Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salutations and greetings all!

This year, instead of hosting a traditional party, I will be doing a handful of Halloween/Samhain-themed one-shot Dungeons & Dragons games. Some will be far spookier and creepier than others, but all will be fun and will have a LOT of silly and fun props and loot for the players.

I'm looking for some suggestions for some of these props and looted items. Some things I've considered so far are those cheap spider rings, glow stick necklaces, simple paper masks, stuff like that (and each will come with a fun or awesome or silly flavor attribute - such as the rings being +1 for "spidey senses" (i.e. perception); or glow stick necklaces adding +1 to fashion sense (they'll be able to add this to a charisma check with specific NPCs).

Anyone else done something similar to this and have some suggestions?

[And if anyone has campaign or NPC ideas, please feel free to share!]

·
Registered
260 Posts
sorry, I don't know if i'm reading this properly.
Are you playing a one shot Halloween D&D campaign and giving them real life props that gives them plus 1s for the in game play or is it that those particular things are in game loot? I want to contribute to this idea but I think im reading this all wrong. (busy day, not thinking clearly lol)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, I don't know if i'm reading this properly.
Are you playing a one shot Halloween D&D campaign and giving them real life props that gives them plus 1s for the in game play or is it that those particular things are in game loot? I want to contribute to this idea but I think im reading this all wrong. (busy day, not thinking clearly lol)
Hahaha, no worries! SO your first concept is correct - the idea is that they will get props in real life, but they will get in-game attributes/modifiers. And some of the real life loot will just be for fun (like, maybe they find a stash of treats in the goblins den in game, and in real life they'll get mini m&m packages or kit kats or whatever).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Allllllrighty! lets do this! (this might be long)

LOOT IDEAS:
wolf head ring -person wearing the ring can transform into a werewolf
toy boat -when it touches water it becomes a full size boat, when dry it shrinks back down
wand- "wand of the wild" wand with infinite uses, when used roll on the "wild magic" page
kazoo- "kazoo of intimidation" when played it gives the player +2 intimidation
eyeball- "watchers eye" glass eye with a counter part mirror, speak the inscription and see what the mirror sees. eye is asleep with a DC check of 15 or less
napkin- napkin of invisibility, piece of cloth renders anything wrapped in it invisible

PLOT IDEAS:
so I found a great quest line that i haven't utilized yet in my games. it was from an article named "the trajectory of fear" and it built up stages of fear into your adventurers . i can PM you the article about it because the story references what it means, but its pretty self explanatory. :D

THE KILLER DOLL
Let’s put the trajectory into practice in a sample game. In this scenario a town has suffered attacks from an animated killer doll. To keep their children safe they have sent them away to a neighboring town. The doll has a habit of hiding and spying on people before attacking, so the villagers are constantly fearful and do not mention the doll for fear that it may be listening. To prevent it hiding among regular dolls the villagers have nailed the children’s dolls to trees surrounding the village.
 *The adventurers ride towards a distant town. [normality, no fear]
 *Something is not right in this town. When the adventurers arrive they notice that the townsfolk seem fearful, and are constantly watching the shadows and glancing at the spaces under chairs. [unease] (have it be someone in the tavern and I will physically jump out of my chair and then sit back down like a man on the brink of a breakdown then have the NPC leave)
 *A spooky doll is found nailed to a tree, this is something that is out of place and a little psychotic. Maybe the person who did this is dangerous. Maybe the person who did this is still around. [dread]
 *The dread is defused because there is no doll-nailing-psycho around. The players are told by the GM that there are no children in town, which is odd. Even odder when you consider the doll nailed to a tree. [unease]
 *The adventurers find a tiny bloody hand-print. Is whatever made this around? Is somebody small in danger? [dread]
 *The bloody hand-print is old blood, there is no immediate danger and so the dread is defused. The adventurers notice that all the windows in every home are nailed shut. [unease]
 *The adventurers finally get a straight answer out of some of the townsfolk. A killer doll is on the loose. The players are uncertain if the killer doll is nearby. [dread]
 *As the adventurers head to bed they hear tiny footsteps nearby. The doll is here! They do not yet see it, but it certainly sees them. [terror]
 *The killer doll rushes from the shadows its tiny teeth filed to red points. This is horrific, but once the combat starts it is cathartic. [horror]
 *The adventurers vanquish the doll but its spirit flees to the nearest vessel, a doll nailed to a nearby tree. The adventurers set about systematically destroying every doll, denying the vile spirit refuge. However, as they ride out of town they find a tree with a nail in it and no doll – did the killer doll find a new body after all? [unease]

this is just a list of ideas ive had/come across no real detail kind of just hooks to be fleshed out:
 *the characters in their tavern room noticing the villagers scurrying inside at sun-down, and then half an hour later there is a strange sound outside
 * the characters hearing a gasp cut short from the common room of the tavern, a rasping breath like a wounded oxen, and inhuman footsteps getting closer on the wooden stairs. “The monster is here, and we must run, hide or fight”
 *PCs are tasked to bring a peace offering to a neighboring village, the offering ends up killing the village
 *Animated scarecrows everywhere. Can the party save the town long enough for the next day to dawn?
NOW this idea i did run and had fun with:
my story began with the PCs arriving in a small town for a meet up for a birthday party(they all knew the NPC from odd jobs throughout their lives) at a harbor town. Night approaches and the party begins, everyone starts drinking and partying, people fall asleep/ pass out. they then start awakening by hearing the sound of water gently moving and low chanting, and then screaming. when they open their eyes they see that the PCs and EVERY SINGLE NPC are buried to their heads in the sand with the tide approaching, and blacked robed people standing in the rows chanting. Slowly the water hits the first row of villagers then second then the PCs row. they can make saves but its not going to work lol. everything goes black and they reawaken on the shore line soaking wet. nobody knows how they escaped but they did. (i ended up making it a diety saved them because the black robed people are cultists trying to bring another diety to the world and they are trying to prevent that from happening, to help the PCs the diety gives them "special abilities") now...fun thing. the small town is completely EMPTY, ready to be looted. as they loot they begin hearing gurgling and splashing and soon realize the entire town has risen from the dead and are now water logged zombies they now have to battle. they can either stay and fight an ENTIRE town of zombies or run. after that do whatever you would like.

welp...that was long lol hope it helped.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW! These are awesome!! I have a ton of ideas floating around my DM binder, but I'm definitely going to add these ideas to my toolbox. The killer doll concept is absolutely terrifying [partially because I hate dolls]. I want to incorporate that into this terrifying mansion that I've been working on, but I was struggling with how to get them to the mansion, and I think I'm going to blend these two ideas together.

I also REALLY love the kazoo idea, it made me giggle. And yes, please do PM me the article, I'd love to see it!

Awesome! Thank you so so much! Happy DMing :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts