-bolt around gear motor shaft and drift two holes in your crank arm with spacing of U-bolt....

Hope that helps as I appreciate the difficulty finding stuff....

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Very nicely done. I have plans to eventually make one of these. I will make sure to bookmark this so I can refer back to it when I do.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did some 'hot coals' last year using the great stuff and orange lights (I used two strands, one solid and one that dimmed and brightened), some light coats of spray paint and they were awesome. Lots of tutorial on here on how to do it. I mixed some dollar store skulls into mine for effect that was lost on most people, but the people that noticed thought it was awesome.
That is what I was thinking... where did you find the dimming/ flickering lights?
I haven't found any that do that.... just regular orange led lights.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That is what I was thinking... where did you find the dimming/ flickering lights?
I haven't found any that do that.... just regular orange led lights.
I actually looked all over for them, and then found them locally (I live in a town of 4500 people, so the chances of that were so slim). Unfortunately, the place I bought them from went out of business a couple of months ago, so I can't even go see if they have more this year.

I do think that dimming or flickering white ones would work if mixed with solid orange ones. And you can get those as christmas lights.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have these orange multi-function lights on order for the fire under the cauldron. I will add a string of red lights in as well.
Thanks I looked at that link but as I am in small town Canada - No ace Hardware...
But found the similar thing at local Home Depot- similar but 300 LED and 8 functions.
home depot 300 led lights orange
I picked them up today and they have a mode that looks like it will work... see short video of best mode:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts