Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until just the other day I was going to keep the decorations in storage and forget about Halloween this year. As many of us know the past year has been tough for everyone with the troubles in the economy, the price of gas, etc. I could go on and on. Unfortunately, my family has become of victim of the economy as well. My wife lost her job in March and has not been able to find work since, and with all the other little things going wrong (flooded basement, strong storms this Spring and Summer that has forced me to put a new roof on the house) money has become the #1 issue this year. Starting in late July I was able to pick up a part-time job to help supplement the loss of income of my wife, but things are still tough. On top of money issues I would also have the time element to deal with as well. As I mentioned, I all but decided to pass on Halloween this year until this past weekend at a local festival a dozen people (kids and adults) told me how much they are looking forward to my display this Halloween. On top of that my 3 year old daughter has not stopped talking about Halloween since she watched Beetle Juice on TV a few weeks back…

So, I realized that Halloween is not just about me, the money, or the time it takes to build props and set up displays - It's about the people, of all ages, that for one night enjoy the Halloween holiday. These are the people that take the extra car ride or walk to my house from blocks away just to spend 15 or 20 minutes walking around the yard enjoying the decorations and scenes I created.

Well, I am proud to say that Halloween is a “GO” for 2009! I typically start planning for Halloween in July, so I am way behind. Any ideas for this coming year, especially cheap, but “scary” and worthwhile please post to this thread.

Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just had to say WOOOHOOOO! :D I am glad that you are doing your set up. I think it's times like now, when things have been pretty rough for a lot of folks for quite a while, that's when people need things like an awesome event to look forward to more than ever. :) I'm sure it will help lift their spirits as well as your own. BRAVO!!!

As far as cheap and very effective projects.....DEFINITELY loev the PVC candles. They lend such a spooky air and are sooo inexpensive. Also the skelly sconces that Voodoo Willy has posted about. They are cheap, easy, and look incredible.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Well hip hip hooray for you deciding to do Halloween, (Spooki does a fabulous backflip) As for cheaper props I have to say my husband built two ground breaker coffins for $0 He got the plans from here and it calls for a pallet. They came out awesome and didnt cost a thing, not even the nails and screws because we always have lots of those around. You can do so much with them all you need to do is get your hands on a pallet. I got mine from my job and from driving around shopping centers around back where they dispose of them. Also Home Depot will give them to you for free when they are done if they dont need them. You can put fog in them or lights they look like they are busting out of the ground and give a nice effect. You cant get cheaper than free:)

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
Well I to am glad you going to do the haunt this year! I also understand about the money problems as does everyone here! "IT SUCKS" I to thought about not doing it because of money but try to keep everything to a minimum budget but good luck and I hope the wife finds a new good job to pay for our addictions! Well your addiction!

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
well, it sounds like a tight situation for you, i am glad you are going to do something enjoyable out of it. what have you done in the past years? are there any of that around? in my previous town i lived in my lumber yard drew up coffin plans, cut my wood, and donated some nails and lumber towards my haunt because i do it for the towns people to enjoy. the city hall lent me a table and the lumber yard picked it up and delivered it along with my lumber. maybe something like this would help

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Sad story but a happy ending....can't get better than that! You rock :D

MsM

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey, I'm glad to hear that you are going to be decorating this year! I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but, if nothing else, at least all the last minute planning will keep your mind off it. ;-)

·
Registered
329 Posts
This was a really touching post - it made me feel all fuzzy and warm inside!!! :D

I'm so sorry to hear that you have had a tough time this year, as I'm sure you know ..you are by no means alone, but together we stand stronger, even through adversity. I'm so glad you're going ahead with your Halloween plans and I hope you have a wonderful holiday season :)

·
The Minister of Macabre
953 Posts
Hang in there my friend! Money has been tight in my house-hold as well. There are several props and additions I wanted to add this year, but with unexpected events and rising costs, I simply could not afford them. the best part of halloween is creating things lying around that people don't use. Try using old fabric, cheese cloth and sheets to help make a scene aged and abandoned. Like the otheres said, pallets have so many uses! I have found that my best displays are the ones I made simple, people will see what they want to see. I am gald to hear your story and more glad you decided to keep it going! I wish you the best of luck this year, and look forward to seeing your pics on the forum! Halloween is that one special time of the year where we can let go and let our imaginations be unleased!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm pulling for ya. I am in that very same boat. Looking for really cheap too unless a great job opens up really fast. can't wait to see what you end up with.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm glad you're not passing up halloween this year! I imagine every week closer to halloween you may have regreted passing it up. Alot of us are in the same situation this year, but stay strong.
We are going super cheap this year but by no means less scary as my family and I have found the joys of chicken wire and paper mache :) We've already made 3 giant (and scary) pumpkins and are working on the 'the grumble' scarecrow from spookyblue.com --thanks a ton spoolyblue--

1 gal Elmers glue - $12.99
2 phone books - free
chicken wire $7.99
tax - $2.15 (10.25% sales tax! boo!)
fun for the whole famile - PRICELESS!

we spend alot of time on craigslist and freecycle searching for things to use that cost very little to nothing at all. Right now we're searching for old cedar fence pickets to make coffins and boarding up the windows.
Keep busy, have as much fun as you can, spend lots of time with the family and hang in there buddy. Better times are on the way

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
First, HAVE FUN!!! Relax and remember that this is your hobby - don't stress yourself out trying to do it all.
Obviously, you've been doing this awhile - recycle what you have! Move things around, look at your haunt from outside the box - get some ideas here about rearranging, different lighting, different order.
Again, HAVE FUN. This is your time to get away from the external pressures and do something for yourself - the fact that others appreciate it is the icing on the cake...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just hang tough. It sounds to me that you are already feeling better about having halloween this year. And your right, it's about the little kids and the neighbors that enjoy all your effort for one special night. Meeps is right, you rock.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Great to hear! I think we can all relate in some way. I know my side work I do has become more required to pay bills than just extra money to save for a vacation. If you dont have time and money, just put up what you had last year. If you find some time, I would suggest a pallet coffin. Between the stuff I have in the garage and the free pallets I havnt spent a dime on this project.

Keep the spirit going! This is the kind of stuff people need when times are tough.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for your replies and support. The more I read the Threads on this site, the more excited I become for Halloween. If I had time this weekend, I would begin building props.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to give an update to my original post: 24 days to Halloween and I haven't even started. I take that back, I pulled a few totes full of decorations out of the basement just the other day. It's going to be a miracle if I pull off Halloween this year. I estimate that I have roughly 40 hours of the next 24 days to get things together and on display. My only helper in setting up the displays (my dad) went in for hip replacement surgery two weeks ago, thus leaving me stranded to do Halloween on my own. He picked a great time of the year, but I still love him and appreciate all the help he has provided in the past. Now he gets to sit back and pretend he is in charge and can dictate what I should go...ughh! ha ha ha...

Anways, I have minimized my orginal plans and am planning on reorganizing what I currently have in storage in different ways that in the past. Only new things this year will be a movie theater scene in the garage and I am hoping to turn the graveyard into a toxic spill graveyard (adding oil drums, green slime, and zombies) - kind of going for the Night of the Living Dead theme.

Nothing to exciting, but it's better than nothing at all. Can't imagine the disappointment from the kids and neighbors if the house was dark on Halloween.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts