Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Devil In Disguise
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are your have to watch movies, specials, TV shows for around or on Halloween??? What do you absolutely, positively have to watch in order for it “feel” like Halloween for you???

For me…

It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Garfield’s Halloween Adventure
The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow segment from The Adventures of Ichabod And Mr. Toad
King Of The Hill - Hilloween episode
Simpsons - Tree House Of Horror episode
Are You Afraid Of The Dark? - Tale Of The Twisted Claw episode
Adventures Of Pete And Pete - Halloweenie episode
Spongebob Squarepants - Scaredy Pants episode
Dracula (1931)
The Wolf Man (1941)
House On Haunted Hill (1959)
Night Of The Demon
Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Halloween (1978)
The Fog (1980)
Sleepy Hollow
Hocus Pocus
Monsters Crash The Pajama Party Spook Show Spectacular - Not really a movie or TV special but a amazing DVD with a ton of cool Spook Show/Halloween ads and clips. Really a must for any Halloween fan!

I really had to fight the urge to list about 100 other things but I’m really trying to keep this just to the pure essentials.

I also wrote a little bit about each of the things I chose but I thought it was too long to post so I’ll post that in a blog for everyone later. It’ll be my first blog of any kind so I’d love it if you guys checked it out and left a comment.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll have to list a few of the ones you already did, since you hit so many!

Any Halloween (I prefer 2, 4, and 5, i've seen 1 so many times)

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes

Night of the Living Dead, but any of them will do (dawn of the dead, return of the living dead, etc) I prefer the originals but the remake of Night of the Living Dead is also quite good.

Any of the "classic" Universal monster movies along with other oldies like Dr. Jeckyll and Mr Hyde, Phantom of the Opera, etc.

Since i canceled my cable and don't have a converter box i will have to stick with rentals, which kind of sucks because usually in October i'd fill up my DVR with tons of movies to watch until xmas!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My only one is Charlie Brown. I had not heard of a lot on your list. Sounds like things I should have playing on our big screen as background during our party. I am not into horror movies (except the classics), but the tv special sound great. And after I think about it, I can not believe Hocus Pocus is not in our collection of 500+ DVDs.

·
Devil In Disguise
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to list a few of the ones you already did, since you hit so many!

Any Halloween (I prefer 2, 4, and 5, i've seen 1 so many times)

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes

Night of the Living Dead, but any of them will do (dawn of the dead, return of the living dead, etc) I prefer the originals but the remake of Night of the Living Dead is also quite good.

Any of the "classic" Universal monster movies along with other oldies like Dr. Jeckyll and Mr Hyde, Phantom of the Opera, etc.

Since i canceled my cable and don't have a converter box i will have to stick with rentals, which kind of sucks because usually in October i'd fill up my DVR with tons of movies to watch until xmas!
Reading your post it reminded me that I forgot to list Night Of The Living Dead. I knew I would forget something. :rolleyes: I like Dawn but I like Day much more. Return Of The Living Dead is an all time favorite of mine as well.

I have seen the first Halloween a million time but I never tire of it. I like two okay but I really like the third one much more. Seems like most people don't dig that one but I really like it. I wish they had went with John Carpenter original idea of doing a different story for each movie. I love Michael Myers but I think it's much scarier if we never see what happens to Michael after the end of the first film.

·
Devil In Disguise
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only one is Charlie Brown. I had not heard of a lot on your list. Sounds like things I should have playing on our big screen as background during our party. I am not into horror movies (except the classics), but the tv special sound great. And after I think about it, I can not believe Hocus Pocus is not in our collection of 500+ DVDs.
I love horror films from all eras but the Classic era of the 30’s and 40’s is really a favorite time period.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hmm there's soo many...I might have to add more later lol

-Halloween (1,2,3,4,H20)
-The Hollow
-Halloweentown
-Hocus Pocus
-When Good Ghouls Go Bad
-Pumpkinhead
-Return of The Living Dead
-The Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It
-Goosebump Episodes
-Are You Afraid Of The Dark ? Episodes
-Night of The Demons
-Supernatural Episodes
-Don't Look Under The Bed
-Phantom of The Megaplex
-Mom's Got A Date With A Vampire
-Hey Arnold (Headless Cabbie, Arnold's Halloween, Four-Eyed Jack, Ghost Train)

so many more lol i'll have to update the list later

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thats a good list! I will have to sit down and watch Charlie Brown with my daughter this year. Beyond that, I usually bump every single horror movie on my netflix list to the top in october. I then inform my wife that she is going to probably want to spend some time scrap booking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
All Halloween episodes of Home Improvement and Roseanne because those were the shows that started it all for sitcoms having Halloween episodes and it was in the early 90s when I was a kid so they really bring back the memories and make it feel like Halloween for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, since everyone mentioned so many great ones I don't know what to add! I love Silent Hill, 1408, The Evil Dead Trilogy, and more and more and more!

ntokheim, you are dead on! I just watched 5 Roseanne Halloween episodes on Youtube a couple days ago!

-Scott
Haunter's Headquarters

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
All Halloween episodes of Home Improvement and Roseanne because those were the shows that started it all for sitcoms having Halloween episodes and it was in the early 90s when I was a kid so they really bring back the memories and make it feel like Halloween for me.
Oh yeah, I was going to mention Roseanne too. I have a collection of all the halloween episodes!
Don't really have much time to watch movies around halloween. Too busy with props and party decorations. But when I do watch a movie, its usually a classic or psychological thriller. Blood and gore isn't my thing.

MsM

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any Halloween (yes, even part 3), Any Disney Halloween movies (Halloweentown, Mom's got a date with a vampire..etc.), Fright Night 1 & 2, Any Halloween oriented programs on A & E or History Channel, Hocus Pocus, The witches and many many more too numerous to list!

·
Registered
139 Posts
OMG! I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only adult who loves the disney/kids Halloween movies! Also, something that's not really Halloween, but still pretty creepy, The Brothers Grimm. Great movie!

Hocus Pocus and The Witches are probably my fav Halloween movies. Though I love watching anything Halloween related and be just as happy! :p

·
Devil In Disguise
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any Halloween (yes, even part 3), Any Disney Halloween movies (Halloweentown, Mom's got a date with a vampire..etc.), Fright Night 1 & 2, Any Halloween oriented programs on A & E or History Channel, Hocus Pocus, The witches and many many more too numerous to list!
I'll take Halloween part three over any of the other sequels any day of the week.;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Around Halloween I also watch Are you afraid of the Dark's "Twisted Claw", as well as "The tale of the Midnight Ride" (the sleepy hollow one).
The "Attack of the Jack o Lanterns" Goosebumps episode...because who wouldn't want to trick or treat forever?
Tales from the Crpyt eps
The Halloween Tree
Hocus Pocus
Frighteners
Sleepy Hollow (both the Disney cartoon one and Tim Burton's movie)
Any of the zombie movies that I own
Ghostbusters (both the movies and the show)
Beetlejuice
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Nightmare Before Christmas used to be one of my all time favorites but like ten years ago I just got kind of sick of it lol.
So yeah, there are probably more I just can't think of any right now lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I love your list Mr. Scratch! I 'm going to have to find Monsters Crash the Pajama Party... that sounds awesome. I always have to watch The Halloween Tree, and anything that comes on TCM in October. I have the boxed set of Val Lewton films. (Cat People, I Walked With A Zombie etc.) We always watch those.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I won't mention any already listed but I would add:
Signs
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original Version), of course being from Texas (Why can't that girl use a door?)
Phantasm (Original version)
Any MST3K horror movie

·
Registered
803 Posts
Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Nightmare Before Christmas
Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton's version....reminds me of those old Chris Lee movies I love so much!)
Halloween (original)
Simpsons Treehouse of Horror Specials....any of them!
Christine (not particularly halloweenish, but I just love that bad ass car!)
Donnie Darko
And any of the classic Vincent Price movies I can catch on cable...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts