Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well......we were just wondering, what every one does for Security at Halloween time, in order to Protect all of your Outdoor Decorations?
We have a really Large, Halloween Display that we have been doing for years now...and as you know.....it just keeps Growing year after year.
But......even with our Fences and our Lights......we are seriously thinking about.....Boycotting Halloween this year, just due to Vandals and Thieves.
We LOVE Halloween and making it FUN for all the Little Kids and us BIG Kids......and making Life Long Memories.......for all the children, that come to see our Spooky Haunt.
But......we were Hit last year ( at Christmas Time.....with our Christmas Display ) and I am still BOILING MAD!
To the point that I am just thinking SCREW IT ALL, for this year, at least!
What with Halloween falling on a Saturday Night......I am sure.....that more Vandals will be out this year.....to wreck it....for everyone else.
We feel Sick....that we are planning on not even being home, this Halloween.......but.....it is our way of saying .....F#&K you to anyone that Steals or Vandalizes a Heart Felt Display!
We had some Air Blown Giant Snow Men SLASHED last Christmas.......at 2:00 AM ......and like I say.....I am ...still ....BOILING MAD and ANGRY!
So......does anyone have any suggestions as to how to PROTECT our Displays?
I am thinking.....that if I do.......put up our Display.......that I will Bobby Trap it....for anyone that is wanting to Steal or Vandalize anything.
I just can not see....putting in all of that work.......to just have a few Idiots......destroy it for all.
Hey....we all did things as kids...and we regret it all now........and just may be......this is the Big Guys Way......of Showing us all......What......having Teenage Harmless Fun ( In their minds ) really does to effect people's Lives.
We are seriously thinking....about saying Bah Humbug to Halloween and to Christmas this year.
Any suggestions or any words of encouragement and support or advice......to make us change our minds.
Not putting up our display......punishes everyone.....including ourselves!
What do you think and suggest?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Do you have the budget to purchase a video surveillance system? I know they can be had for a reasonable price, and still have a good number of cameras with good quality video.

Just letting people know they're on camera usually stops most misbehavior.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes......we thought about it.....but....I am not much of a Techie ( or a Speller? LOL) sooooo.....was not really sure, if.....a Camera would be the way to go?
I'd LOVE to be able to "record" anyone...that entered or Vandalized our Display.
I was thinking that......Vigilantly Justice ....might be more FUN ( for me that is! ). lol
That or an Electric Fence .......they are not to pricey on Ebay....for a Low Voltage one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes......we thought about it.....but....I am not much of a Techie ( or a Speller? LOL) sooooo.....was not really sure, if.....a Camera would be the way to go?
I'd LOVE to be able to "record" anyone...that entered or Vandalized our Display.
I was thinking that......Vigilantly Justice ....might be more FUN ( for me that is! ). lol
That or an Electric Fence .......they are not to pricey on Ebay....for a Low Voltage one.
Before you go that way, A) Check your local laws - you may find they're illegal where you are, and B) think about collateral damage. I'd be worried about some random 3 year old getting excited and running up to a prop and getting hurt. Yes shocking some would be thief or vandal might be satisfying, not going to lie, but you risk shocking those who don't have ill intent too.

The most common way people use to safeguard their haunt is those two peice noise alarms. trip them and it sounds a deafening alarm that calls attention to the theft/vandalism. The other way is cameras. One single camera isn't as good as cameras from multiple angles, particularly if you can get a good angle on license plates of people stopping at your place. Another is prevention - slowly roll out the items, leaving the expensive or difficult to replace items out for a minimal length of time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are absolutely right.
Yes.....in spite of the fact, that there are some 3 year olds, that do deserve to be Electrocuted ( or more so...their Parents! lol) but..all kidding aside...that would never happen, in our situation.
Our entire display is Fenced in....with a 3 1/2 ft.....Ghostly looking Sturdy Picket Fence.....it is High enough to keep out most people.....but....Thieves will always find a way in.....regardless of how High, it might be .
We were originally going to make it 4' high.....but...the extra height ....would just take away from the display.
So......if....we ever did install a Low Voltage fence....it would be within the Fenced In "Grave Yard".
We hang a lot of our Ghosts and Skulls with Invisible 50 IBL Test Line......I was thinking about ......stringing up some Ankle Height Trip Wires....through out our Display....just to make things, that much more Frustrating..... to get to our coffins and Tombstones.
Fences make for good neighbours, but they do nothing to keep the Thieves and Teenagers out.

·
black light queen
2,606 Posts
a word of caution ...

if someone gets hurt by one of your "traps" then, even though they were vandalizing your possessions ... you're legally responsible for their injuries ...

i don't know about where you live ... but say, for example, your neighbor, threw a bomb over your fence ... and you threw it back over ... a reasonable thing to do, right? and it exploded and maimed them ... unfortunately, in some/most jurisdictions, you'd be responsible ...

i'm thinking that a video security system would be less expensive than your lawyers' fees

personally, i have 3 independent wired video recording systems, with ups battery backup and numerous wireless cameras that'll take pictures and email them to me ... unfortunately, i've been broken into and robbed ... lost significantly over $10,000 but under $100,000 worth of stuff ... was i pissed off? heck, yes, but you have to realize that nothing you do will stop someone from doing something to you if they really wanted to ... remember, if you can't control something, don't worry about it ... don't waste energy on things that you cannot control ...

so, far, no one has vandalized my halloween ... i don't worry about it because i can't control it ... i'm thinking that i've been "lucky" because i try to be nice to everyone because i realize that if i piss someone off they'll likely retaliate ... i'm specifically referring to teen age kids ... they're likely the ones that'll tear up my stuff ... if a teenager shows up looking for candy on halloween, i'll give them the same candy, trinkets and stuff that i give to everyone else ... even if they're not in a costume ... and too old to be trick-or-treating ... i look at it as cheap insurance ...

ok, rant is over, sorry for that everyone :)

amk

amk

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Was your xmas display behind a fence? I'm guessing NO and that is why it was an easier target. I have the driveway alarms that alert you when someone is tresspassing. It gives you plenty of notice to catch them if you want to take them out yourself :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our Christmas display was behind a smaller white picket fence, but.....you have hit the nail on the head....as....our Christmas fence, was not built as a Security deterrent, it was placed around the Huge Inflatable Snowman Family, more as a decoration.
I was mad at myself, at the time.....as our Christmas fence.....was pretty much Flush, with the front of the Snowmen.
Anyone could just reach over.....and have access to our Display.....which they did.
Where as.....our much Beefier..... and our much Larger ....Halloween Grave Yard picket fence......is definitely placed.....for Security measures first.....and it of course.....greatly enhances our Display.
All of our Tombstones and Coffins and Ghouls.....are all placed at least 4 feet back from the fence itself, so ..it is not as if....you can just reach over the fence, and grab what ever you want.
Knock on wood......in the past 5 years of doing our major Halloween display, we have not had any problems to date......with Vandals.
It was our Christmas display incident, that has soured us.....on what can happen and does.
An awful lot of Halloween and Christmas displays were Hit last year, in our area and on the outskirts......and we are just looking for various ways, to prevent it, as much as possible.......BEFORE.....it happens again.
We all put a lot of time and effort and energy and MONEY into our Displays......and it is really disappointing to have a Few......Wreck it for the little kids and the Bigger Kids, who all look forward to seeing something, that will make Halloween a very Special night for their own little kids.
I do appreciate all of the Semi - Legal advice....when it comes to Maiming ,Dismembering, or Disfiguring anyone..... who jumps our Fence, to vandalize our Halloween display. lol
We happen to live in Western Canada, and up here......"COMMON SENSE" still prevails ( some what) .
If.....someone breaks into your own home or into your Private Property, for the purpose of Vandalizing or Stealing private and personal property......any injuries that the Vandals might receive during that Crime or Bi Law infraction.....is all on them, of their own free doing.
Having some Crook "Break In".....to your home......for the purpose of Stealing and Robing your personal belongings.....and then ....he Trips and breaks his leg, during the process..... LOL.....Seriously.....what Court in the land.....is ever going to offer this Crook, any compensation for his Injuries???? LOL
That kind of stuff.....just does not happen up here!
Like seriously........what Court system.....with any thread of common sense, would ever.... entertain such a claim for injuries ( Said with eyes rolling )? LOL
PRIVATE PROPERTY....is just that!
Once someone enters your Private Property, with the intentions of committing an Unlawful act.....All Bets are Off!
IF.....that was the case.....EVERY Crook.....would be deliberately Injuring themselves......during the act of each and every crime.
If...they get caught....at least they can get a bit of money from their injury claim, to put towards their legal defence. lol
No......that just does not ever take place, in Canada.
Our Court system would be Bogged down......if......we sued everyone and anyone for anything....as is done, in the States.
On the other hand......our court system is sooooo lenient and lacks any balls.....that even if you catch the Vandals on Camera.....Nothing is ever going to happen to the Crooks or Thieves.
Do you really think, that our courts or the law....is really going to care....about some Tombstones being stolen or some Coffins being taken??
Vandalizing things......kind of goes hand in hand........and is expected by most, on Halloween night.
We all did things, as kids or as teenagers.....that we are so up in arms about NOW.....as Adults. lol
Yes.......you are right.......you can not live in fear of having stuff taken or broken.......but.......we can do everything in our power......to limit it....as much as possible.
There in, lies the point of my post.
I was wondering.......what everyone does.....to Limit their losses?
I was wondering.....what everyone does......to secure and protect, their Hand Made decorations...that they spend Weeks and Months.....building for that one Special night?
Do the alarms really work?
I was thinking about putting in some Motion Detection Lights......around our Display......that we activate.....once we head to bed?
Back when we were Kids, Skiing up at Whistler Mountain......the Big thing was.....having the Ski Shops, engrave our names into our Ski's along with our phone numbers.....as THEFT of Expensive Ski equipment was Big....back then....and still is!
The only thing, that the engraved skis did was.......it gave the Thieves the opportunity to phone us....to Thank us, for their New Ski's! LOL
True Story!
So......Camera's ....and Lights and Alarms........do not Prevent.....the Vandals from entering your Property.....we are looking for a way....to just Keep them out.....or to make Theft.....that much more difficult to do.
Security Fences ( That look Ghoulish ) .......Securing the Coffins and Tombstones down with High Strength Wire or Lines?.......or.....once over the Fence....and into the actual Display......we need to find ways...... to make it difficult to move around amongst the Display ( Trip Lines? ).
I can always Fix....what ever they Break.....but.....it is the Stealing.....that I want to Prevent....if....Possible?
Once again.....I appreciate the Legal Advice ....in regards to Murdering or the Maiming of the Trespassers. lol
That is definitely not my intention ( Well.....it is a legitimate Thought thou! ).
We are the ONLY such Display in our area, for Miles around us.....we hand out....."FULL SIZE" Chocolate Bars.....to "EVERYONE" regardless of age or Height or lack of a costume!
WHO....these days......hands out....."FULL SIZE" Chocolate Bars......not....very many, that we have ever heard of ( In our area, that is ) .
We are above and beyond being Nice....to everyone.....so.....being Hard ***'s.....is definitely not us! lol
Our Christmas display was not Vandalized by some local kids.....it was done, by some teenagers, driving by ....Late at night or early in the morning....after a night of Partying, on a Saturday night.
They saw the display in passing......and stopped up the road a ways......to walk back to see.....if they could take the Snowmen home with them.
Well......the Snowmen were all tied down......and when their Kidnapping was not successful.....they just kept pulling on it....till they Ripped it's face off.
It all took just about 2 - 3 minutes...at most...and they were gone!
No time to catch them or maim them or disfigure them......and their car was far enough away....that No Camera is going to pick anything up.
So.......Keeping them out.....is the Trick.
Besides our Fencing......does anyone have any other suggestions for Securing our Halloween Display?
I am sure, that others have some experience in Protecting their Displays?
I'm presently leaning towards random Public Floggings..of some of the neighbourhood kids, to use as an example, for any perspective Trespassers, to see. lol
I'll hold off with that idea, until I hear a few more suggestions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 185 lb mastiff that looks like he would rip your face off( he is a big mush) - like big teddy bear- shhhhhh don't tell anyone- lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL......My Mother In Law, is about the same size...with that same vicious look on her face.
I think.....that I will pass on using your Mastiff, and just use the Mother In Law instead.
She doesn't require me to walk her 3 times per day, or to rub her belly.... or even pick up after her, in the park ( Thank God, for that!).
I just need to find way, to get her to Stay in the Grave Yard, if we decide to put up our display.
She has a face, that would even scare off your Mastiff!
Thanks for the suggestion...but....we are covered.....when it comes, to having something that has, a Vicious look, a Loud Bark, and a Deadly Bite! lol

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
QUIT!!

That is the only advice I can give you. You will never get fully compensated nor will the culprit ever get appropriately punished so it sounds like you should get out.

If you catch some kid on camera damaging your stuff, you aren't getting that stuff back and the kid, if caught, may have to pick up trash along a busy street for a couple days.

·
Registered
822 Posts
We've upgraded to an LTS system with 2MP cameras. Works great and great protection

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
We use a multi-layer defensive system. :)

First, I drive a Ford Police Interceptor and it stays in the driveway, so most folks are certain there's a cop living in the house.

Second, we have two male 100lb+ German Shepherds and one 5lb+ Yorkshire Terrier. The thing many folks don't know is Yorkies were bred as basically alarm systems for troop movements. They were small, didn't eat much, have excellent vision and hearing, and alert on just about anything out of the norm. At our house the Yorkie is the alarm and the Shepherds are the response. :)

Third, we install Doberman window alarms in any prop we value at over $50. Our view is we would rather pick up a prop and reset it after a thief trips the alarm and drops it than stand around showing some bored cop a grainy video of someone no one can identify stealing our prop. What people pay for video systems buys a LOT of window alarms.

Fourth, most of our major props are built with mannequins. They are on their bases during the off season, but when they go out for Halloween we drive three-foot long sections of rebar into the ground, slide the mannequins onto the rebar, tighten down the screws that attach the mannequin to the rebar, and then remove the plastic wingnuts that are used to tighten the screws. This locks the mannequin to the rebar, and that rebar is a royal PITA to pull back out of the ground, especially with a mannequin attached to it.

We've never used cameras, but if I did I would just use them to cover the street, up and down, in front of the house. I don't need a video that shows someone stealing or damaging something. I just need to know what vehicle they got in and out of and at what time. That's information the cops can work with.

As for slashing inflatables... is that really a crime? :)

Reactions: Deadview

·
Registered
41 Posts
LOL......My Mother In Law, is about the same size...with that same vicious look on her face.
I think.....that I will pass on using your Mastiff, and just use the Mother In Law instead.
She doesn't require me to walk her 3 times per day, or to rub her belly.... or even pick up after her, in the park ( Thank God, for that!).
I just need to find way, to get her to Stay in the Grave Yard, if we decide to put up our display.
She has a face, that would even scare off your Mastiff!
Thanks for the suggestion...but....we are covered.....when it comes, to having something that has, a Vicious look, a Loud Bark, and a Deadly Bite! lol
- funniest thing I read all day! Nice

1 - 15 of 15 Posts