Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
This year I decided to start building a Halloween treat/toy dispenser. I had thought about it for some time. Even buying the arcade button over 14 years ago. But something always came up. Well this year I am going to do it. If you have any suggestions, even negative I would love to hear from you. Anything would help.

This is my plan.
I have a Raspberry pi. It will randomize 4 options that the toters can win. There will be 4 buttons for the kids to choose form. The main prize is a Halloween toy + candy. The buttons’ prizes will change for every toter. Other options are 2 candy bars, 2 pieces of other candy, both, and lastly a Halloween toy + one of the other two pieces of candy chosen at random. The candy and toys will be distributed from motors.

There will be a panel at my front door where the kids will get the candy. I have a few pictures of what I am up to now.

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
looks like you've got an excellent start!

keep updating with pics & videos ... i luv this stuff ... so far our haunt is static ... not counting the fog machines, laser vortex or the shower curtain "wind mobile" which spins from wind power

amk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like you've got an excellent start!

keep updating with pics & videos ... i luv this stuff ... so far our haunt is static ... not counting the fog machines, laser vortex or the shower curtain "wind mobile" which spins from wind power

amk
Ok, will do.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I would give you an update of what has been going on.

1) I had been researching ways that I could see and talk to everyone that comes up to the front door that gets a treat. I think I found about 1001 ways to go it. But most of them took a while to get done, and I really wanted something easy. I finally found on-line from ebay, go figure, a baby monitor. I got it for about 35 dollars. It came a few weeks ago. I know because the girlfriend was asking me if I was hinting. To which I said hell no. Too old for kids. Anyway, this baby monitor does it all. I can view everyone from my cell phone or computer from wifi. Which I thought was awesome. It also records video and photos, not to mention it has night vision. And if that wasn’t enough, it can turn up and down, right or left, controlled by my cell phone. And the kicker is I can hear everything that everyone is saying on the other side. And if I have to, I can talk back thru this baby monitor. I would have to say it does everything I wanted to do without making my Raspberry pi do it. Easy peezie, lemon sqeezy.
2) About 14 years ago I had bought arcade switches just to make this treat disturber system. But for the life of me I couldn’t get it working the way I wanted. With this Raspberry pi it does what I wanted it to do. Of course looking at the switches now, I don’t think I can use them. Reason being is all they say on them is 1 and 2. And I don’t think I could repaint them to say anything else. I did use them to test my program out, but I decided to get better ones. I found on-line a START Button and 4 different colored buttons. I just got the START button the other day. They seem to work but the internal lighting of the switches is 12vdc. So I will have to fix that. But they do work.
3) I have the main program working good. It is about 92% done with a few tweaks I need done. But for the most part it works well. What the main program does is randomize options for 4 buttons. There are three motors that have three separate treats. One being a toy. When one of the buttons is pressed, the pi checks to see what it picked for that button and then turns on the motors to give out that treat. I even have a double treat option. Also competed are the audio tracks that say you have won a toy etc, or what button was pressed etc. Some of the tracks need a little TLC, but I am getting there. OH, last minute I had to add a by-pass to the programming. Meaning, my girlfriend told me she would be very cross if a cute little 2 year old girl walked up the box and didn’t get a toy. So what I did was during the time where I am enabling the switches for the kids to press, I have made it so I can tell it to give the kid a toy even if they picked the wrong button. I decided it was easier than to do this than my girlfriend killing me when the little girl didn’t get a toy.

What am I doing now:

1) Even though the main program is 92% done, I have decided to make this into more of a video game than anything. So I have been experimenting with a video style card game. The idea is to show the TOTs where the toy was if they guessed wrong. I have some pics of the cards here that I have been making. Please give me your input.
2) The façade is a bit trickier. I have a pic of my front door. If you have any ideas please feel free. The goal is that I can open one of the windows on the door, and the motors will kick out the treat from the door window. I assume I will need a ramp or something for the treats to go down on.
3) I also have been messing with a program called JuiceSSH. This will be put on my phone to talk to the Pi. It will tell me everything that is going on. Including what they selected, what they won, also statics of % of winning the toy etc. Most people might worry about kids pushing buttons to get extra treats etc, but not the case with this. After the kids press the Start button, my phone will pop up and ask me to enable the select buttons. Until I do so, no treats will come out. And because I can see the kids at the front door, I will know if someone will try to get an extra treat.
Thank you for listening or just skipping and looking at just the pictures.(I would too) Any comments or suggestions please feel free to give me what you thing the façade should look like or should I change the look of the cards etc.

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/lovermonkey/media/Halloween%20treat%20dispenser/top_zpsqnquykwg.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://s7.photobucket.com/user/lovermonkey/media/Halloween%20treat%20dispenser/20160203_180731_zpsygfpmjdw.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/lovermonkey/Halloween%20treat%20dispenser/candydouble_zpsbu6d4btl.jpg

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Sounds like an awesome project. Can you post the ebay link to the camera you got? I see some for the price you mentioned that I think is the one you got but not sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like an awesome project. Can you post the ebay link to the camera you got? I see some for the price you mentioned that I think is the one you got but not sure. Thanks!
I am looking at it now. They show on ebay that it was removed. It says "This user is no longer registered on eBay." Oh great. Camera is probably hot. LOL But they had all these positive hits. Oh well. I guess to be a haunter you have to get good deals, and sometimes stolen items. LOL

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the photos I wanted to show you is of the video game part. I had trouble posting. I am hoping it shows now. This is of course a work In progress. It shows the 4 top parts of the 4 cards. Then it shows the buttons. Once someone picks a button, the card will flip and show what the card is. Then at the end all cards will show.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been making some progress on my treat dispenser. I have been intergrading the video section with the main program. Which is what controls the motors and switches etc. I have a video below that shows the video section only. Hard to get it all in right now since it is just all over the place and hard to get in the shot at the same time. There is audio but I didn’t have the audio section hooked up yet. But later I will let you listen. The only thing I did add was a PIR to the PI. What it does is looks for anyone in front of the box. Mainly to control the music or sound effects. The sounds effects are just audio tracks that ask the user to come up and press the button.
Let me explain what you are seeing. You will see two screens. The left is the monitor that will be out in the yard to show the kids what they have won and explain what is going on etc. The 2nd screen on the right is my 2nd computer that is connected to the network which talks to the pi. Mostly to get feedback on what is going on and allows me to control the action if need be. I won’t be using this computer, I will be using my phone instead. But to show you what is going on, I decided to use it as an example
The 1st thing that happened after I run the program is the screen goes black. At this time I can enter in how much candy I have and the Pi remembers that total, and then subtracts as that treat has been given out.
Ok, after the candy and toy totals are enter the program starts. The main asks the users to press the start button. You can't see it, but I pressed the start button to move to the 2nd screen.
After the start button is pressed, the 2nd screen comes on. Telling the TOTS to hold on as I hide the toy. Basically this is giving me time to press the enable button, in case I am not paying attention to who is at the door. Keep in mind that after each of these screens an audio message comes on explaining what is going on next and what they need to do.
After I enable the program to accept the user to press the button, the 3rd screen comes up. This shows the options the user has. There are 4 buttons that they have to choose from. Below are the top part of the Halloween playing cards. In this example I have pressed the red button, which is shown in the right screen and the button on the left darkens to show it was pressed. It then turns the card over to show what the user picked. This is when the motors kick out the toy or treat that they won. Afterwards, the Pi reveals all the cards and the program is restarted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts