Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Thanks for posting Bigant. Both are under consideration for my haunted hotel this year. On the ghost maid one are you using a scrim in addition to a white screen? I'd like to get a similar black background as the one from the Ghost Apparitions DVD. Plus we have some lighting from a street light nearby to contend with, which I think helps light up the white screen I have used previously. Been wondering if a scrim would help with both situations.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting Bigant. Both are under consideration for my haunted hotel this year. On the ghost maid one are you using a scrim in addition to a white screen? I'd like to get a similar black background as the one from the Ghost Apparitions DVD. Plus we have some lighting from a street light nearby to contend with, which I think helps light up the white screen I have used previously. Been wondering if a scrim would help with both situations.
I am not using a scrim on either one actually and there is even a flood light shining right on them from the neighbor's house across the street. To be honest I dont know why the window on the ghost maid one doesnt go as black as the other window does except for maybe a difference in projectors. The ghost maid one is using a 3000lumens projector that cost around 1200 dollars (im borrowing it Im not that baller) and the other one is using my personal 2000lumens viewsonic that we just bought this year. Its possible the viewsonic simply has a darker black than the other projector. I havent tried to swap them to see if that is the case

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
Very nice!

I just got the ghost maid last week, and she goes on stage this upcoming Friday night! :)

I've also been toying with the idea of the 'Head of the House', but can't quite make myself pull the trigger since I can't/won't use the other ghosts on the DVD. :eek: If I could get it as a single digital download, I'd do it right away.

As for the distinction in the black 'depth' on the ghost maid, perhaps the projector just needs an adjustment to the contrast setting to get you where you want to be?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice!

I just got the ghost maid last week, and she goes on stage this upcoming Friday night! :)

I've also been toying with the idea of the 'Head of the House', but can't quite make myself pull the trigger since I can't/won't use the other ghosts on the DVD. :eek: If I could get it as a single digital download, I'd do it right away.

As for the distinction in the black 'depth' on the ghost maid, perhaps the projector just needs an adjustment to the contrast setting to get you where you want to be?
Grandin Road seems to have the atmosfearfx dvds on sale for 19 bucks and some people are using coupons to get them for even cheaper with free shipping! there is a thread on the board about it I think. As for the projector, its the same one I used last year but it was the only one so I had nothing to compare it to, I will mess around with it some tonight and see how it turns out

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Looks terrific, BigAnt! I used Dminor's Ghost Maid last year and she was a big hit! I've already got my window set up to use her again this Halloween.

I just use plain old wax paper on my windows for the projection.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK, BigAnt and others using the AtmosphereFX DVD's. Forgive my ignorance here but, you are projecting these from inside the room, onto a white sheet (or something) in the window correct? If you just project onto a window, does nothing happen?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Yeah the light would pass thru the window glass just like regular light in the room with nothing to catch the image.

ScaryCanuck, should mention that the DVDs can obviously be used on a TV screen or projected onto a wall or floor or in the example of the Pumpkin Jamboree onto pumpkins for example in addition to a screen. With or without backgrounds and sometimes other effects you choose. Pretty versatile really.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
We initially tried to project onto the window and it does work, but not very well. You can see the figures, but a lot of the detail doesn't show up well. Also, you can see the projector light, plus you see a mirror image that's reflected from the glass back to the wall. It looked okay, but nowhere near as nice as it should.

After watching the videos on here, we went to Walmart and got one of their frosted shower curtains and that works much better. You can't see the projector lamp through it, nor do you get the mirror image on the back wall. The only issues we had was the curtain was folded up so there are fold seams showing, which we hope will be gone before Halloween, and the brightness of the projector caused the liner to be glowing even when an image wasn't there. We fixed this by dimming the brightness setting on the projector and increasing the contrast setting.

We knew we had it right when the traffic started backing up on our street due to people stopping to look at the window. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Return the frosted one and buy white plain. Frosted creates hotspots, even the glowing you described. The white doesnt do that.

White

Frosted/Opaque

Victor

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah Im just using cheap white shower curtains from walmart. I leave up the entire time, the sun beating down on them everyday helps to get rid of the folds as they heat up a little they should start to straighten out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts