Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I wanna thank Cadaverino for his faithful listing of holiday oriented broadcasting. It's an invaluable resource in my home, and I'm quite certain a lot of us refered to his thread on the subject to see what's coming on this year.
It's a labor of love, and this fellow ghoul really appreciated it.
I hope it's a standard practice each year.

On that note, I'm really surprised at the lack of Halloween shows this year. Granted, we had the standard AMC frightfests and Turner Classic Movies selection, but things that should be just brimming with classics, like the Family Channel's 13 days of Halloween or Cartoon Network, were fairly void, filled with recent entries.
The reason I'm surprised is that it isn't the same thing with Christmas. A few years back, I recall side comments from people wishing that someone would show all the old Rankin-Bass cartoons, like "The Year Without a Santa Claus" or "Santa Claus is coming to Town".
Suddenly the television was brimming with old shows like that. I still miss the California Raisins, and it's hard to find "Twas the Night Before Christmas", but for the most part I can see a lot of the old specials of my childhood.

Not so with Halloween, the second largest holiday (financially and participation-wise) in the US.
So where is "The Halloween Tree", "Halloween is Grinch Night", "Mad Monster Party", "Witches Night Out", "The Farside Halloween"?
I'm sure you guys can think of some others.
Should we list the appropriate email addresses of certain broadcasters, like Turner, ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX and begin an email campaign throughout the year? Get two people to join you in emailing and see if we can't get thousands of request into these corporations?
Is there some a more appropriate and productive way to get these broadcasters attention aside from an email campaign?
Can we list some the shows we'd like to see in this thread and use it as a reference for composing emails?
I guess I'm asking the best course of action, and seeing if you guys would be interested in writing an email this year to these companies.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Every year I am shocked at the lack of Halloween shows or the way networks advertise regular shows as Halloween, when they have nothing at all to do with the holiday. It seems they do an "alright" job leading up to Halloween but on the particular night they have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I thought I was just working too much and MISSED them. But I guess there just weren't too many Halloween shows on this year.

My mom has Comcast On Demand and I was very surprised that except for a few lame old Martha Stewart How-to's and HGTV's years' old Halloween decorator episode... there was precious little to watch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe because I am in a different region than you being in north new jersey 10 mins away from manhattan, we go tons of halloween specials this year. ABC family, nickolodian (all 5 of their stations), travel channel, sci fi channel, history channel, bio channel, and a few other stations had a ton of halloween shows. I was watching them all week long, I love doing that. I also have verizon fios tv service so that might be the difference. If you have those stations I mentioned check them out next year because Tons of shows were on. If you dont get those lol I suggest getting verizon fios tv service if you can, because they have all the shows you want during halloween and christmas time.

·
Registered
337 Posts
13 Nights of Halloween sucked this year. What do the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1, 2 or 3) have to do with Halloween?
What about Scooby Do? Closer than TMNT, but still a miss.
Every night they would have one, I repeat one, show.
Pretty freaking lame.
Even the Travel Channel had more Halloween programing than the 13 Nights.
I fear we are doomed.

Finn

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It depends on what you mean by halloween show. Ture, there is no halloween tree or halloween grinch as far as I know. I'm fine with that. Those aren't my style, nor is halloween themed sitcoms. What turns me on and keeps my engines running through all the work is shows like extreme halloween, what's with that really haunted house, haunted america, etc. They are the types of shows I gravitate to and thrive on. I can't get enough of watching other peoples home haunts and pro haunts. I love to see what other folks are up to. And in that vain, there were plenty of shows to watch. The travel channel was excellent this year for that. And when I just wanted a horror flick, our cable provider has the monster channel- 24/7 movies. I thought the offering of my kinds of shows was great this year. But I was always missing them!! I did finally catch up, however.

Why is it my halloween spirit gets a good second wind after halloween? I HATE that. You can't do anything about it! LOL.

Dan

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
My family DID stumble upon "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown", and I do mean stumble. We have it on DVD, but it was nice to see a real broadcast.
I must admit, though, we don't watch as much TV as we should.

·
Registered
166 Posts
AMC has there usual fear fest but last year i was disappointed. Yes of course they played the great halloween movies but no friday the thirteenth or nightmare on elm street. I love all the halloween movies they can keep those and they better but how about a little more Freddy and Jason would be nice. that's just my thought.

·
Devil In Disguise
663 Posts
Last year I was pleased to see that Nicktoons started playing "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?" last Halloween, I hope they bring that back again. Also I enjoy the Cartoons networks revival of “Goosebumps.”

TCM always plays good stuff even if I have most of it on DVD already. It’s nice to see it on plus they always have a few rare gems, this year it’s “Black Moon.” AMC is void of anything exciting to me, if they do play something good they cut it to ribbons and cut in enough commercials to make you go crazy or they put it on at 3 A.M. to ensure nobody will see the only interesting thing they will play all season.

I would love to see stuff like “Disney’s Halloween Treat” get played again or “Disney’s Halloween Hall Of Fame” but I won’t hold my breath. I would also love to see the Tom and Jerry Halloween special they use to play on TBS in the late 80’s early 90’s. Anybody else remember that ? Or what about Will Vinton’s Halloween Special, Disney always played that when I was a kid, I haven’t seen that in ages.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I must agree, supernatural is an AWESOME show. ....but, last year was abit... lacking in Halloween stuff, I was rather disappointed. ...maybe we should go ahead and start mass emailing the corporations so they'll be prepared and do some good stuff? :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts