Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a letter from my son's school today. Monday October 24th is family fall night at school. The kids wear their costunes to school, there will be snacks, crafts, games and pumpkin carving/decorating. That's awesome! My son is so excited to wear his costume to school. Living in a small town is the best! (I never thought I'd hear myself say that...city girl that I am :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
That is great , We were talking to my sons teacher today she knows I am a halloween guy she asked if we could mhelp put a party together for the class My wife told her I would love too.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is great , We were talking to my sons teacher today she knows I am a halloween guy she asked if we could mhelp put a party together for the class My wife told her I would love too.
That's exciting too . I love doing the Halloween parties at school. Have fun!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds great. That reminds me, at my high school (I'm known as the resident "Ghost"), most Halloween-related matters go to me. Glad to see Halloween slowly but surely crawl back into schools, regardless of the grade.

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
Our schools do a Halloween parade every year and then the kids have a party afterwards. Sadly though, my daughter doesn't get to do it this year. She's in the middle school and that's when they stop participating. I always loved those parades though. Some of the costumes were hysterical.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Our schools do a Halloween parade every year and then the kids have a party afterwards. Sadly though, my daughter doesn't get to do it this year. She's in the middle school and that's when they stop participating. I always loved those parades though. Some of the costumes were hysterical.
We used to do this when I was in elementary school. It was one of the best days of the year, other than field trips and the last day before summer! They no longer do this in my home town, nice to see some towns still do!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Got a letter from my son's school today. Monday October 24th is family fall night at school. The kids wear their costunes to school, there will be snacks, crafts, games and pumpkin carving/decorating. That's awesome! My son is so excited to wear his costume to school. Living in a small town is the best! (I never thought I'd hear myself say that...city girl that I am :)
We moved to a smaller town from a big city too and love it. Our kids school sent home a list of my props they'd like to borrow for their "haunted house" and party too. I thought it was funny. I'm so glad you are excited, how wonderful for you and your child!

·
Registered
355 Posts
My daughter is having a party on the 29th or 30th at school (kindergarten) so I'm quite excited for her. I think that she'll be something calming-Alice in Wonderland! LOL I don't want the parents to know how crazy I am this early in her school career! :p

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
My best friend from High School is a 5th grade teacher in a large school district here in Up-state NY. She got the memo 2 weeks ago... NO mention of Halloween is to be made for fear of offending Muslims and Hindus. It is too be called Fall Festival from now on. There will still be parties and costume parades but not for Halloween. (-:

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
We used to do this when I was in elementary school. It was one of the best days of the year, other than field trips and the last day before summer! They no longer do this in my home town, nice to see some towns still do!
I can remember doing it in school as well and I'm out a loooooooooong time now. I wish all schools would do it. It's so much fun for the kids and I just can't see how this is offensive or wrong. And it is called a HALLOWEEN Parade, not a fall parade and the parties afterwards are called HALLOWEEN parties not a fall festival or anything like that. I really do feel bad for the kids who miss out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Every year, my elementary school let us wear our costumes to school and parade around the quad after school. Our parents were invited to show up, and prizes were awarded to the best-costumed children. One year, I was a gypsy fortuneteller, with a long skirt and shawls, big hoop earrings, and an overtuned goldfish bowl for my crystal ball. Another year, I was a ghoul, with a black gown and a skull on a stick. It was such fun!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm enjoying reading everyones storeis. I hate the fact that they took everything "Halloween" and made it "fall" but guess I can accept it as long as they keep celebrating it this way you know?! I still don't understand it though...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I remember all the fun we used to have around Halloween in school. Then one year, we were no longer allowed to dress up, wear make up/masks or anything. It's was kind of a bummer. The 24th is a Saturday btw.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know, our party is on the 24th- I guess I have the 24th etched into my brain. LOL The thing at school is on Mon the 26th. :)

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
When I was in elementary school we always had a school Halloween carnival. It was awesome. Every classroom had a booth and decorated. There were always a couple of rooms that were devoted to selling things like a general store for Halloween items and a bakery for home baked goods that were donated. One of the upper classrooms was always a haunted house, there was a photo room with various backgrounds where you could have photos made. One room was for a talent show and many participated. There was a huge chili dinner in the cafeteria. The entire area neighborhood turned out for it and it was great.

In junior high school we always had a huge all school party for Halloween with a spooky movie shown. I remember the first one was Edgar A. Poe's The Tell Tale Heart. I still remember being so scared and enthralled with the story.

When we reached 9th grade we got to have a Halloween party with a dance. It was really the highlight of the year.

When my kids were little they always had Halloween parties and got to dress up in costumes. Then they started making them bring the costumes instead of wearing them all day. They got to put them on for the afternoon parties. Today, there are no costumes allowed, but they still have parties and Halloween treats. My 7 year old niece (who lives with me) will have a pumpkin parade on the 30th. They are to decorate or carve a pumpkin and will parade around the halls of the school. They are encouraged to bring a wagon on something to pull the pumpkin in.

When I was teaching, the small school district always had a huge Halloween carnival in the gym with booths, cake walks, games, etc. Even the high school clubs and organizations took part in this as a fund raiser. My yearbook staff used to hold the haunted house in the basement tornado shelter of one of the buildings. The entry was from the outside. It was always musty and damp and was a great background for this. We always borrowed a casket from an area funeral home. It was the one they used to transport bodies when they had to be moved from another town. It was only pine, but looked great and did have the satin lining. The kids always loved it and it was so great.

For several years we made the rooms with cardboard walls. A local food plant donated the cardboard. It was so hard to keep the walls upright and when it was rainy, they fell. Finally, we got smart and put hooks in the ceiling and bought the large black plastic rolls and hung it like large sheets. It was much better and didn't fall during the night. It was light tight and eeire. We had numerous rooms including a chain saw room, the casket room, Psycho room, etc. As the movies came and went, we added the current theme from the hockey mask, Jason, etc. I rarely had to buy masks, because there was always someone in the school with one we could use. We just let the owner be a part of the spook house that year. I had some of the best vampires, witches and ghouls---all without having to pay for the makeup.

One year, we went to a local pipe manufacturing plant and got them to donate a huge PVC type pipe and cut it to the length we needed to fit from the top of the stairs opening down to the bottom of the basement. We used it as an entrance. You had to slide into the house and were immediately greeted by you guide at the bottom. We put several old sets of springs (cut out of an old mattress and covered with padded topping. It was very disorienting when you hit the bottom and tried to stand up and walk. It was a hoot!

We always had lines wrapped around the school and were told that our haunted house was as good as the big ones in the two larger adjoining towns.
It was an awesome fund raiser and so much fun.

They still have the carnival, but it is now a Fall Festival and NO haunted house!

I miss those days. I really didn't want to do the haunted house becuase it wasn't my thing. But, after starting it, I did love it and we had to be better and bigger every year. I just never carried this through to my home life until this year and I am finally having my first costume party and haunt.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Printersdevil- It was the same when I was in school. I grew up in Dallas and we too always had a halloween carnival at school complete with a haunted house. That was one of the best childhood memories I have is from that halloween carnival! The haunted house was always a little spooky for me though. LOL!! The cake walk was my favorite!!! How can we make these same memories for our kids? I guess they will have great memories too- just different than ours!

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
That's good they're doing something festiv! (spelling of festive?)- anyways, I don't see why they don't call it Halloween party though, since they're doing all Halloween things. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts