Halloween Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This is the Nobel collection Riddle Diary, which I was lucky enough to get cheap 2nd hand. I had my husband drill a hole right through it. Then I proceeded to cut away the opening with a knife. I then tried to burn it with a utility lighter-the pages would hardly singe-like a real horcrux it would not burn! So I painted it to look burnt! I also painted it to look like the real movie prop.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Monster book of Monsters is a big old discarded history book, paint the side pages gold and then a black wash to age it. The "face" was tin foil and craft store eyes, I glue gunned the foil for smoothness and painted it brown (avoid the eyes.) The faux fun fur was measured and I left a jagged edge for the wild look. A pinch of hot glue in each "V" makes it pointy. Kid's vampire teeth were re-sculpted with the glue gun. add an old belt and you're done...
I also made a 2nd Monster book of Monsters completely chewed up by the first one. (In the story the book shop owner complained that these book had a habit of fighting all the time and shredded pages were everywhere!)

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So this is the "closed" White Wyvern pub in Knockturn Alley but in front of it is a rustic town board display for the "Wanted" (more evil) wizard on the loose..."Sirius Black!" It is a large gaming tablet and the Sirius Black poster that moves and (silently) screams is looped and looks like the movie Wanted posters.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Another smaller feature on the right door to the pub (which is papered with old newspapers because it's closed) is
one of those "moving" picture frames. It's set into the newspaper and it is Dumbledore. When turned on, like the wanted poster, the newspaper becomes the magical piece it was in the Potter movies and loops the headmaster shutting the door to Hogwarts (exactly like the front page photo!) Only the kids see "Magic"!

Attachments

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,323 Posts
Wow! Impressive! Kreacher and Dobby are high on my list of projects to complete and just hoping they turn out half as good as yours.

I have to say I find the completed Mandrake more sinister than the censored naked doll baby. :D

Oh and what brand of clay are you using?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bought self hardening "Craftsmart" Natural gray clay from Michael's-a square box of 10 lbs. is $14. (It comes in white and brown too.) I like the gray. Kreacher has very pronounced features-(he'll be easier than Dobby I believe.) If you make him just look online for all his face angles. I make the center of the head a tight form of tin foil-not solid clay, it's a waste. I put clear nail polish over his eyes, which were first painted with acrylic paint. I agree with you about the Mandrake-he looks like he could bite the $4!T out of you given the chance. I always like the creepy stuff in any story. Harry Potter has a lot of that kind of thing and the story just glances over most of it. (I want to see the Hogwart's kitchen with house elves milling about, dropping stuff and a head chef making it magically hop back onto the plate, Quirrell being transformed into the double headed monster with the Lord Voldemort's parasitic growth and Tom Riddle screwing around with the orphan kids, teasing them with magic and scaring them...(scenes they left out.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
And about that censored naked baby doll? Apparently the next photograph where the very same baby is coated in "clear" glue- that's OK to view...for some unfathomable reason...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Another fun thing you can do is buy those large pastel Easter eggs at Michael's craft store after the holiday when they are marked down. It takes a jigsaw to cut the jagged lines but then you can open the egg, paint both sides and slip in a baby dragon. (*That's a Todd McFarlane dragon.)

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Here's that doll in Universal Orlando. This one was tough. I found a doll with a dress almost identical (and then I sewed on the seed pearls in the exact pattern.) That part was easy. I then cracked open the (thrift shop) doll's head and the small skull I had intended to place in it didn't fit. So I fashioned some clay to look like "skull" and painted 1/2 her face to look like the rest of the skull. In her arm, which I also cracked open, I put a dried out chicken bone (who's going to know?) and painted the inside of the arm a deep ox blood red.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Mandrake baby was just a plastic baby doll, some craft store leaves and stems (jammed into the head along with a string for hanging) and brown twine tied to wrists and ankles. I covered that bad boy with 22 hot glue sticks head to toe...(sculpting his face like the movie mandrake.) I painted it w/ acrylics and added a little moss.
That looks awesome! I did my own a few years back.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That looks awesome! I did my own a few years back.
Oh Wow! He is very creepy-love it! You have your own personal style and it's super-that is a very cool mandrake-clean lines-scary-excellent job! (I see a little Harry Potter party getting prepared here-bring on the polyjuice!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Another thing I like to do is paint my pumpkins black (matte black house paint). Pint the entire pumpkin, not the bottom, not the stem. Dry, then carve. The shocking orange is beautiful against the black.
Another trick is to age those white plastic skeletons-(animal, human or fantasy creature) dab on acrylic paint with a cloth-mustard color and tan to brown shades for a dingy old graveyard skeleton...

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts