Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ever happened to Halloween TV? It seems like there is nothing on anymore save a couple "Sub-par" programs. Now of course there are the Sitcom Halloween specials which are always good for a fix but over all, they are gone.

It seems like "Halloween" on most channels has just turned to "Horror" (Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, A slue of Made-for-TV horror flicks on the Sci-Fi Channel. )

Turner Classic Movies, not too long ago, during the whole month of October would play all those old Black and White Classics, some poorly written, others kind of cheesy, but all distinctly Halloween. Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf man and creature from the Black Lagoon. Now, barely a show on their line up is Halloween-ish.

Hell, I wouldn't even mind coming home to find "Abbot and Costello VS. The Mummy" or "Billy the Kidd vs. Dracula" (awesome movie by the way haha). Animated Movies "The Legend of Sleepy Hallow" or "The Halloween Tree"

I don't know, I guess what I am getting at is its just kinda disappointing. I wish one of these networks would give me the wheel and a time-block. I'd fill it with all the classics and the movie I remember watching from a kid-to-adult that I enjoyed.

Is it so much to ask for a little "Ernest Scared Stupid" ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've noticed this year and maybe last it's like networks are late to get on the Halloween boat. It's rather sad, isn't it? Show us you care, networks!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
First let me say...

Cadaverino, the "This week on Halloween TV" thread?

THANK YOU. That's a lot of love and commitment, and we appreciate it.

HDAwesome, yeah, I agree. There was revival of nostalic old classics for Christmas here about a decade ago, and it led to some great old movies and cartoons coming back to the 500 channels of tv we have to watch.
Halloween is due for a similar revival.
I say contact the biggies ABC/Disney and Turner Broadcasting, and tell them you want all the old Halloween classic cartoons and specials shown.
Contact IFC and tell them horror, which flourishes in independent film, deserves more. Tell AMC and FX the same thing.
Have your friends send the same email.

BTW, have any of you checked out
Halloween Specials.net - Rescuing Halloween Cartoons from the Dustbin of History! ? This may be the most complete library of information on Halloween specials ever assembled. Go send the author some well wishes and watch the clips.

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Thanks for that link Spats.

I've been rummaging around youtube manually the past 2 halloween seasons looking for stuff to watch.

But this just make it so much easier, and there's a few on there i don't know but will definitely spend some down time getting to know.

That guy's done a good service.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is it so much to ask for a little "Ernest Scared Stupid" ?
LOL! I hear ya. I've been searching my direct TV with "Halloween, ghost, haunted" for days and barely anything comes up. Such a disappointment this year.

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
I thought the same thing but now you guys have confirmed it...thought I was just imagining things.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Totally agree!
How disappointing. It used to be so cool when you could come home and be guaranteed a fun movie to be on TV. Now you have to plan ahead to make sure you catch the one movie a day that plays on SyFy that's decent...
Boo....

·
Registered
116 Posts
I definatly agree, the Halloween programing is very small this year. Usually by this time the on demand channels, like HBO and Cinemax, have a good group of horror/Halloween movies to choose from. Cinemax usually has a whole section just for horror in October. But so far, nothing. I'm waiting for AMC to start having horror movies on all day, but I guess they're starting that up a little later this year. Travel Channel has a some new Halloween shows coming up though, which I'm looking forward to. And I'm assuming Food Network and other similair channels will be running there Halloween episodes soon. But I haven't seen many commercials pertaining to Halloween advertisment this year. *sigh* Hopefully by next week it will all be in full swing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Turner Classic Movies, not too long ago, during the whole month of October would play all those old Black and White Classics, some poorly written, others kind of cheesy, but all distinctly Halloween. Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf man and creature from the Black Lagoon. Now, barely a show on their line up is Halloween-ish.
In the case of TCM, they can't always swing the broadcasting rights to for a lot of those old Classic Universal b&w monster films. IIRC, another studio bought the rights to that portion of the Universal catalog and it's been unavailable since.

I'll have to post up another thread with the TCM highlights this year since they are doing a whole bunch of Karloff stuff on the 30th, Halloween night's theme is "Mad Scientists".

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yep, noticed that too.
Networks need to get off their lazy duffs. Cartoon network did have a bunch of Halloween programming lately.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
All I know is I miss the Monster channel on voom network in my cable offerings. Looking at voom homepage, it seems to be gone completely even from their lineup. It was the single best horror movie channel and I miss it big time. Great movies, no commercials. Cables replacement? Chiller channel- a terrible lineup of the worst old SI-FI series ever created by networks- with commercials no less. Horrid, and not in a good way. Oh well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I totally agree! It's like cable has forgotten what time of the year it is. When Christmas comes they can't start the 24 hour marathon of "A Christmas Story" fast enough. Where are "our" movies!!!!! I want to be scared!!!!!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I totally agree! It's like cable has forgotten what time of the year it is. When Christmas comes they can't start the 24 hour marathon of "A Christmas Story" fast enough. Where are "our" movies!!!!! I want to be scared!!!!!
Heh, Christmas Vacation was on last night on CMT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts