Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone's posted a thread about Halloween wines, but I thought I'd get one started because I had a good one this weekend! :)

It was a red blend called Monster Mash and I picked it up at World Market. It was a deelish, fruity (but not too sweet) blend. The label this year was a werewolf with red eyes. Anyone try it yet?

What are your fave Halloween themed wines?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Sadly, I live in PA. No one has told our beloved lawmakers that prohibition ended some time ago. If the wine isn't on the state-approved list and marked up to the moon at very limited state-sanctioned places of sale, it ain't happening here :(.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
620 Posts
I happen to know the St. Julian does ship wine, all available to order online. I'm just south of the Michigan line in Indiana so no problem shooting up on a weekend to pick some up, and taste the huge amount of local wineries.
I'm not sure if Leelenau ships or not, you would need to call and find out.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
World Market used to carry a red and a white called "Trick" and "Treat" but I haven't seen them the last couple of seasons. There wasn't anything really special about the taste of either one but I always bought them, you know, because they were halloween themed! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
First off, I think I found my new favorite thread this year :) Thank you RedSonja!!!

I have purchased Hallowine a few years back when I still lived in Chicago (from Binny's) and it was pretty good - like a spiced wine. Tasted good warmed as well. I haven't looked for it since I have moved to California, hopefully it's available nationwide.

On the topic of beverages I've used Blavod's black vodka. If you pour it over the back of a spoon it will layer over a glass of orange juice quite nicely to create a black/orange looking drink. (Basically a screwdrive - except the vodka is sitting on top. If you mix it it gets this gross green color)

hallowine (2).JPG blavod-vodka.jpg

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Madame, I''ve had that Trick and Treat wine you're talking about. Cool label, but the wine wasn't that great. One year I got one simply called Evil....and it tasted just like it. :(

Mita, glad you're a fellow wine lover! I'll have to check out that Hallowine, I've never seen it. And I've been wanting to try the Blavod vodka for quite some time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
First off, I think I found my new favorite thread this year :) Thank you RedSonja!!!

I have purchased Hallowine a few years back when I still lived in Chicago (from Binny's) and it was pretty good - like a spiced wine. Tasted good warmed as well. I haven't looked for it since I have moved to California, hopefully it's available nationwide.

On the topic of beverages I've used Blavod's black vodka. If you pour it over the back of a spoon it will layer over a glass of orange juice quite nicely to create a black/orange looking drink. (Basically a screwdrive - except the vodka is sitting on top. If you mix it it gets this gross green color)

View attachment 299442 View attachment 299450
I hunted down some Blavod last year and attempted to make a layered screwdriver, and mine turned into a gross green mix, like you mentioned. Maybe my OJ wasn't thick enough for the vodka to float on. I'm going to try again this Halloween. I'm usually pretty decent at making layered shots and such.

I really dig the label design on that Hallowine.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
620 Posts

View attachment 299442 View attachment 299450
mita23, that you for this tip. I live in NW Indiana, and work in and around the Chicago Area. I'll need to swing by Binny's and see if they have it this year.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I have an old bottle of Moselland Black Cat Riesling, and some of Door County's Apple Hallowine.
There are a couple Romanian labels (it's in the basement, and I don't remember offhand).
[Trivia for any curious wine fans-- Transylvania used to have top of the line grapes, developed from vines brought during the Roman occupation. When Ceaușescu came into power (we were told) he had the old vines ripped out in favor of planting more massively-producing grapes (of lower quality) for the Russian market. The industry started making a comeback after 1989, but the ancient vines are gone for good.]

I'm going to see whether I can get some Transylvanian Bat's Blood this year (a single-grape Merlot). They export to the UK-- I'll have to see what the cost is to get hold of a bottle here.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I think I need to take a "Fall Foliage" out-of-state drive to Maryland! Oooh - or maybe even Ohio. They've just lifted the limits on alcohol content on beer. Might have to make a tri-state tour!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts