1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
The Great Crazy
42,937 Posts
I think Halloween sales will be way up this year! Halloween and Christmas are 2 of the most money making Holidays each year. Halloween get's more new props and ideas than Xmas.
Halloween you can be who you want to be and Xmas its Santa or the elf lol.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
This is the same predicted trend as last year... however there are no halloween decorations and aisles full of Christmas decorations

Does that make sense to anyone else? There is a Halloween demand... where is the supply?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is the same predicted trend as last year... however there are no halloween decorations and aisles full of Christmas decorations

Does that make sense to anyone else? There is a Halloween demand... where is the supply?
That is a good question I think despite Xmas sales being down its still a bigger holiday so that's why you see the big early push for Xmas starting in July

·
Registered
220 Posts
Made my rounds this weekend. Stoped at Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, Walgreens, K-Mart, Target and Wal-Mart very sad, the only thing I came home with is a pair of "gruesome ground breakers" hands and a few candy pumpkin pails. Not much else caught my eye. But I saw lots and lots of fully decorated christmas trees all lite up. There is something just wrong with this picture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We haven't even changed the calendar to October and Christmas stuff is out. I love Christmas too, but lets get through Halloween and then Thanksgiving first.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Well, logically, since people spend dramatically less on Halloween than on Christmas (nationwide), there's much more room to "spend more" on H'ween than on Christmas. I'm pretty sure last year the national per-household Christmas expenditures were over $800. Certainly we don't, as an average, anywhere even approach that for H'ween. (As an average, I said! Here on this forum, $800 would be a cheap year, LOL.)

So yeah, it's way easier for a person who spent $20 on candy last year for H'ween to spend $40 instead this year by simply buying one mini-prop or device. By contrast, imagine doubling an $800 Christmas budget. (I'm just using "doubling" as an example/comparison and because the math is easy. Obviously, neither holiday is expected to up or down by double.)

People are cutting back on Christmas in the past few years ONLY because the average spending had been absolutely, positively sick, just outrageous for Xmas, whereas for H'ween, you could buy $1.00 window clings one year, then buy two of them next year and say you'd doubled your spending for H'ween.

Never fear. H'ween *is* more popular now than in recent years. If it goes down again, it will go up yet again in the future. It comes and goes in waves (the popularity of H'ween, I mean). Christmas by contrast pretty much stays a constant. That's just the way it is. We actually are in a minority.

But hearing that H'ween spending will be up AT ALL is music to my ears because if even one more person than last year has discovered the fun of H'ween, then, yay! More fun all around.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I do know the answer to this, and that is: the H'ween supply does meet the demand. The proportion of Xmas:H'ween available stuff to buy that you see in stores pretty much does cover how *the average person or family* spends on Xmas v. H'ween.

For the most part, people either buy just one or two cheap things (hence, not so much is needed on shelves, and in fact, much is often left over for the next year), or they go all-out like us and make a huge portion of our own stuff, hence, this faction doesn't buy much off-shelf anyway.

ETA: Honestly, when I was growing up, there might be one aisle of costumes, plus one of TOT pails (or in smaller stores, one aisle that contained both and that probably didn't fill up the whole aisle), and then candy as a given store's (even a big store's) whole entire display for H'ween. There weren't dozens of stores opened specifically for H'ween (and then closed again the rest of the year). There weren't aisles of artificial fall foliage, tons of 3-D decor (mostly it was the cardboard-jointed variety) and trinkets that you see now even in the most flimsily represented stores. The amount on shelves has in fact increased; we just don't see it that way because we'd like to see even more. But, yes, I believe the supply has pretty much kept up with the demand and in some years has exceeded it.

ETA: Oh, and as far as why Xmas stuff is going up earlier and earlier...for decades, that was the one season merchandisers COULD count on people spending on no matter what. But now our economy is seriously in the crapper and people really are scaling back (this has been a trend for several years). So in an effort to bring their moneymaker back, merchandisers are putting things out waaaaaaaaaay early in the hopes that people will "space out" their purchases and still end up spending as much in the end, but less painfully (I do this with H'ween, actually; I budgeted for one skellie last March, then one in April, etc.).

I know lots of people who "start" Xmas buying in August so they only have to spend X amount each month. I don't agree with this, mind you. I think it's obscene. I'm just explaining it. :p

·
Emperor of Candlewood
4,330 Posts
There is no competition! Us haunters go far and beyond and xmas displays can go! The only place the xmas beats my Halloween is the electricity bill... I haunt for a single weenkend and xmas lights are all month long! Yes i do put up lights friends... I know... lol!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with what CaliforniaMelanie is saying. For Halloween the average person will just by some candy and maybe a few decorations, like pumpkins and a hanging skeleton or two. On Christmas people are buying presents, food, wrapping paper, decorations, etc. Since there is little being spent on Halloween one year, its easy to spend more the next.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
There is no competition! Us haunters go far and beyond and xmas displays can go! The only place the xmas beats my Halloween is the electricity bill... I haunt for a single weenkend and xmas lights are all month long! Yes i do put up lights friends... I know... lol!
No need to be apologetic here...I do Xmas too...I'm not really Christian but I love all the Christmas iconography and all that...grew up with it. H'ween does trump Xmas for me, though. ;) But there's a HUGE representation here that does up Xmas too, and in fact, Larry has an Xmas site. :)

No worries! Havin' fun is havin' fun!

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
hmmmm ... Christmas decorations.... cheap, lots of variety, avaialbe everywhere, available from July to January

Halloween decorations... expensive, little variety, available in few locations, avaialble from the end of September to the end of October

How can you compare $$$$$ between these two holidays... Stores don't even give Halloween a chance

At the end of Christmas there are shelves full of product
It isn't even October yet (Halloween decorations have been up for 2-3 weeks) and the shelves are already picked clean

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
I agree with what CaliforniaMelanie is saying. For Halloween the average person will just by some candy and maybe a few decorations, like pumpkins and a hanging skeleton or two. On Christmas people are buying presents, food, wrapping paper, decorations, etc. Since there is little being spent on Halloween one year, its easy to spend more the next.
The average person probably can't afford to pay $10- $100 per prop

But almost anyone can afford to buy a package of lights or ornaments for $1.99

If there were more affordable props... more people would purchase them!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If there were more affordable props... more people would purchase them!
Not necessarily. If a person doesn't love a holiday...he or she just doesn't and there will be nothing enticing enough to *make* the person participate. For instance, if Valentine's Day greeting cards were way cheaper than they are, I still wouldn't send any because the holiday just is not important to me, period.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
Not necessarily. If a person doesn't love a holiday...he or she just doesn't and there will be nothing enticing enough to *make* the person participate. For instance, if Valentine's Day greeting cards were way cheaper than they are, I still wouldn't send any because the holiday just is not important to me, period.
Sadly, there are many people who love this holiday but can't afford to purchase the props (this forum is full of posts stating this, and I know that most of my friends feel this way).

And price does affect consumer purchases. We all have bought items for the sole fact that it cost just a dollar or that it was on sale. Even if we don't purchase it for ourselves, we purchase it for a family member or a friend, or just in case.

Much of all purchases are related to exposure and impulse buys. And impulse buys are greatly affected by price. Most people buy $1 candy bar on impulse not a $50,000 BMW.

Plus a $1-$5 prop is less initimidating for a new haunter than buying a prop costing $20 to $100 +. Low cost props are like the gateway drug for this very addicting holiday. Most of us started by buying a $10 tombstone or a $4 bag of webbing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Sadly, there are many people who love this holiday but can't afford to purchase the props (this forum is full of posts stating this, and I know that most of my friends feel this way).

And price does affect consumer purchases. We all have bought items for the sole fact that it cost just a dollar or that it was on sale. Even if we don't purchase it for ourselves, we purchase it for a family member or a friend, or just in case.

Much of all purchases are related to exposure and impulse buys. And impulse buys are greatly affected by price. Most people buy $1 candy bar on impulse not a $50,000 BMW.

Plus a $1-$5 prop is less initimidating for a new haunter than buying a prop costing $20 to $100 +. Low cost props are like the gateway drug for this very addicting holiday. Most of us started by buying a $10 tombstone or a $4 bag of webbing.
Well, frankly, if it were a case of people literally not having the money for a few Halloween purchases, then they wouldn't be able to make the Xmas purchases either. Right?

Majority-wise the *preference* is to spend time (and money) on Xmas. If they literally didn't have $6 for a foam tombstone in October, it's unlikely that those $800 would suddenly materialize between November and December (especially since Xmas bonuses are becoming a thing of the past for many, many companies).

You said it yourself: A lot of us got started with $10 purchases. But we found those $10. Right? Why? Because that's how interested we were, and are, in this particular holiday.

I can't see blaming high-cost props for people not spending on H'ween. They sure put the nickels together to buy high-cost Xmas props instead. And lighting, and food, and putting together parties, and buying gifts...etc.

It can *never* be a "Halloween v. Christmas" thing because Christmas is just waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the pack when it comes to basically *any* holiday...H'ween included. People who are interested in H'ween will, like you did and like I did and like tons of people here did, find a way to either purchase stuff, or will figure out how to make stuff for the holiday. I just can't see blaming high prices for people not buying for H'ween. I've seen people drop $20 on one 8-inch "Christmas" flameless candle off QVC or HSN because they "had to" have it. Trust me. It's not a case of $20 here or there or even $50 here or there...or we would not be spending $800+ per household for Christmas. ;)

I don't see H'ween as ever really being as big, money-making-wise, as Christmas. Half the fun of H'ween is making things yourself. I do feel that figures in huge when it comes to this holiday and those who love it. Yes, we do sometimes buy something "just because" it's $1. But again: If I saw a pack of Valentine's Day cards for "just" $1 I wouldn't buy them because of that. Because the fact is, attached to that cheap purchase is the hassle of writing the cards out...sending them...yuck.

Why on earth would a person who has no interest in H'ween buy a jointed scarecrow for $.50 just because it was $.50, then not put it up because (again) the person just does not like H'ween? I can see if it were something you might really use for that $1.00 or those $.50. Playtex kitchen gloves on sale or something.

People are projected to spend $10 more this H'ween than last time. So now suddenly people *do* have that money...I mean which is it? You know? We don't have enough, or we do? The answer is, people will spend $10 more on H'ween because that's a drop in the bucket...conversely, they will try to spend LESS than the $800 they spent last year on Christmas because that's six weeks worth of groceries. As for props being expensive, they definitely are. But any given store I go into (besides one that focuses heavily on props to begin with) has the way cheaper items at the forefront, not the props. Not everyone even considers props or animatronics for their H'ween setups, of those who do a setup. I personally have no interest in animatronics. Anyone can get a foam tombstone for $6, a package of little party favors for TOT bags for $1.00, a cheapo costume for $10 or $15, or one costume accessory or some makeup or black nailpolish or pair of ears or something for probably a dollar or two.

I wouldn't judge H'ween's popularity so much on merchandising the way we can for Christmas or some other holidays. As I said, it's largely a self-made holiday, lots of do-it-yourself, and some things are hard to gauge, like for instance candy sales...how much of those are just for our own munchies and how much specifically for H'ween (unless they're H'ween novelty candies)...you know? And the tradition for H'ween costumes has often been to make at least part of it oneself. I'm going to be a gypsy this year, but a lot of my stuff I didn't have to buy specifically for H'ween. I already had a very long skirt. I already had a peasant blouse. I want to buy some cheap hoop earrings. I have black slippers I'm going to wear. By contrast, if I want to go as an elf for a Christmas party, I'm way more likely to just buy the whole thing.

Hope this makes sense. Bottom line: I wouldn't get excited OR worried over fluctuations in H'ween spending, and I would NEVER compare it to Xmas spending as a gauge of people's interest. It just doesn't work the same way, spending-wise, as Christmas does.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts