Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a post elsewhere on the forum about people handing out healthy treats like apples and I started laughing out aloud as it brought to mind a Halloween story from my misspent youth.

I was 13 or 14 at the time and was assigned the unenviable task of taking my younger brother around town for trick or treating. We were making the rounds when we ran into a guy I knew from school named Mitch. Mitch was one of the toughest guys in school and had a well deserved reputation as a bad ***. As we stood there talking to Mitch on the sidewalk a car drove by and shot a blast from a fire extinguisher in Mitch's general direction and that was all it took. Even though the blast had not come anywhere close to hitting any of us, Mitch took off after the guys in the car on foot and my brother and I continued with the Trick or Treating happy to have escaped without further incident . My brother asked me who that guy was and I told him he didn't want to know.
Later that night as we were wrapping up the annual tour of duty, we ran into Mitch again not knowing that the house we had just left was Mitch's house. "What'd my old man give you?" Mitch asked. My brother looked in his bag and said, "An apple." Mitch asked if he wanted it and my brother said "No" and handed it to Mitch. Without a second of hesitation Mitch threw the apple back at his own house and screamed out, "Here's your apple back you cheap *** bastards." as the apple smashed against the house with a gigantic thud. Mitch's Dad came busting out of the house looking for blood and Mitch turned to my brother and I just as calm as you could be and said, "You guys better start running." Mitch's Dad chased us for 5 or 6 blocks but never actually caught us. To this day that remains one of my most cherished childhood memories of Halloween.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
GREAT STORY!
One Halloween night some other teenager threw a large water melon at my car,it hit the door making a loud noise.
As I drove around this small town people were pointing and staring at my car. I finally stopped and got out to examine this "Damage".
I never got to see it because when I got out and slammed the door it popped right back out into it's original Detroit configuration (Dent-less)
It was a 1959 Ford 2-door.

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
When we were in high school I went trick or treating with my friend Denise after the parade (we were in the hs band). Having decided to be ghosts and covering ourselves with sheets we'd swiped from home, it was hysterically giggling girly fun. We ToTed and wandered all over town, and continued well after everything had closed. Just us on the empty streets, sheets over our heads, it was a glorious Indian summer night for so late in the fall in Michigan. I'll never forget it. We'd had some doors shut in our faces for being too old and life was changing. It's a special memory for me.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've got some good ones, but they're from well before my time.

This is a pretty small place, but Halloween used to be absolutely HUGE here. Everybody participated, one way or another. Parades, dances, trick or treating, pranks... big holiday.

Stealing outhouses used to be the thing to do. Go find one, pick it up, dump it at the 4-way stop on main street. When that intersection filled up, start putting them at the other intersections. The whole length of main street would be so full of crap - candy, wrappers, hay or straw, noisemakers, pumpkins, etc. that they had to bring in a truck to clear a single lane for people to get through the next day.

In 1957, somebody stole both an outhouse and the big "welcome to..." highway sign! And they put them together in the next town over, so there's no mistaking where they came from. I have a newspaper picture somewhere. It's hilarious. There's always been a bit of silly, snarky rivalry between these two towns, going back to their founding.

Sometime later, late 60's I think, somebody actually set main street on fire. Spread hay/straw, kerosene or gasoline, and lit it up. The asphalt caught on fire, so that was a spectacle.

And of course, there used to be lots of toilet papering, egging, water balloons, soaping windows, and just a huge general noisemaking. This is adults and kids, btw. You'd go to the aforementioned neighboring town to do your pranking, of course.

Oh, to have just a small bit of that same Halloween spirit today. Imagine that level of participation with the technology we have today. Though I'd still like to find an outhouse one year...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts