Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm considering getting a bartender for my party this year and my idea is to have a drink menu all printed out with different mixed drinks on it. Does anyone have a special drinks they like to serve at their parties?

·
Registered
13 Posts
At our party with young kids I have tried to keep booze minimal but every year I put out Jars or pickled slugs ( peach slices in amaretto ), poisen cherries ( mericheno cherries in vodka or everclear) adults eat em up kids wont touch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For my last two parties, I've had a Wheel of Torture that guests can spin for a "specialty" drink (see pic link below). Here are some of the drinks we did last year... these were all small shots, not really drinks to sip :D The previous year we did a lot of test tube shots and cocktails with black vodka (Blavod).

Corpse Reviver (No. 2)
1 shot gin
1 shot Cointreau
1 shot Lillet Blanc
1 shot fresh lemon juice
Dash of absinthe or substitute (roughly ¼ teaspoon)
Shake well with ice and strain in to a cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Wicked Witch
1.5 oz. Whiskey
0.25 oz. Maraschino Liqueur
0.25 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 tsp. Lemon Juice

Silver Bullet
Peppermint Schnapps
Chocolate Syrup
(I thought about making this one just a shot of Coors beer, but I hate beer ;P)

Brain Hemorrhage
Peach Schnapps
Bailey's
Grenadine
(here are directions and pics: Brain Hemorrhage Shot - Halloween Drink - pretty similar to the Alien Autopsy below. These drinks were favorites because they look gross but are pretty tasty)

Alien Autopsy
Mountain Dew
Bailey's
Grenadine
(directions on this page: I Make Projects - A Cannibal-Themed Halloween Supper - slightly different ingredients & execution from the brain hemorrhage)

Zombie
Store bought Zombie Mix

Mad Scientist was bartender's choice... so whatever I felt like mixing up :D And Pick Your Poison was the guest's choice of any drink on the wheel.

Here's my Wheel of Torture from last year (a painted $7.99 lazy susan from Ikea)
http://www.halloweenforum.com/picture.php?albumid=1371&pictureid=17851

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know I just showed up again out of the blue.....but I just read a pretty cool thing today. You can make Candy Corn Vodka by getting an airtight container of candycorn and filling it with vodka and letting soak over night then filtering the hell out of it the next day. I've done this with skittles and vodka before and it's an amazing way to taste the rainbow if you know what I mean lol.

Also, I can't remember the name of it but you take a rocks glass and rub a lime on the rim then dip it in black sugar. Then it's 1/4 cup of dark rum mixed with 1/4 cup ginger ale. Put a gummy black spider in the bottom and it looks really festive. Got the recipe from a food network magazine

·
Registered
462 Posts
I suggest trying the Brain Hemorrhage before serving it. Tried it last year and thought it was disgusting. So did the guest I served one to. Problem is that the Baliey's coagulates in your mouth and surprise chunky drinks are just gross. The peach shnapps tasted really bad too. It looks cool, but what a waste of Baileys!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also, I can't remember the name of it but you take a rocks glass and rub a lime on the rim then dip it in black sugar. Then it's 1/4 cup of dark rum mixed with 1/4 cup ginger ale. Put a gummy black spider in the bottom and it looks really festive. Got the recipe from a food network magazine
Ooh, that's a Dark and Stormy, one of my favorite fall drinks. If you pour it carefully, you can get the rum and ginger beer to layer, making a really cool "stormy sky" effect.

I've always wanted to try the black vodka for Halloween. I saw a picture of a screwdriver made with that as a layered drink, so it was half orange, half black. I suppose it would look pretty murky once you mixed it to drink it, but that'd be ok for Halloween, too!

I like making apple-pie type drinks, like apple cider, vanilla vodka, and cinnamon schnapps shaken together and poured into a martini glass.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I was also considering hiring a bartender. But I think due to budget we are going to just have a bar area set up. We have one of those alcohol bottle spinners that holds 4 bottles. I want to find two shot recipes, each with two ingredients and have the bottles to make those in the holder with the recipes posted. I'll let you know once I find the shot recipes I saw last year.

I was also going to look into renting the frozen drink mixers (kinda like slushee machines). We would call the pina coladas something about marrow and daquiris something about blood. Any good name ideas anyone?

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,010 Posts
Lots of neat recipes here. One quick suggestion...serve the drinks in unexpcted glasses (i.e. test tubes, small beakers etc)

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
oh you HAVE to make Apple Pie!! I discovered this last fall, and o.m.g. - But BEWARE - it'll hit ya, before ya know it!! ;)

1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon cider
1 liter Everclear
....some sugar...sorry dont remember how much! - found my recipe, 1 cup!
5 cinnamon sticks

simmer all but the alcohol for 1-2 hours (btw makes the kitchen smell so yummy and fallish!)

let liquid cool - then add Everclear.

This makes a lot obviously - almost 3 gallons. so you need a big stock pot, and then several containers to put finished product in. I made this for my Halloween party last year - not a drop left over, and 5 friends had to stay the night!! LOL It's yummy, I can't wait to make it this year!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Last year we did candy-flavored shots. Every half hour or so, the bartender would walk around with a trayful of shot glasses, with the appropriate candy in a bowl. We had:

Peppermint Patties
Milky Way
Bit O Honey (really good!)
Jolly Ranchers
Tootsie Rolls

I don't have the recipes handy, but they weren't hard to find. Oh, and we had Absinthe, and an Absinthe drip.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A cool thing I did a couple years ago I was reading this Home and Garden Magazine or something in my dentists office waiting for my turn (they always have the best Magazines to read right? :/ ) and there was an article by like Martha Stewart or whatever about making these hands and face ice cubes.

What you do is take a pair of plastic gloves (powder FREE!) and one of those cheap translucent Tramp masks, you know the plastic clear ones with the face drawn on the front? Anyways, you take the gloves fill them about half way with water and freeze them. You seal the eye and mouth slits of the mask and do the same.

Then when they are frozen you drop them into a punch bowl and they float looking like a man floating beneath the punch.

It took a couple tries to get it to work out correctly, and a little shaving of the ice so it looked good, but they came out pretty neat.

Here is an image of a similar 'frozen hand' that I found on Google:

Also, for people that are looking for Drink Recipes Webtender ( The Webtender - Cocktail & Mixed Drink Recipes and Bartending Guide ) is a pretty good resorce for Halloween drings or otherwise.

-Harry

·
Registered
281 Posts
oh and a good non-alcoholic drink that looks radio-active is sour apple mixer with mountain dew. I'm sure you could put vodka in it for a spin on an apple-tini

·
Registered
33 Posts
Swamp water cocktails are really fun, especially for a southern-themed Halloween party. They look like a swamp but are essentially just really yummy mojiots. And if you can get your hands on some Blavod vodka, a layered "Black Widow" cocktail (made with cranberry, but you can also use OJ) looks very cool and is super easy to make. No bartender necessary.

Both recipes are here:

Halloween Cocktail Recipes for Halloween Alcoholic Drinks

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you like coconut

Bloody-Rimmed Martini

3/4 cup half & half or light cream
1/2 cup coconut rum
1/2 cup vanilla vodka or vanilla rum
1/2 cup cream of coconut
Mix all ingredients and shake over ice
Drizzle red decorating icing or corn starch tinted red around the rim of martini glasses
makes 4-6

1 - 20 of 31 Posts