Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in East Tennessee and things are looking bad for H-ween trick-or-treating. The weather is supposed to be cold and rainy and I'm not about to let my ToT catch a cold just for free candy. This hovever is not why I'm so upset.

I have been avoiding trunk-or-treats, fall festivals, and the like all week, hoping the weather will clear, but since I know now that it won't, we decided to hit the mall like every body else. Crowded yes but it will be warmer, out of the rain, and my youngest will still get the trick-or-treat experience.

We're eating dinner about 30 mins. ago and my 20year old calls me to ask where we're at. I tell her and she tells me that trick or treating at the mall is .....WAIT FOR IT......TONIGHT!!! And it's almost over.

From what I can piece together, so many people were upset about the weather that they decided to up trick-or-treating at the mall by a day.....how does this make any since what so ever. Now I have to find some place to visit or some place to go to fulfill my youngsters ToTing needs....I'm soooo over local government's screwing with what day to have ToTing community wide....Halloween in on October 31....period...leave it alone.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'd be really ticked too. I am so sorry!

Do you have a Plan B for Halloween at Home tomorrow night? Maybe you could invite your kids' friends over tomorrow, or the other parents might throw something together?

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Yikes. That is ridiculous! How about do what I have seen others do. Drive their car door to door

Reactions: Countess No

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If it is any consolation, I've been trick or treating in snow with my boys for every year except one for my oldests seven years! Just dress appropriately underneath the costume, and protect it with a clear dollar store rain poncho :) easy fix! Colds aren't caused by cold weather, they are caused by germs! Yeah, rain can put a damper on Halloween, but it should be no reason to stop completely! Have a nice cup of hot cocoa or cider when you get home...who knows...this could turn into the most memorable Halloween instead of the most miserable! All in how you approach it! Happy haunting!

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
The local college here had their Roo Boo for kids last night. Big night of trick or treating in the gym with games and candy from all the organizations and frats and sororities. Our neighboring town (we are called the Twin Cities) is having their Fright Fest tonight that is the city event. That is because the local football team has their last home game tomorrow and the field is across the street from the Municipal Building where the FF is held. Holding it inside is not an option because of the parking issue. Then our town is doing Monsters on Main our downtown merchants event tomorrow on Halloween. Our football stadium is just a few blocks away and we also have a home game. It is really crazy. They have in past years made announcements that trick or treating will be observed on Saturday nights when this happens. This year, everyone just did their own thing. I have been telling everyone all week. At least the kids can do all three event this year and still have time for TOTing since the Monsters on Main ends early.

I feel horrible because we are not going to be receiving TOTers. We will be going to my daughters for the weekend. I was down because several weeks ago I decided that we were not doing a party or my Be WITCHY party for numerous reasons. I have not even decorated inside or out and I have tons of new décor and props. I just have not been up to this and couldn't get it done. At this moment I am thankful to have backed out of this due to a family emergency. So, I am spreading the word to everyone listening to get their kids to all of these things!!!!!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
Nothing stops me. I went out a couple of years ago and carried my then 3 year old son under an umbrella in a heavy rain storm. No thunder and lightening, I'm not a moron, but just heavy rain. I hit the neighborhood that is most popular with TOT and carried him the entire time under an umbrella. My back was killing me by the time we filled his pumpkin bucket, but we made it and despite the torture I went through to get him through it, he had an awesome time and got lots of candy. Just gotta modify your plan and adapt to the conditions. Don't let the little ones get sick, but do what you can to salvage the holiday. Raincoats, umbrellas. and swat team like deployment!

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it is any consolation, I've been trick or treating in snow with my boys for every year except one for my oldests seven years! Just dress appropriately underneath the costume, and protect it with a clear dollar store rain poncho :) easy fix! Colds aren't caused by cold weather, they are caused by germs! Yeah, rain can put a damper on Halloween, but it should be no reason to stop completely! Have a nice cup of hot cocoa or cider when you get home...who knows...this could turn into the most memorable Halloween instead of the most miserable! All in how you approach it! Happy haunting!
This! My absolute favorite trick or treating memory is when my dad took me trick or treating when there was a spontaneous snowfall starting Halloween morning. It didn't let up all day and was still falling while I was trick or treating. I got SO much candy because there were fewer trick or treaters. We just added layers under my costume and came home to hot soup that my mom prepared.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What is the mania sweeping America concerning indoor ToTing? Or ToTing on a convenient night instead of October 31st? I think it sucks, bad.

Part of the fun is walking from house to house in bad weather and not caring. Or wearing a coat over your costume and being mad but doing it anyway.

I grew up north and it always was cold and rainy or snowy on halloween. We went and had fun and have great memories. One year it rained and I wore a pair of my mom's high heels with my costume. My heels sank in the mud and I had to leave them and go in my stocking feet. Mom wasn't too mad!

Although it was cold, I didn't get sick and we laugh about the muddy heels.

Halloween isn't at a mall the day before Halloween. It is halloween night! We had church and school events that added to halloween, but still went ToTing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am so sorry this happened!! I'd be very disappointed as well.

But, I would like to offer you the bright side! Think of this as an opportunity!

You see, one Halloween when I was very little... it was very cold and rained. I'm talking nearly a downpour. Of course I didn't mind, care, or notice much. Except that I was disappointed that my mom bundled me up and covered most of my costume up with a rain coat. But the opportunity here - and why it was a great Halloween - was because there weren't many people out - and as the little Morton salt girl says, When it rains it pours! She must have been talking about the candy! Bags and bags and bags of candy!! My mom made me stop - not because of the weather - but because we had collected too much candy to carry!

All in all it was a great Halloween and nobody got a cold or anything.

I hope you and your kids can bundle up and still have a great Halloween! More candy for you!

By the way, a friend of mine also remembers this Halloween as one of her favorites. Her mom dressed her up as the Morton Salt girl!

Also, your post reminded me of this cool costume I saw the other day:

http://www.marthastewart.com/269274/8-no-sew-costumes-bubble-wrap-jellyfish

Built in umbrella!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with the others stating you should tot on Halloween despite the weather.

One of the few Halloweens I remember was toting with my best friend when we were about 9 yo. and it was cold and rainy. His mom would drop us off on one block and pick us up at another.
One of the houses we went to had a handicap ramp leading to the front door. We didn't get any candy but I laughed my a$$ off when my friend slipped and rolled down the ramp - it's all about the experience!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts