Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our neighborhood has been targeted by car prowlers since late last year, and now they- or another group- have incorporated Halloween vandalism, mostly stealing pumpkins off porches (and driving them a couple miles away to smash them :S), but also messing with people's props- so far, no reports of thefts, but several complaints of things being messed with, moved around, etc.

Sadly, we were not immune, although I have to confess a certain admiration of their efforts- we have a ghoul hanging from our gutter, accessible only via ladder; I noticed yesterday that the ghoul had been reversed, facing the house instead of the yard, and the foam chain in his right hand was now in his left. The walls of the garage are covered in Scene Setters (VERY liable to damage/pulling away at the merest movement), yet they were still in place and undamaged. None of our foam or resin tombstones were damaged, the plastic fencing was fine...just the ghoul had been 'adjusted.'

View attachment 570761

Don't get me wrong- it's irritating that someone came up to the house and messed with our decorations, but I have to shake my head at the amount of effort required to carefully unhook the ghoul from the chain, reverse it, re-attach the chain, and make their escape. Lots of effort for a fairly innocuous prank.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,671 Posts
As far as a prank, that would still upset me because the whole "they came into my yard and handled MY stuff" feeling of violation, but at least they didn't damage anything.

I get myself worried every year about someone stealing or breaking things in my yard, but I've been really lucky and only had a column on my fencing accidentally broken off and whomever did it tucked it at the bottom so I was able to reattach. I figure they didn't realize it was foam and felt bad about it.

I think I'd stop decorating completely if anyone stole or destroyed my display. It would break my heart!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I believe the fence around the yard discourages people from entering since they only have one way in and out. I have more damage from hurricanes than vandals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hmmm. Well, maybe they had a 10 foot pole or a tree pruner or something. Idk really but at least they didn't destroy anything. I think I'd be on a rampage if someone came into my yard and actually damaged something on purpose! Granted most of our stuff is store bought and accumulated over the years but we're starting to incorporate some used 'professional grade' latex displays that while a fraction of retail price, are still far from a disposable price. Also this year, I've taken the plunge and started making some props myself and these next couple years should see the number of lifesize props and animated props increase dramatically from the couple dozen we already have. To be honest, we've been luck with our choices and have some really nice pieces that couldn't be easily replaced. If the 4 legged alarm system wasn't here, I think I'd have already put up security cameras and more fencing than we currently have. I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to our displays but I'd also be a man on a mission to find out who did it as well.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If some people put as much effort into good works as they do into vandalism and antisocial behaviour think how much better the world would be.

When I was a ranger in a small country park someone spent a lot of time and effort moving/rolling a VERY large rock down the hill. It would have taken two or three to do it manually as there was no vehicle access.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Our neighborhood has been targeted by car prowlers since late last year, and now they- or another group- have incorporated Halloween vandalism, mostly stealing pumpkins off porches (and driving them a couple miles away to smash them :S), but also messing with people's props- so far, no reports of thefts, but several complaints of things being messed with, moved around, etc.

Sadly, we were not immune, although I have to confess a certain admiration of their efforts- we have a ghoul hanging from our gutter, accessible only via ladder; I noticed yesterday that the ghoul had been reversed, facing the house instead of the yard, and the foam chain in his right hand was now in his left. The walls of the garage are covered in Scene Setters (VERY liable to damage/pulling away at the merest movement), yet they were still in place and undamaged. None of our foam or resin tombstones were damaged, the plastic fencing was fine...just the ghoul had been 'adjusted.'

View attachment 570761

Don't get me wrong- it's irritating that someone came up to the house and messed with our decorations, but I have to shake my head at the amount of effort required to carefully unhook the ghoul from the chain, reverse it, re-attach the chain, and make their escape. Lots of effort for a fairly innocuous prank.
Is it possible that the wind could have done that? Something lightweight like that...That seems much more plausible than the prank you described.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well here it is......the nitemare I have until Halloween is over. I haven't had anyone vandalizing my display yet. We did have an attempted home invasion a few years back so I worry about my display and burglary. I thought about cameras but dont have wireless internet to run them😥😣 Its terrible we have to worry about this. Hopefully no one else 's display gets vandalized or stolen !!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
We have a huge front yard garden & I deal with BS all the time so we installed a wireless system called Arlo. It runs off the house WiFi. We also installed a “Ring” doorbell. Once vandals/thieves see the cameras they go away.
I don’t know why people feel entitled to steal or vandalize. The cameras have given me back my peace of mind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was actually my first thought, but if you look at the pic, the ghoul has the chain in his left hand- now that he's facing the garage, the chain is in his right hand. Plus, I had to wiggle the chain over the fingers to make sure it didn't slip off- the same was done to the right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny you should mention the Ring doorbell cams- the neighborhood has quite a collection of pics and vids of people stealing from their porches, all caught on the doorbell cams...including one epic video of a car pulling up, a man getting out, walking to the door and stealing the doorbell cam. They don't seem to be a deterrent at all. I know there are some which sound an alarm outside, I'm looking into that.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Funny you should mention the Ring doorbell cams- the neighborhood has quite a collection of pics and vids of people stealing from their porches, all caught on the doorbell cams...including one epic video of a car pulling up, a man getting out, walking to the door and stealing the doorbell cam. They don't seem to be a deterrent at all. I know there are some which sound an alarm outside, I'm looking into that.
Ring does a lot more then stop theft. It allows us to tell politicians to go away with out answering the door.
Just a few weeks ago 2 sheriffs came to our door to serve a Warrent for a man named: Miles. We told the sheriffs no one by that name lived at our address. The police didn’t believe us & asked us what our address was. As it turned out - not only did they have the wrong house.... the address they gave doesn’t exist. This was all recorded on our ring.
Btw-Ring replaces your doorbell if it gets stolen.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If that happened to me , it's only my opinion, but I would think more prank then vandalism, especially with my friends and co-workers.
Last night I was driving on a street 3-4 blocks away and there was a house with a blow molded lighted pumpkin and I thought, "what if I took one of my extras and a 3 way splitter and added a lighted pumpkin to their, yard. If I had known them I would have done it, but, the thought of being caught "ADDING a Pumpkin" and trying to explain, that though I was trespassing, I meant no harm!
I have had items disappear during October, from my yard. I now have items on the outside of my cemetery fence, as easy pickings. And yes those have disappeared, which created mixed feelings.

Jerseyscare

1 - 13 of 13 Posts