Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I go "Halloween season insane" from decorations to baking to dinner ware. Every aspect of my house is done up for the month of October. But three years ago after my ex and I broke up it seems that all of our "friends" no longer have time for me. I've reached out to people, some respond and that's it and most is never hear from. I am no longer the kind of person who likes to go to bars or clubs or host crazy parties. But I can't even do anything small at home because of these "friends" I've rid my life of pretty much all of them and even the few actually good friends of mine seem to forget when I invite them to do things, never seem to respond back to me. I really am hitting a point of great sadness between my health issues and fake "friends" I do feel alone. This year was the worst and when Halloween started approaching I was happier and started planning (way later than I ever have lol) and this was the weekend I was going to have some people over and they all had an excuse. Don't get me wrong it's obvious these people are a waste of my time but of course it still hurts. This weekend I feel like my Halloween spirit died. Halloween is my favorite time of year from its Irish roots to what it has been made into today! I even have hopes of someday owning my own haunt in my home town. But this weekend sadly I feel more depressed than usual. I feel more lonely and as if my dreams died. It sounds a bit dramatic I know, but Halloween is truly the one thing that makes me feel genuinely happy :) I couldn't even spend the weekend with my boyfriend because he received over time this weekend. Which is great of course! I'm tired of being around people and feeling so alone. I can't lose my Halloween spirit, my future plans keep me going and keep me happy :) if anyone has some uplifting words of wisdom or has gone through a similar situation I would love to hear from you. It might help me out a bit this year :) thanks for reading my rant, I appreciate it.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:( I am sorry to hear about what you are going through....and my advice to you is what you already know....those "friends" aren't really friends. I know that doesn't help you this year, but you definitely need to find friends with similar interests. (one of those being Halloween) And make sure you find friends that are YOUR friends, not just "couple" friends. Even though you have a boyfriend, it is nice sometimes to have friends that are just yours, that aren't dependant on the whole "couple thing". But for this year, don't be depressed because you want to throw a party and you don't have guests to come to it. Do something different this year. For me, I like doing things for others, so find a neighbor and "Boo" them. Leave a Halloween treat on their doorstep and a note that says something about spreading Halloween cheer. (stuff like that always puts a smile on my face) Or treat yourself to a good Halloween movie, buy your favorite treats and have a full on "movie night". Work on props for next year, plan for a party or get together for next year. Halloween is sort of way of life for people on this forum, take advantage of your weekend to yourself and do things just for you. Buy a pumpkin and carve it up, rub some cinnamon and allspice on the roof of the pumpkin and enjoy the smell of pumpkin flesh and spices and let if fill your home with Halloween. First and last, no one can make you lose your Halloween spirit except for you. :) Chin up! There is always next year! :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not depressed because of this whole situation I've had depression for years but This situation doesn't help at all! Him and I don't even have couple friends either lol my Halloween spirit is dying from all angles. I know it would be a better weekend had my boyfriend been home with me, but over time is good. Thank you for your advice, I do like the idea of spreading Halloween cheer :) sounds fun. The only thing like that I've done, is this year is the first time I've ever done the card exchange. That so far is pretty up lifting, not sure who has received their cards yet though lol.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I can so relate to this and here is why and here is what I am doing about it. To make a long story short. I was with someone who I thought I was going to be with for life. Anyway, after a few years, she just sort of abandoned the relationship. Went into a depression over it. This was about a year and a half ago. Last Halloween season, I had a couple of friends that I asked to go do Halloween stuff with. They went. However, I was sort of the third wheel. Also, I don't think they have they have the passion for this stuff like I do. Anyway, here we are this season. I have not done anything for the season with the exception of going to a few Halloween stores. No horror conventions, no horror park in New Hampshire, no apple picking, pumpkin patches etc... I suppose I could have asked some people, but really didn't want to be a third wheel or deal with hassles. Also, I am seeing that these things are much more enjoyable when you are with someone that shares the passion for these things and someone you are close to.

This is the first year in about 18 years that I have not done all my traditional things. What I did to balance things was to take it upon myself to buy some things that I have been wanting for years. Different masks, figures, posters etc. I have to say, even though I have not done anything this season, it has not been that bad. I have so many great new items to enjoy and add to my massive Halloween/Horror/Art collection.

At some point, I hope to, but won't hold my breath, meet someone with the same interests. However, sometimes being single has its good points. Hang in there. The passion for Halloween is still very much alive in you, you will find that out soon.

p.s. This thread shows some of the things I have bought this season.

Rob

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/131997-new-additions-my-mask-collection.html#post1552644

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to go to scare a con this year, I've never been. It's in Syracuse NY and I live in upstate NY I didn't go (regret that) I've had that the last times I tried to make an effort to hang out with these people and yeah they make me the third wheel or they invite their friends to my events or outings and that I find rude. I am mistreated and then they all get into it when I call then out. They don't think they're bad friends and that's fine I guess. I don't need people to be so dedicate to it as I am, but I do need friend who love the holiday and can respect its history. Since all these people disrespect my Irish heritage by getting trashed on st.patricks day because they think that is how the day is actually celebrated in Ireland. It's not by the way, they only made it legal to drink on the day due to visitors. Anyway, they most the time can't even be bothered to call or text and say hey I forgot or hey I can't make it. These people have never gotten to me but this year they just destroyed my desire to do anything. And I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but sadly at this time I feel I can't control it but it will work out I know it will. My boyfriend and I did the same, we went out and just spent a good amount of money on decorations and stuff. And it was nice, we get to enjoy them. I do very much like enjoying these things with others. I made Halloween pillows this year which is something I've wanted to do for years. I also created a Facebook page dedicated to Halloween, also something I've wanted to do for a while :) you two have cheered me up!! Thank you!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't gone apple picking either :( or any other seasonal activity.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Not to worry, Spirit ebbs and flows, it's natural...
Next year Halloween falls on a Friday. In 2015, Saturday night. Your "Spirit" will return with a vengeance. In the meantime, watch a few horror flicks, some of the new TV Series (Sleepy Hollow, Grimm) and definitely visit a commercial Haunted House.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to worry, Spirit ebbs and flows, it's natural...
Next year Halloween falls on a Friday. In 2015, Saturday night. Your "Spirit" will return with a vengeance. In the meantime, watch a few horror flicks, some of the new TV Series (Sleepy Hollow, Grimm) and definitely visit a commercial Haunted House.
agreed :) thank you.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds like this is the year to take a break from going all out on Halloween. Sit back, relax, light a few candles, and have fun handing out candy this Thursday. Every year doesn't need to be a big affair and if fair-weather friends are killing your mood, put on a movie to get your mind off of it. Sounds like you've already addressed the issues you have with your friends and they don't respect you enough to acknowledge that their behavior is making you uncomfortable. Maybe it's best to avoid inviting them to parties in the future (or be very explicit that they cannot bring their own friends) It could even be time to look for new friends. Best of luck in finding a tiny bit of Halloween cheer this year!

·
Registered
73 Posts
First off, I hope you are doing better with your depression. Throwing crazy parties is something I missed out on entirely so I can relate with that, I was kicked out of every "crazy” Halloween party I went to as a teen cause I was the "creepy injun kid”. As for friends they come and go and you'll always have time to make more, watch a couple of horror movies on halloween or dress up and go trick or treating for the hell of it. There are many opportunitys out there and I am going to dress up and watch movies with my family. All my kids are teens so they'll probably want to go partying.... I wish you all the luck with your Halloween and there is always next year. Happy Halloween!

P.S maybe make a couple jack o lanterns or spread the Halloween cheer by scaring complete strangers... bottom line is don't let fake friends bring you down cause life is too short for that. Again Happy Halloween and may you vist many scare a cons in the future!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like this is the year to take a break from going all out on Halloween. Sit back, relax, light a few candles, and have fun handing out candy this Thursday. Every year doesn't need to be a big affair and if fair-weather friends are killing your mood, put on a movie to get your mind off of it. Sounds like you've already addressed the issues you have with your friends and they don't respect you enough to acknowledge that their behavior is making you uncomfortable. Maybe it's best to avoid inviting them to parties in the future (or be very explicit that they cannot bring their own friends) It could even be time to look for new friends. Best of luck in finding a tiny bit of Halloween cheer this year!
yeah I've held back from doing to much the last few years. But I will get my movies out and enjoy the night with my boyfriend and dogs lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just so everyone knows I've had depression since I was very young. I would never claim depression over a party lol but of course this feeling doesn't help, but I just wanted you guys to know. That way you don't think in being a whiner over just a party :) there are several things in my life that have gotten worse over the last two years. But things will get better and I always have to remember that it could be worse. There are people with far worse problems than mine :) thanks everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts