Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm finally getting into something I've wanted to do since childhood; a Halloween village display! :D

I remember as a kid visiting the local stores and seeing huge Dept 56 displays, and while they haven't done that around here (Augusta, GA) for probably ten years, I still remember them fondly.

Last year I was able to pick up my first piece; Dreadful Manor (Lemax) and I was thrilled!

The other day at Michaels I picked up my second: Forlorn Cemetary and I have intentions of getting Gothic Ruins and Rest in Pieces Mausoleum (all from Lemax) when pay day rolls around again.

I'm looking at having a simple display; the house as a centerpiece with a graveyard/cemetery in the background. I'm currently looking at accessories to pick up (fences, trees, tombstones, ect)

I have two questions for those of you who've been doing this much longer than me:

1. Advice, tips and pictures of your displays would be great! (tried to do a forum search, but keeps getting hung up)

2. How well does Lemax and Dept 56 mix? I haven't seen any Dept 56 stuff in person in many, many years. However, they have many nice accessories that I'd like to add to my display (tombstones, fences, trees, ect) but I don't want the scale to be out of whack. (Or for it to just look out of place.)

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Sorry..can't help you with the display but ...Hooray!!! someone from Augusta!!!!

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Yah...well I'm actually out in Groovy town..but it's nice to see someone local. I have seen a thread somewhere on here of a few people that like doing the villages.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I too started with just a few and let me tell you it is quite addicting LOL!! The older Lemax pieces seem to be of better quality than this years but I love the new stuff too. Try searching Halloween Village on youtube alot of good ideas on there.. Here just an example YouTube - Department 56 Halloween Village 2007

Also a good place to order from is ehobbytools.com..Free shipping if you spen a certain amount and great customer service. The other site is lemaxspookytown.com.. They have a link on there with peoples pictures of their displays. I was just thinking about putting up mine today, but I resisted. Just doesnt feel right when its 80 degrees yet here.

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
I have many Lemax pieces; I find they're much more affordable, and creepier, than Dept. 56. I tend to just display mine on available surface space in the house (top of TV cabinet, roll top desk, etc.) so I don't do a 'village'. All of the Lemax pieces mix really well together as far as scale goes, it just depends on the theme. Do a search of "Lemax Spooky Town" and you'll get a bunch of threads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooh, I didn't even think about youtube. Duh! In reference to the first video, does anyone have an idea which piece the big white Victorian house with the blinking lights is?

·
Registered
340 Posts
purpleferrets3 do you, by chance, know where to get the fountain that was in the youtube halloween village display you posted? That was to die for!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
purpleferrets3 do you, by chance, know where to get the fountain that was in the youtube halloween village display you posted? That was to die for!!
I did a search and found it here its a Lemax piece. I think it is meant for the christmas village they have (which I also collect LOL!!) Its 39.99 but you might be able to find it somewhere cheaper. www.lemaxvillages.com/catalog/14663_thumb.jpg

Heres better link the other one is small Lemax Christmas Accessory: Lighted Village Square Fountain with Adapter

They also have this little tiny one Lemax Spooky Town Accessory: Creepy Fountain

·
Registered
634 Posts
There is a wonderful Lemax villaging forum that has a lot of tips and tricks and many members always willing to help. We talk about all brands of villages, like Lemax, Hawthorne Village, Department 56, etc. We also usually have the latest Michaels discount coupons too. You may want to register so that you can check them out. As soon as you respond to the welcome email sent by the site Administrator, then you will become a member and be able to view and post. You may like to heck it out. The response to the welcome email is necessarily to prevent any spammers. If you have any questions, just send me a message at anytime.

Dedicated To Lemax Forum

1 - 16 of 16 Posts