Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making self-hardening clay sculpts for my Harry Potter display. There aren't many creatures found in Knockturn Alley but I think the one shop mentioned in Wiki could be for "beasts"-(The Spiny Serpent.) Does anyone use a different medium for this type of sculpture?

First, Shrunken heads. The hair can be rooted in by poking it into the soft clay with a oven thermometer (or any pokey tool.)

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next I tried a Grindylow, peeking out of a cauldron with 2 small hands gripping the side...I used a real fish jaw so the teeth are sharp. I painted it with Acrylics and used an expensive liquid clear acrylic to make the inside look wet. The smell was incredible (I did it outside-still the fumes were tough.)

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the BIg V, okay, Lord Voldemort, I had a hollow plastic bust from a Halloween store. I couldn't cut off the nose because it'd leave a hole so I tried to just paint over it.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Mandrake baby was just a plastic baby doll, some craft store leaves and stems (jammed into the head along with a string for hanging) and brown twine tied to wrists and ankles. I covered that bad boy with 22 hot glue sticks head to toe...(sculpting his face like the movie mandrake.) I painted it w/ acrylics and added a little moss.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Hand of Glory is just a mannequin hand with a black plastic work glove over it, covered with drips and strings of hot glue, long fake (press on) finger nails, then painted brown and crackled and the hand was dabbed with yellow/brown and grays to look extra rotten!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kreacher was more work. I sculpted his head, a hand and a foot. He's attached to a wooden structure you don't see because we put a small robe on him. (yeah yeah I know, house elves don't wear those...) But he's hunting for Mundungus so he has to blend in!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Monster book of Monsters is a big old discarded history book, paint the side pages gold and then a black wash to age it. The "face" was tin foil and craft store eyes, I glue gunned the foil for smoothness and painted it brown (avoid the eyes.) The faux fun fur was measured and I left a jagged edge for the wild look. A pinch of hot glue in each "V" makes it pointy. Kid's vampire teeth were re-sculpted with the glue gun. add an old belt and you're done...

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom Riddle's diary is super easy. Take a black journal (or paint it black), split a hole down the middle of the cover (in the middle and don't push all the way through.) Peel back the edges and paint it to look like Tom's Diary. (If you want a basilisk fang an animal horn works or the right stick will do-paint to look like the fang.) Dumbledore didn't have the fang in his desk with the diary so why bother.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Dementor (love those guys!) was made with the spine , ribs and hips of a plastic skeleton, an elongated skull from a Halloween store, a black sheet, an old black turtleneck sweater, some wood poles and some black tulle to cover the "painted" skull face. Then for strips to flutter in the breeze more tulle! Monster gloves were attached to the sweater cuffs. he was hung with clear fishing wire. Feeling cold and unhappy yet?

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. The mandrake was cheap. I got the doll at a thrift shop for $2. (I used up my husband's hot glue gun ans glue sticks...yuk yuk) But the rest is twine, painting and some rubber cement for a little moss. I can handle this one easily as well and he stays together (where my clay one was too fragile to handle and eventually broke.) Now I can make a creepy high pitched scream and chase the kids yelling sometimes between screams- "cover your ears!"

·
Registered
600 Posts
The naked doll baby with stems growing out of his head apparently is "sensitive content" and therefore censored-who knew?
When you think of all the gore, torture, and demonic images shown here ... I have never seen the censored thing til YOUR picture. I would take that as a badge of honor.

"Oh, nice to meet you Mr. Gates, I have heard of your company. You may know me better as the prop maker whose props are so ... disturbing that the Halloween Forum had to censor some images. Yes, that's my work."

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you think of all the gore, torture, and demonic images shown here ... I have never seen the censored thing til YOUR picture. I would take that as a badge of honor.

"Oh, nice to meet you Mr. Gates, I have heard of your company. You may know me better as the prop maker whose props are so ... disturbing that the Halloween Forum had to censor some images. Yes, that's my work."
That's funny, thank you for starting my day with a laugh. It's a plastic baby doll with stems and leaves poking out of it's head. Every pre-k child in the world has undressed a baby doll. It's interesting that the computer picked up on the "naked" body aspect of it. I was surprised but that step to making a mandrake baby is not important. (However, in the Potter books, think about it...the idea of chopping these things up for a potion is more disturbing to me! The image of Nurse Pomfrey wielding a cleaver!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts